Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hopefully switching To Evo 9 From M3.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sean105
Please go post in someone else's thread. I am not here to argue..
That's what I thought. Next time you go to post, like you did in post #58. Tell the truth.

Last edited by bigturboevo80; Dec 15, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:16 PM

Good luck with your search. I'll be looking to add an Evo as my second car in the next year. Then i'll be able to have the best of both worlds M3 & Evo
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:36 PM

Personaly I would keep the M3 but once again thats just an opinion. I'm looking to sell my Evo now to purchase a E92. The Evo is awesome and all but alittle luxury would be nice. Plus many people dont take me seriously driving in an Evo I guess its considered a young people car but I'm not sure how teens could afford them!!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigturboevo80
The e46 m3 is a joke. My evo 9, when it only had a intake, and tune destroyed e46 m3's. Street, highway whatever. Ive also read that they have rattling interior issues and other issues when they have some miles on them. My evo 9 has none and mind you, its fully built.

Evos rattle and vibrate throughout the interior. These cars were not designed for luxury so they are going to be inherently noisy, especially when the evo was designed for sport/performance in mind. For us evo owners its tolerable or we wouldnt be owning them.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by samo6556
Good luck with your search. I'll be looking to add an Evo as my second car in the next year. Then i'll be able to have the best of both worlds M3 & Evo
Im jealous! I wish I could do the same! I just drove the new e92 M3 yesterday and its amazing. A little better in every part. Although it doesnt have the raw feel of the E46....
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Evos rattle and vibrate throughout the interior. These cars were not designed for luxury so they are going to be inherently noisy, especially when the evo was designed for sport/performance in mind. For us evo owners its tolerable or we wouldnt be owning them.

My interior does not rattle, I'm guessing yours does. I have a slight vibration because my car is fully modded. But nothing like a evo, with a full turboback exhaust, when my cut out is closed.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Every Evo I've owned rattled (my 9 rattled with less than 6k miles on it), my brothers Evo rattled and I would justifiably say that pretty much all my friends' Evos rattle too.

And while I will agree that I would prefer an Evo over any M3 it far from makes the M3 a joke or any other insults you have for it. It's a great car that is far more well rounded than ANY Evo. It doesn't respond to mods well, no. But it does do most of the things a stock Evo will do while riding much softer and more luxurious. Has more notoriety and is generally accepted by the populace as a better car (more people are likely to say "what the hell is an Evo").

M3's are still not my cup of tea and couldn't deal with the cost of fixing anything if it broke. Still a great car IMO.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My interior does not rattle, I'm guessing yours does. I have a slight vibration because my car is fully modded. But nothing like a evo, with a full turboback exhaust, when my cut out is closed.
just vibrations and drone from my 100 cell cat. When I say the interior rattles and vibrates Im not really being fair as I am also comparing it to the benzs and bimmers I work on. When I step out of an S-class benz and get in my evo, boy is it loud and much less refined, but lots of fun..
I would honestly rather own an evo than an m3 imo, but if I had to take a road trip from here to LA, I would much rather do it in an M3.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

, You were insulting, by trying to justify your 100,000 mile, 2005 e46 m3 with 3k in replica mods. With no factory navigation, replica bmw wheels, and who knows whatever other options, didn't come with it from the factory. Equal to my fully built 50,000 mile, 2006 evo 9. Which has easily 20k plus into it. Is newer than your m3, has half the miles, and worth more stock compared to your m3.
What do you mean by "fully built"? Just curious, because I have easily double that into my VIII and I don't consider it even close to "fully" built.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:46 PM

Thank you guys for your biased opinions, and not being single sided. I just drove an evo 9 se and cant wait to own one!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The IX SE is literally your best bet out of the various models.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sean105
Im jealous! I wish I could do the same! I just drove the new e92 M3 yesterday and its amazing. A little better in every part. Although it doesnt have the raw feel of the E46....
The E92 M3 has really grown on me. Driven a couple of them and once on the track. Love the sound of the V8 with a good exhaust. However the Evo IX is a great car and would be just as happy to have either car.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:26 PM

Yeah its a toss up between the MR and The SE for me. I dont drive cars hard so im not worried about the trans on an MR. And yes the E92 M3 would be A great choice, but no awd. I do see one of those in my garage someday though....
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

The e46 m3 is a joke. My evo 9, when it only had a intake, and tune destroyed e46 m3's. Street, highway whatever. Ive also read that they have rattling interior issues and other issues when they have some miles on them. My evo 9 has none and mind you, its fully built.
" Ive also read that they have rattling interior issues and other issues when they have some miles on them."

Funny cause I had over 100k and my car was ****. Bought at 20k miles. Ride was nicer than my evo with 60k.

My M3 had no rattle. My evo doesn't have rattle but does randomly make some rattle noises then go away for a long time. My car his haunted .

"The e46 m3 is a joke. My evo 9, when it only had a intake, and tune destroyed e46 m3's. Street, highway whatever."

Wow, biased a little are we? You can make an M hit serious power. Your statement is apples to oranges. Your car is not stock AND we were talking about Auto X. If you think the M3 is a joke in Auto X you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I guess BMW is stupid for building M racing cars

Also you cannot make some "claim" that evo's do not rattle. I've sat in many. I used to be an automotive tech and I worked in auto body for 5 years as well. I can't count how many Evo's that have had rattling issues.

The bottom line is, they are both great cars. You have never owned both. I have.

Anyways, good luck bro, hopefully you'll find one in a timely manner!

Last edited by Graphic; Dec 16, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Mr Sean

I am an older EVO owner (+40=). I bought the RS model 3 yrs ago bone stock w/ approx 80lbs of less stuff (No ABS/Crank windows/No sound deadening / Alum roof / No Radio / No pwr windows
Although the engine is completely stock, the exterior power mods have put it slightly north of 400WHP / 400 TQ
It rattles / smells / vibrates & pulls very hard & makes me feel like 25 when I drive it
My recommendation: Do it & Mod it!!!!