Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

WRX to EVO... what to look for

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2010, 02:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM EVO PANAMA
My Evo snapped axles I purchased it that way. I never broken the transfer though but just heard of so many people that have.
C'mon. A couple of months ago you bought an obviously abused, modded to eternity 15 year old Evo with broken axles, you heard something about broken transfer cases, so this must mean that Evolutions have issues with axles and transfer cases. Even you, yourself, posted that you know virtually nothing about this platform.

One thing is if one or two people have snapped axle but its pretty common also 3rd gear going out is common too.
I've heard the Moon is made out of Green Cheeze, but you don't see me asserting it a fact on an internationally seen discussion forum.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 26, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my friend are in a similar situation.

I plan on getting an Evo VIII/IX soon and he wants and 04/05 STi. I keep telling him that if he plans on getting 350 whp + he's gonna needa build the STi's block, while the Evo can hold that power easy on the stock block. Sure the Evo's have problems with the tranny's but i've seen people on here with well over 100K+ miles and they are still on the stock tranny. I'd rather spend 3K for a built tranny on an Evo than many more thousands on building my STi's block...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerm__
Me and my friend are in a similar situation.

I plan on getting an Evo VIII/IX soon and he wants and 04/05 STi. I keep telling him that if he plans on getting 350 whp + he's gonna needa build the STi's block, while the Evo can hold that power easy on the stock block. Sure the Evo's have problems with the tranny's but i've seen people on here with well over 100K+ miles and they are still on the stock tranny. I'd rather spend 3K for a built tranny on an Evo than many more thousands on building my STi's block...
Yeah I wish they offered Shep transmissions for the subaru. There are some good options for upgraded transmissions for the subaru but they are way too expensive.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STi' have good trannies though, its their block's internals that are sub-par
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jerm__
STi' have good trannies though, its their block's internals that are sub-par

That's what I thought as well.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 11:47 AM

The STI 6 speed is a great transmission but expensive to swap into the WRX. I just wish Subaru and Mitsubishi would offer a fully built edition of the STI and EVO somewhat like the Ford did with the 03-04 Cobra.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

STi and EVO are as built as you going to get, this car are built with intetion of auto x and rally, they are NOT meant to drag race even though a lot people do so. For a stock block evo to handle 500-600 whp i think its pretty well built car, especially for a 4 cyl car. Beefey shocks and springs ( compare the shocks of an evo to another 4 cyl or even a V8 and tell me if you can tell the difference), veeeeery precise/responding steering, nice comfy bucket seats, brembos all way aound, nice aerodynamic package, aluminum body parts to keep it light and on top of that a bad *** engine that will take abuse nonstop and still run strong...IMO THATS FULLY BUILT.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by erald01
STi and EVO are as built as you going to get, this car are built with intetion of auto x and rally, they are NOT meant to drag race even though a lot people do so. For a stock block evo to handle 500-600 whp i think its pretty well built car, especially for a 4 cyl car. Beefey shocks and springs ( compare the shocks of an evo to another 4 cyl or even a V8 and tell me if you can tell the difference), veeeeery precise/responding steering, nice comfy bucket seats, brembos all way aound, nice aerodynamic package, aluminum body parts to keep it light and on top of that a bad *** engine that will take abuse nonstop and still run strong...IMO THATS FULLY BUILT.
Good point. Maybe I'm just disgruntled about my WRX
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OP: what do you mean fully built? drag racing or road racing?

the first thing to buying any used cars is of course whether or not its been taken care of. IMO the parts list is always a good indication of this (shows that the owner has taken the time to research about the car and show genuine care for it), along with receipts for servicing (for things you can't see like all fluids etc.)

with that said, Evos can hit 400whp+ (MD or dynojet) comfortably on 93 pump gas without much loss of drive-ability with stock frame turbos (stock location in Subaru speak) such as CBRD BBK, HKS 7460, FPRed etc. + basic bolt ons. i think the power limit that the stock block can take should actually be expressed in "wtq" rather than "whp", as the stock rods are really only good up to ~425wtq. watch out for any examples that have big turbos+stock blocks (PTE 6262s, FPBlacks etc.) or any turbo upgrade with good fuel (E85, meth etc). for example, you can have 500whp/400wtq and still be on the safer side. as with all turbo cars, the tune could make or break the motor.

personally, i'd search for a IX GSR or SE if the money allows. good clean examples can be had for ~$20k all day nowadays.

i also had a WRX, it was protuned stage 2 and while it was a decently fun DD, its got nothing on even on a stock Evo. one of my best friends has a 400whp 20G/full bolt-on/meth '07 STI on AST-spec'ed KWs/Whiteline bars and its still a little ways off the Evo in terms of pure driving pleasure. come to the darkside, you won't regret it
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:33 AM
Evolving Member

P.S I' have never seen anybody break transfer cases in '04+ Evos ('03s and early '04s had open front diffs) since joined EvoM. i think its just hearsay that STI owners pass around to make themselves feel better
Old Dec 2, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I have both a WRX and an Evo in the garage. For a change of pace it is sometimes fun to take the WRX out. It has a nice cushy ride and and the controls are well harmonized. However, for any trip over 50 miles the driver's seat kills my back.

Generally, though, when the spouse and I leave the house, if I am driving it is the Evo, if she is driving she chooses the WRX. Need I say more.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

for any trip over 50 miles the driver's seat kills my back.
i totally agree. there are a couple of things that i don't like about Imprezas in general. one is that the firewall is really shallow (no good for taller guys like myself), and second the seats are extremely uncomfortable (02-03 WRX had the best seats IMO) and lacking in support all around. the only Subaru seat i ever liked sitting in was the RA-R Recaro bucket

about the only thing i like about STi over EVO is the STi shifter with the optional STI specific short shifter, thats about it. oh that and the gauges. Evo gauges are worse than eye-charts

on hindsight, i should have just given my bugeye to my GF, i miss it

/rant
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by fightex
OP: what do you mean fully built? drag racing or road racing?

the first thing to buying any used cars is of course whether or not its been taken care of. IMO the parts list is always a good indication of this (shows that the owner has taken the time to research about the car and show genuine care for it), along with receipts for servicing (for things you can't see like all fluids etc.)

with that said, Evos can hit 400whp+ (MD or dynojet) comfortably on 93 pump gas without much loss of drive-ability with stock frame turbos (stock location in Subaru speak) such as CBRD BBK, HKS 7460, FPRed etc. + basic bolt ons. i think the power limit that the stock block can take should actually be expressed in "wtq" rather than "whp", as the stock rods are really only good up to ~425wtq. watch out for any examples that have big turbos+stock blocks (PTE 6262s, FPBlacks etc.) or any turbo upgrade with good fuel (E85, meth etc). for example, you can have 500whp/400wtq and still be on the safer side. as with all turbo cars, the tune could make or break the motor.

personally, i'd search for a IX GSR or SE if the money allows. good clean examples can be had for ~$20k all day nowadays.

i also had a WRX, it was protuned stage 2 and while it was a decently fun DD, its got nothing on even on a stock Evo. one of my best friends has a 400whp 20G/full bolt-on/meth '07 STI on AST-spec'ed KWs/Whiteline bars and its still a little ways off the Evo in terms of pure driving pleasure. come to the darkside, you won't regret it
What I meant by built is finding something with a built motor (internals). My biggest fear with the WRX is putting on a bigger turbo then the motor goes boom along with the trans.

I would love to join the "darkside" but selling my car for a decent price seems near impossible. Looks like I might just be going with a 20G XT for the WRX and we'll go from there. It won't be as quick as an EVO but it should be a big step up from my current setup.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by fightex
i totally agree. there are a couple of things that i don't like about Imprezas in general. one is that the firewall is really shallow (no good for taller guys like myself), and second the seats are extremely uncomfortable (02-03 WRX had the best seats IMO) and lacking in support all around. the only Subaru seat i ever liked sitting in was the RA-R Recaro bucket

about the only thing i like about STi over EVO is the STi shifter with the optional STI specific short shifter, thats about it. oh that and the gauges. Evo gauges are worse than eye-charts

These seats are amazing if you have an extra $1200 in your pocket per seat

If you can find them for under 500 let me know.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Have you tried advertising it in different areas? Living in a military city is AWESOME for selling cars....well the right kind of cars. There are WRX's and Evo's everywhere here so selling them isn't too hard.

I actually drove to VA to pick up my blue Evo since the pricing was so much cheaper than anything remotely close to here.

How far are you from Jacksonville, NC?? If you want to shoot me a PM I can see about helping you get it sold.