Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hopefully switching To Evo 9 From M3.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Graphic
Also you cannot make some "claim" that evo's do not rattle. I've sat in many. I used to be an automotive tech and I worked in auto body for 5 years as well. I can't count how many Evo's that have had rattling issues.
I can claim that my Evo has no rattles, because, well, it doesn't. The car is as tight as a drum. I drove it off the lot with ~5 miles on its clock and unlike many other Evo owners never frucked it up. The car rides on the factory Bilstein setup - not over stiff - it has no aftermarket motor mounts shaking the chassis, here's no exhaust cutout whose low frequency emissions literally tear the car apart and on and on. There are no missing bolts, no forgotten brackets, no mods for the sake of mods. As such, the car is very close to its factory configuration and it does not rattle. My RS didn't rattle, either, but then again, that car wasn't frucked-up by a clueless owner.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
I can claim that my Evo has no rattles, because, well, it doesn't. The car is as tight as a drum. I drove it off the lot with ~5 miles on its clock and unlike many other Evo owners never frucked it up. The car rides on the factory Bilstein setup - not over stiff - it has no aftermarket motor mounts shaking the chassis, here's no exhaust cutout whose low frequency emissions literally tear the car apart and on and on. There are no missing bolts, no forgotten brackets, no mods for the sake of mods. As such, the car is very close to its factory configuration and it does not rattle. My RS didn't rattle, either, but then again, that car wasn't frucked-up by a clueless owner.
You're missing my point and definitely missing what I was responding to. My evo does not rattle and I am on track coilovers. BUT....... My buddy has a 06 IX and his rattles. He treats his car very very well. Everything in his car is stock except for the engine. This is all anyways. I was just stating that there are evos out there that do rattle. I am not trying to knock or get into a debate about this because someone who posted earlier has nothing but stupid comments and opinions to post on here. This is about the OP trying to get an Evo not about someone bashing the car he is looking to trade\sell.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF

I can see your subtle accusations that many Evo owners mess up their cars, but some how your modification path makes you immune to the rattles that so many Evos are plagued with. Also as contrived as that entire statement was it doesn't really prove much of anything.

My Evo was a 9 MR on the factory Bilsteins and the only thing I had done that made it any different other than stock was the Buschur TBE which had the quiet Magnaflow on it. My car had 6k miles after 2 years of ownership so it was not driven very often. And I still had rattles.

Another example my brother's completely bone stock 9 MR. This car was sold after 3 years of ownership, also purchased brand new and only had 8k miles on it. I think it was raced once EVER!! Otherwise it spent a lot of it's life being cleaned and kept under a car cover and driven occasionally on nice days. It was babied to the extreme and looked like a brand new car when it was sold 3 years later (hence why he got $30k for it). It was never beaten on and had no aftermarket parts. And still it rattled!!

So since you have the magic formula to keeping cars from rattling I'd be interested in knowing what it is. Because in my experience short of never driving the car at all it's pretty hard to keep Evos from not rattling. Every single one I've been in does.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but has the OP looked at the Evo X yet? Better handling than the CT9A Evo and a litte bit more upscale. Not my thing, but it's definitely worth a look!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:50 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
I can see your subtle accusations that many Evo owners mess up their cars, but some how your modification path makes you immune to the rattles that so many Evos are plagued with.
What modifications?

My Evo was a 9 MR on the factory Bilsteins and the only thing I had done that made it any different other than stock was the Buschur TBE which had the quiet Magnaflow on it. My car had 6k miles after 2 years of ownership so it was not driven very often. And I still had rattles.
Truth be told, my car developed a couple of rattles over time. They took minutes to fix and voila, no more rattles.

Another example my brother's completely bone stock 9 MR. This car was sold after 3 years of ownership, also purchased brand new and only had 8k miles on it. I think it was raced once EVER!! Otherwise it spent a lot of it's life being cleaned and kept under a car cover and driven occasionally on nice days. It was babied to the extreme and looked like a brand new car when it was sold 3 years later (hence why he got $30k for it). It was never beaten on and had no aftermarket parts. And still it rattled!!
Please see above. For example, when my glovebox door developed a rattle, it was fixed right away. Every car loosens up a bit over time. Might not be a bad a idea to tighten a couple of screws once in a while, or do you expect that car to do it for you?

So since you have the magic formula to keeping cars from rattling I'd be interested in knowing what it is.
I just told you.

Because in my experience short of never driving the car at all it's pretty hard to keep Evos from not rattling.
I drove a VIII with ~120,000 miles on it last year. It was owned by an adult, never modded, and maintained religiously. Guess what? The car didn't rattle. I have no idea what happened to your car or to your brother's, how they were used and maintained, as I wasn't there to witness any of it for myself. I can only say that the 2 Evos I owned did not rattle, nor did the high-mileage 03 that I drove. Seems like all three cars had something in common. Of course, I've driven plenty of Evos that did rattle. They had something in common, too.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
^ I've got an Evo IX SE (as I've mentioned before) that I bought brand new. About four years and just shy of 37,000 miles later, still no rattles here.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:04 PM

Enough about rattles, any car can develop them. I have tried an Evo X and not really a fan of them. I would like to stick to the 9 for sure!