Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hopefully switching To Evo 9 From M3.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sean105
I have driven a few of my friends Evo 9s... I know what im in for ride quality! And the reason for change is to have awd but still have a fun DD. Stock for Stock M3 is still quicker... I ran my car once and did a 13.1 Evo i believe is 13.7? But I know the evo is so easy to mod and make faster! Cant wait for a new project! I will definitely miss my M3 though...
Most Evos can do low 13s, though there have been a few people who have broken into the 12s with a completely stock car (though there aren't many).
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have driven e46 M3's and evo's, the evo is a much more enjoyable car to drive, and even next to my friends m3 with comp package the evo always gets more compliments and questions about the car.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
since a evo runs semi aggressive timing stock, and rich AFR.. throw a boost controller on it ($100) and 100octane fuel and a boost gauge and set to 28-30psi and it will run almost 11's probably. if not, drop the downpipe and it will lol.

dont do this, but im just using it as an example.. they can be made pretty damn quick for nothing.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
since a evo runs semi aggressive timing stock, and rich AFR.. throw a boost controller on it ($100) and 100octane fuel and a boost gauge and set to 28-30psi and it will run almost 11's probably. if not, drop the downpipe and it will lol.

dont do this, but im just using it as an example.. they can be made pretty damn quick for nothing.

Another reason I want one! There does seem to be some major M3 haters on this forum... have some respect people! at least on m3forum everyone respects different makes etc...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:38 PM

Another reason I want one! There does seem to be some major M3 haters on this forum... have some respect people! at least on m3forum everyone respects different makes etc...
Agree! They are both fantastic cars just in different ways
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Probably the most important thing to look for in an used evo is what kind of mods have been done to the car. Avoid cars that look poorly modded (parts that scream RICEEE) or beat on. Even if all the parts are stock, it is probably because the previous owner took out the mods and put the stock parts back in. In which case look for signs of work done such as bent radiator fins, scruffed screws and bolts, ect...
Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have driven a few of my friends Evo 9s... I know what im in for ride quality! And the reason for change is to have awd but still have a fun DD. Stock for Stock M3 is still quicker... I ran my car once and did a 13.1 Evo i believe is 13.7? But I know the evo is so easy to mod and make faster! Cant wait for a new project! I will definitely miss my M3 though...
your friends couldn't drive. EVO 8's should do 13.0-13.5 depending on the year. EVO IX's are high 12's all day with a good driver. I did 12.8 in mine stock, and could have done better if my clutch hadn't started slipping. EVO's are also easily faster around a race track/autocross course as well. the one M3 I raced from a dig wasn't even close lol
Old Dec 8, 2010, 09:27 PM

There is zero Decent evo 9s in the NW area for sale..
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
your friends couldn't drive. EVO 8's should do 13.0-13.5 depending on the year. EVO IX's are high 12's all day with a good driver. I did 12.8 in mine stock, and could have done better if my clutch hadn't started slipping. EVO's are also easily faster around a race track/autocross course as well. the one M3 I raced from a dig wasn't even close lol
IIRC you were not 100% bone stock correct? Didn't you have an exhaust or base flash of some sort.

There are only a handful of IX that have reached 12's. Most rarely ever do. Most E46 have higher trap speeds but Evo's seem to on average have better ET's. Once the mods come though it's not even a race.

Personally I wouldn't buy an evo from the NW...seeing as 99% of them drive in bad weather in the snow. Thats why I went to Cali then drove mine home and it sits in the garage 80% of the time and laughs at the thought of bad weather.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:20 PM

previous owner of my car was doing the opposite and bought a M3
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:26 PM

Someone trade me For an evo 9!
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:56 PM

Poisoned
Old Dec 9, 2010, 02:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
IIRC you were not 100% bone stock correct? Didn't you have an exhaust or base flash of some sort.

There are only a handful of IX that have reached 12's. Most rarely ever do. Most E46 have higher trap speeds but Evo's seem to on average have better ET's. Once the mods come though it's not even a race.

Personally I wouldn't buy an evo from the NW...seeing as 99% of them drive in bad weather in the snow. Thats why I went to Cali then drove mine home and it sits in the garage 80% of the time and laughs at the thought of bad weather.
nope, no flash. I just recently got tuned for the first time. the first time I hit 12's I had just a catback, but I doubt that did anything spectacular for me. after a ticket for modified exhaust I swapped the stocker back on to get the ticket thrown out and went to the track while it was on. I ran almost the exact same time. 12.86 instead of the 12.82 with the catback, and again with a 1.86 60'.

I think it's just that only a handful of IX's with good drivers stay stock long enough to find out what they do stock. The car is capable, most of the time slow times are driver error. Also, if you haven't seen it, BMI tested a bone stock EVO IX MR and ran a 12.6 with it.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
nope, no flash. I just recently got tuned for the first time. the first time I hit 12's I had just a catback, but I doubt that did anything spectacular for me. after a ticket for modified exhaust I swapped the stocker back on to get the ticket thrown out and went to the track while it was on. I ran almost the exact same time. 12.86 instead of the 12.82 with the catback, and again with a 1.86 60'.

I think it's just that only a handful of IX's with good drivers stay stock long enough to find out what they do stock. The car is capable, most of the time slow times are driver error. Also, if you haven't seen it, BMI tested a bone stock EVO IX MR and ran a 12.6 with it.
That was the JDM Evo IX MR RS though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7DnQUzjb50
Old Dec 9, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tell people here at work who ask about the car to not buy one unless you plan to mod it. It's draw is all in the potential for me.

I break it down to the Spinal tap way of thinking when people don't understand my choice.

It may be set on "4" stock, but ours goes to "11". Yours may be "6" stock, but it only goes to "8". All most people see is "6" > "4" but they are mistaken.