Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions testing

So in my county in IL we have to go to emissions testing every year, sadly. I currently have a 3" tbe with a test pipe... my question is, do you think I will pass emissions? I'm going to have it tuned before I go and will have the rear o2 turned off and all codes cleared and what not.

I do currently have the stock cat back system, but someone wants to buy the muffler. So I'm wondering if they will allow me to do the emissions test with out a muffler? Just the pipe right after the second resonator....
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
if they do a sniffer test youll never pass.

the obd2 plugin test is simple to pass with the proper patches on the ecu to disable the rear o2 and make it still look ready.

you will most likely need to buy a hi flow cat.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

If you do the anti-fouler fix which extends the rear o2 a bit, you will pass emissions. Just make sure you have no codes or anything for a while. I passed IL emissions with full turbo back w/ test pipe with this fix

Also do not go to a full service emissions testing facility, only go to the ones that can only scan.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm2308
Also do not go to a full service emissions testing facility, only go to the ones that can only scan.

No car can actually pass emissions w/o a cat if it is actually 'tested' unless it is exempt.

(or atleast not that I know of)
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Not true, I passed with no cat. Please don't post false information
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed. No matter what mods you put on the car as long as there's no SES light you'll pass. Unless they no the sniffer test, then car won't pass. At time of testing I had turboback/no cat, walbro 255, licp and no tune yet. Was very nervous, exhaust fumes smelt very bad. No SES light=Pass

Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
you should read what he is saying before you say its wrong.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:35 PM

I live in CT and I went to emissions with a 3 inch turbo back with no cat and the guy came out and said i passed and i was amazed. I have no idea how i passed without a cat.. maybe the guy liked my car or something, but nothing was hooked up to the exhaust they just plugged something in the obII port and revved it a couple times.. It amazed me that i passed with no cat on.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:40 PM

same here, if you don't have the SES light and they use OBDII to plug into your car, you will be fine
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't just clear the codes anymore (or anymore here). If they try to scan your car after clearing, it'll come back as saying "incomplete" which means it was neither pass nor fail. Just means it hasn't went through it's cycles yet. You have to let it go through it cycles first by driving the car for a few days and then see if the SES light comes back on. If it doesn't you pass. If it does, keep trying.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I said that I know of.. so thats an opinion.. and we are talking about an 'actual' sniffer test?????????????

NOT obd-II plugin

and in addition, your vehicle has a large cat STOCK for a reaon, there are many levels of emission testing and each state also has their own requirements aka 50state legal etc...... w/ no cats your car has basically ZERO emission controls (evap still counts)... mufflers are only there to lower db's.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Nov 12, 2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:54 PM

Do you think they will allow me to do the test if I don't have a muffler? Like if I just bolt up the stock cat and cat-back but the muffler would be cut off. I believe the one in town does the sniffer test btw
Old Nov 13, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you will not be able to test without the muffler. also you will get your car extremely dirty from running no muffler too. just go in there with the exhaust you already have because the catback is not going to change the result of the emissions testing
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

You will pass easily with no problems.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:10 AM

If you go to a shop that does not have a lift, or a sniffer, you can get away no problem. If they have a lift, they can do a visual test, and they will see a straight pipe where the cat is supposed to be. If they have a sniffer, well, then it may or may not pass, it is a gamble.

Quick Reply: Emissions testing