Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Front Wheel Drive? Help?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Wheel Drive? Help?

Ok so i bought a evo which was t boned into the 2 doors on the passenger side. The damage isnt to bad. Point is the drive shaft or differential was removed and idk why?
It was just the rear diff and it was all in the back seat of the car and with the bolts?
So when i came to pick up the car at the auction i put the car into 1st gear and slowly drive it like 5mph to the get to drive it up the trailer. Then i found out it wont make it up bc its just slipping. So my question is was it the clutch or something to do with the rear diff not being hooked up. So i take the tranny of and take a look at the clutch and it looks like it still had like 30-40% life left. The flywheel was pretty worn out and the pressure plate seemed fine . Also as i unloaded the car of the trailer to drive it into the garage, i put it into 1st again and was driving like 5mph and then just floor it and the rpms's go up to 7k and the car just stands there? So overall i was just wondering is it safe since that diff is out? And why is it out? And does it have anything to do with slipping?

I just dont see why it would be the clutch bc it looks like it still have a good amount of life left?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i searched but never got my answer, so thanks and let me know.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

someone might of jacked the driveshaft and rear diff... probably because they knew it was going to the auction... got any pics of the damage and what the underside looks like. might help us help you out..
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:01 AM

Oh but you see, i have the diff? And with all the bolts? They were in the back of the car? No one stole em. Yea ill get pics up sooner or later. Im gonna have a little refinishing thread. And transfer case is there and everything. I will get pics up soon to make the story easier to understand.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

My guess is someone pulled them so they can tow the car using a dolly with the rear wheels on the ground
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cs82685
My guess is someone pulled them so they can tow the car using a dolly with the rear wheels on the ground
That's the only thing that I could think of also.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:13 AM

Yea ive already thought of that one also. Then i was thinking since the clutch was slipping so bad if it was the clutch he may have converted to front wheel drive so it would have less stress. Its just my main question is, if you remove the drive shaft ( the diff) and its front wheel drive will the tranny have some type of setup for slipping? Bc if so im changing my clutch for nothing and i went through hell.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If the rear drive is removed all the rotating motion will go to the rear - path of least resistance. The viscous coupling should lock, allowing you to move some. However, if the car has been driven this way for a while, the viscous coupling could be toast too. Anyway, after the rear drive is connected, if nothing else is broken, the car should drive normally. The viscous coupling is important when trying to get unstuck in snow but otherwise has little effect.