Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

unsprung weight research(rotors ect)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
yes if they told you that you save 44lbs then you were mis informed by them is all.. I help you out so you can see why.. if these thin rear rotors for drag only save 17lbs in the rear there is no way a full size girodisc 2pc rotor is lighter unless its made of some magic materials which its not..

Mike
These Ams drag brakes were designed to be lite and use a smaller calipher to run smaller tires for slicks. And to last.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
What I have is from girodisc and I copied and pasted this on my post. I bet money this ultralite rotors that only come in a red hat are what curt brown is running and getting those crazy times. I know that these ultralite rotors don't last as long as the lite.
are you sure you calculator is working???

its 28.2lbs.. Where do you see 44lbs grasshopper???

For someone with such a formula for HP to weight you missed this by a long shot.. simple addition..

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:25 PM

free hp/reduce load is not necessary equal to adding hp.
interesting thread. subscribed.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
Former Sponsor

These Ams drag brakes were designed to be lite and use a smaller calipher to run smaller tires for slicks. And to last.
Your not paying attention pizzaman.. i didnt ask if they were better or worse than.. i said LOOK at these and explain how Giro can be lighter..
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

What I have is from girodisc and I copied and pasted this on my post. I bet money this ultralite rotors that only come in a red hat are what curt brown is running and getting those crazy times. I know that these ultralite rotors don't last as long as the lite.
Also ill take the bet paid Via paypal if you like cause its not the rotors..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Post #4 read it completely! Because the wilwood isn't cut as thin as the girodisc is cut down. The girodisc ultralite is only good for maybe 20 passes or so.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Post #4 read it completely! Because the wilwood isn't cut as thin as the girodisc is cut down. The girodisc ultralite is only good for maybe 20 passes or so.
Read the link you posted that you directed me to.. im sorry buddy but you wont find 16 more lbs in OEM sized rotors in addition to the ultralite unless you cut them in 1/2.. The information is incorrect.. do you see the pictures of the drag rears.. they are swiss cheese dont use oem calipers and they dont save 44lbs with the fronts.. they save 39.. Use common sense..

Look at how thin the giro disc ultra light are.. they cant be thinner.. they save 28.2 lbs as stated by girodisc in the thread..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

What r reading? Girodisc said thier lite rotors are 26 lbs lighter than stock. Then they said the ultralights are 18lbs lighter than the lites. That's 44lbs rotational wieght savings.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:41 PM
Former Sponsor

What r reading? Girodisc said thier lite rotors are 26 lbs lighter than stock. Then they said the ultralights are 18lbs lighter than the lites. That's 44lbs rotational wieght savings.
Bro get out your calculator your head is clouded.. your arguing and not doing anything with the calculator.. let me help you know it all grasshopper.. you cant save weight 2x you can only run 4 rotors at 1x..

Stock rotors ________ F - 21.3# ___ R - 14.6# x 2 of each = 71.8lbs STOCK
Normal Girodisc _____ F - 17.4# ____R - 11.1# x 2 of each = 57lbs Normal Giro
Ultralite Girodisc _____F - 12.9# ____R - 8.9# x 2 of each = 43.6lbs ULTRALIGHT

71.8 - 43.6 =28.2lbs

The normal save 14.8 the ultra save 13.4 more than normal which is what??? DING DING DING 28.2lbs

You cannot add 16lbs saving from another set of rotors to the same car.. you can only run 4 rotors grasshopper..

Mike

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Best way to see is a test! So far you are trying to prove me wrong and the math for the rotors to hp was right and proven by emery. Girodisc said thier were 44lbs lighter. You said thier not. Do you have a set of girodisc ultralights? Did you test them? Did you compare them to the Ams drag kit? Or are you speculating? I showed facts with proof you shown nothing but arguments! My info came from the manufacturer girodisc themselves. So you are saying emery test was wrong and girodisc is lieing and curt brown doesn't have those rotors? I saw his car on his website and it looks like them!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Best way to see is a test! So far you are trying to prove me wrong and the math for the rotors to hp was right and proven by emery. Girodisc said thier were 44lbs lighter. You said thier not. Do you have a set of girodisc ultralights? Did you test them? Did you compare them to the Ams drag kit? Or are you speculating? I showed facts with proof you shown nothing but arguments! My info came from the manufacturer girodisc themselves. So you are saying emery test was wrong and girodisc is lieing and curt brown doesn't have those rotors? I saw his car on his website and it looks like them!

Your lost bro.. Nevermind.. would you like to place a 500.00 wager Giro doesnt have a 44lbs rotor combo they sell or not?? END OF STORY.. put your money where your calculator and math skills are not..

Stick to 1 subject do you want to place a bet that Giro doesnt make a 44lb lighter rotor combo than stock??

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I went from a nearly new set of stock EVO8 rotors to the standard Giro Disc front and rear rotors. The standard front Giro's are 17.4 pounds and the standard rears are 11.1 pounds. Stock rotors are 21.35 and 14.6 pounds.

The new full sized race rotor weigh in at 13 pounds for the front and 9 pounds for the rear. Total rotor weight, 44 pounds. This is 27.90 pounds LIGHTER than the stock EVO8-9 rotors!
It is stated right there that the rotors all together weigh 44lbs themselves, that does not equal 44lbs lighter than stock.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
It is stated right there that the rotors all together weigh 44lbs themselves, that does not equal 44lbs lighter than stock.
Good lord.. I thought i was losing my marbles.. Am i the only person that can add here or what..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-purchase.html

Here is the link pizzagenius.. Someone who didnt speculate and WEIGHED THEM..

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Nov 16, 2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
Good lord.. I thought i was losing my marbles.. Am i the only person that can add here or what..
The math was already done in that thread, that's why I'm not sure where this other information is coming from.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
The math was already done in that thread, that's why I'm not sure where this other information is coming from.
And the math was done in the thread he posted but somehow he cant add.. all of it give o take a few ounces on different scales.. Not 16lbs..

Mike

Quick Reply: unsprung weight research(rotors ect)