Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Exedy Twin blown up plates ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exedy Twin blown up plates ?

Hey everyone!

I recently recommended and installed an Exedy Twin to a car. Evo 8, bolt-ons, pumpgas, 24 psi - so no overkill on power there. I personally did the break in of the clutch (~500ish miles of baby driving, tons of shifting) and after that the owner of the car continued for another 500 at least.

Fast forward ~8000 miles:

Symptoms:
car won't go to gear when turned on
soft pedal
clutch still engages when in gear by using pedal and is drivable (somewhat) and not slipping

Mechanic opens it and gives me a ring:

Plates measured: 0,1 - 0,2mm of plates used
Springs and center metal part of the plate completely F*ed up on the bottom plate and showing sever damage on the top one also on the springs.

What can be the cause of this ? The owner of the cars quote "I didn't launch it more than 10 times" and otherwise normal high speed beating.

The clutch was installed professionally, broken in properly and also installed with a new throw out bearing.

The main question is: What can cause damage like this? How? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks!

Edit: Pics of the damaged plate

Last edited by Toxin; Dec 18, 2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Drag racers? Anyone blew up an exedy yet?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
"I didn't launch it more than 10 times" !
thats priceless. it only takes a few newbie-ish launches to destroy components! driver variable is too big to blame the clutch, and what of faulty installation?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
look at the intermed plates and the flywheel...if they are purple and it looks like something was dragged across it your buddy was riding the clutch and slipping the hell out of it super heating it.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i bought a used twin with "less than 5,000 miles" yeah, its shot. the cover has less purple than the rest of the clutch.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Added pics to the first post...

Originally Posted by Murf
look at the intermed plates and the flywheel...if they are purple and it looks like something was dragged across it your buddy was riding the clutch and slipping the hell out of it super heating it.
Not purple. Looks like it was never slipped, might have been dumped tho ...

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
i bought a used twin with "less than 5,000 miles" yeah, its shot. the cover has less purple than the rest of the clutch.
This was brand new when put it and the clutch was not burned at all...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could just be defective. My friend had a hyper single on his camaro and the pressure plate randomly busted the fingers and it wouldnt disengage.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yea we already sent the pics to Exedy... I hope this does get warrantied as I've seen so many twins ABUSED at much higer power levels and they held up just fine... This one wasn't even abused...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:33 PM

GL with that..
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:30 PM
SUSPECTED SCAMMER

highly doubt there gunna cover that... its a clutch come on... wear and tear, just like the stealership says!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

BUmp for experience anyone'
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

This just happen 2 me yesterday. i havent opened it up yet but my car has the same symptoms.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

this usually happens when the transmission is inserted or removed partially, engaging the input shaft into the clutch discs, but not the dowel pins or any of the bolts & the transmissions weight is not supported. this puts a lot of side loading on the clutch plates as they are supporting the weight of the entire transmission.

this is more common on dual plate clutches as sometimes the plates dont align perfectly even with the tool, so you get the trans in halfway past the first disc & it gets stuck trying to engage the 2nd disc that is out of alignment, if your not using a proper trans lift your arms get tired fast & people typically let it hang for a second to rest thier arms, this is where the damage is done.

a typical sign of this is unequal wear on the clutch plates as the disc will typically bend & it will wear half of the plate on one side & do the same 180 degrees on the opposite side & it is usually the transmission side disc

Last edited by CharlieGsanD; Jan 9, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieGsanD
this usually happens when the transmission is inserted or removed partially, engaging the input shaft into the clutch discs, but not the dowel pins or any of the bolts & the transmissions weight is not supported. this puts a lot of side loading on the clutch plates as they are supporting the weight of the entire transmission.

this is more common on dual plate clutches as sometimes the plates dont align perfectly even with the tool, so you get the trans in halfway past the first disc & it gets stuck trying to engage the 2nd disc that is out of alignment, if your not using a proper trans lift your arms get tired fast & people typically let it hang for a second to rest thier arms, this is where the damage is done.

a typical sign of this is unequal wear on the clutch plates as the disc will typically bend & it will wear half of the plate on one side & do the same 180 degrees on the opposite side & it is usually the transmission side disc
+1 i had the same experience. end result was mechanic didnt have proper tools and plate bent. I didnt blame him but def. a learning experience
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

You'd be surprised how understanding Exedy can be. I blew a hyper single back in the day, then a twin sd, and talked with them. They gave me a killer deal on a triplecerametallic. Something like $1400 shipped. You should definately call them and talk to them. A very reputable company with great customer service.