Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

unsprung weight research(rotors ect)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unsprung weight research(rotors ect)

I have been researching lite wieght rotors and came up with this. Unsprung wieght, 1 pound of unsprung wieght equals 10 pounds of sprung wieght. Wieght savings equals more horsepower, every 6 pounds shed of sprung wieght equals 1 horsepower. Example girodisc has ultralite rotors, front and rear, 44lbs lighter than stock. So 44lbs of unsprung wieght equals 440lbs of sprung wieght. So 440lbs sprung wieght divided by 6 equals 73.3 horsepower. Cbrd titanium lugnuts,2lbs less unsprung wieght equals 20lbs sprung wieght, 3.33 hp. So in conclusion you guys that are like me looking for that extra power here is something to think about. So far for factory direct fit rotors girodisc is where its at.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i am the king of weight reduction and the girodisc rotors are not 44lbs lighter then stock. there 27.90 lbs lighter then stock.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pizzamanevo8
I have been researching lite wieght rotors and came up with this. Unsprung wieght, 1 pound of unsprung wieght equals 10 pounds of sprung wieght. Wieght savings equals more horsepower, every 6 pounds shed of sprung wieght equals 1 horsepower. Example girodisc has ultralite rotors, front and rear, 44lbs lighter than stock. So 44lbs of unsprung wieght equals 440lbs of sprung wieght. So 440lbs sprung wieght divided by 6 equals 73.3 horsepower. Cbrd titanium lugnuts,2lbs less unsprung wieght equals 20lbs sprung wieght, 3.33 hp. So in conclusion you guys that are like me looking for that extra power here is something to think about. So far for factory direct fit rotors girodisc is where its at.

and your math is way off. holy moly. haha. but i like your approach.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
i am the king of weight reduction and the girodisc rotors are not 44lbs lighter then stock. there 27.90 lbs lighter then stock.
girodisc has ultralite rotors you are wrong, you are thinking of lite rotors!This is from girodisc
Re: Rotors
We have 2 types of rotors for the EVO 8/9 We have our standard 2pc rotors which are about 26lbs lighter for the front and rear set over the stock rotors. We also have our Ultralite rotors which are an additional 18lbs lighter then our 2pc rotors so 44lbs of rotational mass removed. The Ultralites are strictly autocross, drag rotors and they are designed for people getting everything they can out of their rotors. They are already cut to min mill thickness but there is nothing lighter that utilizes the stock calipers with fully functional e-brake
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

girodisc has ultralite rotors you are wrong, you are thinking of lite rotors!This is from girodisc
Re: Rotors
We have 2 types of rotors for the EVO 8/9 We have our standard 2pc rotors which are about 26lbs lighter for the front and rear set over the stock rotors. We also have our Ultralite rotors which are an additional 18lbs lighter then our 2pc rotors so 44lbs of rotational mass removed. The Ultralites are strictly autocross, drag rotors and they are designed for people getting everything they can out of their rotors. They are already cut to min mill thickness but there is nothing lighter that utilizes the stock calipers with fully functional e-brake

its a total of 44lbs. not 44lbs lighter then stock. its 27 lbs lighter then stock.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-purchase.html
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...or-review.html

i am not wrong. i am god.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Dude can you read? 44lbs removed! Reread! This is strait from girodisc!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

no my son. its 44LBS total. 27lbs lighter then stock. i dont give a **** what they tell you. read them threads and look at the scales.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it doesnt work like that.. each Lb is not equal to 10lbs.. It depends on what unsprung weight you refer to.. for a simple example.. Which would respond better to the unsprung weight..

A. 30lb wheel and tire combo

20lb wheel 10lb tire??

10lb wheel 20lb tire??

B. 20lb wheels

20lbs wheel with 15lbs in center and 5 on barrel..

20lb wheel with 5lb center and 15lbs Barrel...

for letter A its the 20lb wheel and 10lb tire assuming wheels are the same

for letter B its the wheel with the 15lb center

The weight lost greatest to the outside of rotational object gives the best gains.. its not an exact science.. a set of lug nuts will do NOTHING noticeable at 2lbs per wheel loss.. a set of tires that that lose 2lbs outside on 4 corners will give much better gains..

hope this helps.. oh and Evodan2004.. Im the king of weightloss.. JFWY..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Dan is right.. 44lbs on all 4 corners saved doesnt happen even with the drag brake setup from AMS.. its 39lbs on rotors if i recall..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

So you are saying that girodisc gave me the wrong wieght?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

So you are saying that girodisc gave me the wrong wieght?
yes if they told you that you save 44lbs then you were mis informed by them is all.. I help you out so you can see why.. if these thin rear rotors for drag only save 17lbs in the rear there is no way a full size girodisc 2pc rotor is lighter unless its made of some magic materials which its not..

Mike
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Remember the test emery did with rotors? 12whp gain. 9.3lbs unsprung weight savings. Times that to the what I said 1lbs unsprung wieght equals 10lbs sprung that's 93lbs divide that by 6 lbs to 1hp and you get 15.1 hp. Emery made 12hp to the wheels. Seems like my research is right and the math works out right on the money.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

What I have is from girodisc and I copied and pasted this on my post. I bet money this ultralite rotors that only come in a red hat are what curt brown is running and getting those crazy times. I know that these ultralite rotors don't last as long as the lite.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Remember the test emery did with rotors? 12whp gain. 9.3lbs unsprung weight savings. Times that to the what I said 1lbs unsprung wieght equals 10lbs sprung that's 93lbs divide that by 6 lbs to 1hp and you get 15.1 hp. Emery made 12hp to the wheels. Seems like my research is right and the math works out right on the money.
i just told you its not linear.. 1 example is not equal always.. 40 lbs saved on rotors is not the same as 40lbs saved on tires.. so your equation is not right in all cases..

I have saved 40lbs on wheels which did not yield 4 tenths quicker car which is an equation of every 100lbs is 1/10th as a fact.. so it didnt work out.. and wasnt on the money..

Mike

Quick Reply: unsprung weight research(rotors ect)