Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Pros v. Cons.........Bushings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pros v. Cons.........Bushings

Im looking to get some under the hood bushings. Right now I'm leaning towards the Works bushings since they are polyurethane and from what i have researched require less maintenance then aluminum ones (AMS, Buschur, etc.) such as needing lots a lubrication and re-lubrication or risk them seizing up. I also read that the aluminum ones can cause excessive wear on tranny parts.

Just wanted some opinions and maybe some pros and cons for the Works bushings versus any other brand.

thanks guys
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro - you get what you want and better shifter feel

Con - could be a waste of money
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Earthen
Con - could be a waste of money
why you say that?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

I'm interested in people's experiences with the two different types of under-hood shift linkage bushings as well..subscribed
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought the ones that were in the "modding your evo $100 at a time" thread. They are brass so you don't have to worry about the corrosion between the steel and aluminum. Brass is also softer than steel so there won't be any excessive wear on the tranny components. They also made a big difference in feel of shifting.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
I bought the ones that were in the "modding your evo $100 at a time" thread. They are brass so you don't have to worry about the corrosion between the steel and aluminum. Brass is also softer than steel so there won't be any excessive wear on the tranny components. They also made a big difference in feel of shifting.
didnt even think about the brass ones. How long have you had them in for? any issues/problems?
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Yup have the brass ones in my car as well. Been in there...... hell IDK how long many years .

Never an issue with seizing up or anything.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Yup have the brass ones in my car as well. Been in there...... hell IDK how long many years .

Never an issue with seizing up or anything.
Thanks for chiming in Luke.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ive had the aluminum buschur ones since jan 2007 and never have had any problems with mine shifting.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

Hey escodotcarter,

You may want to check out our under hood cable bushings. They are made of a special metal alloy called Bronzoil which is far supperior to aluminum, brass and polyurethane. Let me explain why

The Polyurethane bushings are great to prevent seizing and easy on maintenance, however they will never be as hard as solid metal bushings so you will always have some imprecision and play in your shifter.

Now the advantage that Bronzoil has over other metals is that it is as hard, however it is a self lubricating metal alloy that never needs maintenance. All you need to do is grease the bushing initially upon installation to open up the pores in the metal, and from there, no maintenance is required!

We've been selling our under hood bushings for over 5 years and we have never ever had reports of the bushings seizing or leading to hard shifts.

For our in-car bushings on the base of the shifter, we continue to use aluminum because it is a non-rotating part. You can check out the whole combo on our site at this link:

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/index.htm

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Hey escodotcarter,

You may want to check out our under hood cable bushings. They are made of a special metal alloy called Bronzoil which is far supperior to aluminum, brass and polyurethane. Let me explain why

The Polyurethane bushings are great to prevent seizing and easy on maintenance, however they will never be as hard as solid metal bushings so you will always have some imprecision and play in your shifter.

Now the advantage that Bronzoil has over other metals is that it is as hard, however it is a self lubricating metal alloy that never needs maintenance. All you need to do is grease the bushing initially upon installation to open up the pores in the metal, and from there, no maintenance is required!

We've been selling our under hood bushings for over 5 years and we have never ever had reports of the bushings seizing or leading to hard shifts.

For our in-car bushings on the base of the shifter, we continue to use aluminum because it is a non-rotating part. You can check out the whole combo on our site at this link:

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
I see you all don't even offer ones for the EVO VIII or IX??
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TWM Performance
Hey escodotcarter,

Thanks,

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
I didnt see anything listed for the 06 Evo IX. Everything was for the X. Maybe im blind.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:17 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
I didnt see anything listed for the 06 Evo IX. Everything was for the X. Maybe im blind.
Dam! I didn't realize that you had a IX...I scanned the thread quickly. Having said that, we have so many cable bushings for so many cars that I'm sure we have something here that would fit. If you would be interested in doing some mini development for us, and you wanted to check some measurements and dimensions of the stock ones, we could see if we would have anything for the Evo IX guys.

Sorry about the confusion.

Patrick
Team TWM Performance
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my Buschur Racing bushings. No problems, better shifting.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I've run them all (urethane, brass, aluminum) and the WORKS urethane are my favorites; they have no cons other than costing a bit more than the others. Firm and precise without the clunking. I had numerous issues with the aluminum ones seizing up. The brass or "bronzoil" ones are the ones to go with if you want solid metal since they're self-lubricating. I install the urethane ones with a thin coating of grease and the metal ones with copper anti-seize.

Quick Reply: Pros v. Cons.........Bushings