Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2006 Evo IX Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Evo IX Car won't start

My 06 Evo IX wont start. i started the car in my driveway n let it warmed up (car was on and running for a good 2-3mins). I backed out, put in 1st gear gave it some gas and then it stalled on me. Try to start it again and it wouldn't start. I checked the battery (bought new),spark plugs(bought new), fuel pump(smell fuel and swapped both from walbro to stock and NOTHING), COP system(swapped back to stock and still nothing),fuses (all look good). Im checking the immobilizer setting next on Ecuflash in the morning.

If it don't start after this i don't where to look next. It seems there is a curse on all 2006 Evo IX.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alexso15
My 06 Evo IX wont start. i started the car in my driveway n let it warmed up (car was on and running for a good 2-3mins). I backed out, put in 1st gear gave it some gas and then it stalled on me. Try to start it again and it wouldn't start. I checked the battery (bought new),spark plugs(bought new), fuel pump(smell fuel and swapped both from walbro to stock and NOTHING), COP system(swapped back to stock and still nothing),fuses (all look good). Im checking the immobilizer setting next on Ecuflash in the morning.

If it don't start after this i don't where to look next. It seems there is a curse on all 2006 Evo IX.
Might be the starter. Evo ix has bad starter too at time.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 01:45 AM
Evolved Member

Does it crank?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:37 AM

What happens when you turn the key to start? any sounds?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Main fuse blown?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:16 AM

the car does crank but it wont start
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Main fuse blown?
all electrical stuff works. just doesnt start. it will crank n turn over but thats it
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check all fuses and connections
Old Dec 8, 2010, 12:57 PM

I just check all fuses and connection everything looks good. I just now tried to read my ecu from ecuflash and it locks me out saying"no code read unknown, check log files"
Old Dec 8, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then it isn't the starter or the battery.

Are you getting spark and fuel? It only takes two things to start (along with the ECU). I think it's fuse 1 under the dash that can stop you from starting your car also but if you checked that and the ones under the hood you should be fine. Easy to tell if you're getting spark and fuel really -

pull the feed line from the fuel rail, put it into a cup or can, crank once, see if gas sprays out into said container

For spark -

pull one of the coils, use the screwdriver trick i.e. put a screwdriver down in the spark plug tube hole and look for arcing or use a cheap spark tester, they're only like $10 at autozone

If you have both it's the ECU, if you don't have both well...then we can try to address that. At this point you could have flooded it also.

Have you pulled the plugs and shined a light down the cylinders to see if there's gas in them?
Can you turn it to ON and see if EvoScan can connect?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Then it isn't the starter or the battery.

Are you getting spark and fuel? It only takes two things to start (along with the ECU). I think it's fuse 1 under the dash that can stop you from starting your car also but if you checked that and the ones under the hood you should be fine. Easy to tell if you're getting spark and fuel really -

pull the feed line from the fuel rail, put it into a cup or can, crank once, see if gas sprays out into said container

For spark -

pull one of the coils, use the screwdriver trick i.e. put a screwdriver down in the spark plug tube hole and look for arcing or use a cheap spark tester, they're only like $10 at autozone

If you have both it's the ECU, if you don't have both well...then we can try to address that. At this point you could have flooded it also.

Have you pulled the plugs and shined a light down the cylinders to see if there's gas in them?
Can you turn it to ON and see if EvoScan can connect?

well i checked, i do have fuel but still no spark. the fuses all look good.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:10 AM

I need help guys!!!!!!!!! My evo still wont start. I checked all fuses, checked fuel pump, i guess im going to check the CAS
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it cranking? Do you hear the fuel pump kick on? if you have an aftermarket?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Check the immobilzer and ensure all is good, also while you are that verify if the crank sensor is functioning.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_MR
Check the immobilzer and ensure all is good, also while you are that verify if the crank sensor is functioning.
i temp disable the immobilizer and where and what should i check for on the crank sensor?

Quick Reply: 2006 Evo IX Car won't start