Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Royal Purple= Loud engine??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Well I apologize to everyone if I came off as a "know it all", I am far from it. What I can tell you is I am very knowledgable about oil through countless hours of research and R&D on my own. Through the past 7 yrs and 3 Evo's later, you learn a few things. Not to mention my experience with Turbo'd cars prior to the Evo.

I have written many articles about oil on this forum and many others and its something that most people do not fully understand. I am not going to get into every detail of why certain stuff works, as why others do not. What I can tell you is you are VERY unlikely to have any type of oil related failure in your Evo if your running a 100% name brand synthetic. Noises, vibrations and other aspects are usually to blame on parts WE put on our cars. Or poor tuning. There are many variables.

Is Royal Purple a bad oil? No. Have I used it? Yes. Am I using it now? No. Am I not using it because it was junk? No. I used RP XPR for over 10K miles while using WMI. I did have lifter tick while using it, but that is normal with the use of a 40w oil on stock lifters. But the RP XPR 10/40 was designed for use with Methanol in mind, so it was a simple choice to use it.

M1 is a very good product and will work fine for most people. Even with mods. You have M1 0-40 which is a very good oil, as well as the 10/30 HM or "High Mileage" (don't think its just for old engines or high miles) is very good, as is the Red Cap 15/50. Any of these oils would work, but don't think that higher cost, equals higher quality. Just because someone paid $9 for a qt of RP doesn't mean its better than the $7 qt of M1.

Amsoil is a very good oil and many people use it. I have no bad things to say about the oil, but just the way they present it. Thats all. Amsoil RD series is probably one of the better PAO based oils for the Evo on the market.

Redline is also very good. Someone mentioned oil cunsumption with Redline. When switching to Redline that is VERY common occurance in many vehicles. After the 3 to 4th oil change, the oil consumption stops. Why that is, I am not sure. There are many theroies on it. Redline though is a very good oil and you can run it with no worries as well.

Its all about preference. Brand Loyalty. Personal Experiences. Some mechanics swear by one oil as where others say its junk. If you try an oil and you flat out don't like it for whatever reason then get rid of it and try something else by all means.

The oils I mentioned in my prior post aren't the only oils to use, I only stated that those were oils from my research have been proven to work very well in the 4G63 over the years. So you shouldn't have any problem with any of the ones I listed.

Many good oils out there, that is for sure. Just depends if you want off the shelf, special order, and what your tuner sells. Its all up to you.
Good post!

I do agree 100% with you on the way Amsoil is presented on this forum. You'd swear it was refined by Jesus himself and sold by his disciples only!! Amusing as it is to me that kind of behavior usually turns me off to something. If something is good then great, but it's never the best for every situation....unless it has no competition of course.

Since it's winter and my car doesn't get driven as much and maybe goes WOT once every couple weeks (if that) I'm not crazy worried about the oil as long as it doesn't noticeably make my car run/sound worse. I'll be switching to Amsoil before spring for sure.

It's good to have threads like this though for people to read and understand that this oil nonsense that people get so crazy about is a lot of subjective hearsay.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Good post!

I do agree 100% with you on the way Amsoil is presented on this forum. You'd swear it was refined by Jesus himself and sold by his disciples only!! Amusing as it is to me that kind of behavior usually turns me off to something. If something is good then great, but it's never the best for every situation....unless it has no competition of course.

Since it's winter and my car doesn't get driven as much and maybe goes WOT once every couple weeks (if that) I'm not crazy worried about the oil as long as it doesn't noticeably make my car run/sound worse. I'll be switching to Amsoil before spring for sure.

It's good to have threads like this though for people to read and understand that this oil nonsense that people get so crazy about is a lot of subjective hearsay.
it would be nice if we were pmd about any issues concerning the advertising of the prods, we don't see comments hardly at all negative, it would be nice if we got feed back to better serve you.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
it would be nice if we were pmd about any issues concerning the advertising of the prods, we don't see comments hardly at all negative, it would be nice if we got feed back to better serve you.
Actually the intention of my statement had nothing to do with u or your service. It mostly involves average people who jump on the Amsoil bandwagon and condemn those who use anything else.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

Actually the intention of my statement had nothing to do with u or your service. It mostly involves average people who jump on the Amsoil bandwagon and condemn those who use anything else.
SRT, i understand what you mean,,, is like i think Toyota is the best car to buy because it has proved to last over 20 year and 300,000 miles

i remember when i first joinned this forum and all we all used was Mobil 1 some others used the dyno oils like BP, VR ect... but as we evom all grew as a community we strived for better products and at this point in the game it has become real clear by the evidence provided that AMSOIL is in the top notch line of premium oils,,, clearly because of simple facts like ASMOIL uses group 4 PAO easter stock based formulas.

its all relevant man, its like the guys that die hard by using all JE pistons or CP, a wise person does its research and finds out whats best for his application thorugh others research or his own, i opt to learn through others research is cheaper for my poket.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

no ! those who talk bad about it have been smart and educated themselves through research and scientific proof,,, most guys these days dont take the word of the salespeople they do their own homework.
blah blah blah. Its the same crap in every single RP thread regardless of good or bad. ie someone post review about RP(good/bad) and its a guarantee that someone from amsoil will come in post some pdf files, post some one liners of how their oil is better and crap up the entire discussion in an arrogant fashion. Not that it hurts your business but I don't care if amsoil came from the bebe jeezuz stig himself. Due to these strong arm tactics amsoil will never be used in my car. 75k hard miles all over Europe and still going strong on M1.
Yes I'm talking bad because I have no clue. There isn't an Evo in my driveway that sounds like horrid crap since RP was put into it. I'm making up all the noise (although other have confirmed it is in fact noisier) and I'm just here to bash RP. Although I didn't start this thread to bash the product I was simply looking for advice that means nothing because I've been talking to A**oil to (too) much.
In no way were my comments directed at you. More less prepping the thread for ams thuggery.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
blah blah blah. Its the same crap in every single RP thread regardless of good or bad. ie someone post review about RP(good/bad) and its a guarantee that someone from amsoil will come in post some pdf files, post some one liners of how their oil is better and crap up the entire discussion in an arrogant fashion. Not that it hurts your business but I don't care if amsoil came from the bebe jeezuz stig himself. Due to these strong arm tactics amsoil will never be used in my car. 75k hard miles all over Europe and still going strong on M1.

In no way were my comments directed at you. More less prepping the thread for ams thuggery.

I am starting a thread where I am posting lab results of various oils I have been trying out. You are welcome to send in anaylsis and post your results, or anyone for that matter. It will be nice to have this kind of info around for everyone. I have started this thread for also the reason you are posting above. I want to beleive the marketing hype but it seems like everyone on here has there own opinion about oils. I am just posting results so my thread is unbiased over any brand.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-testing.html
Old Dec 28, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Could be your engine really likes the thicker oils now, I use to change viscosity on my beater and just realized I had a rougher running car when I went back to the thinner oils. Just my two cents. It purrs on 20w50 now all year long!! 214,000miles and counting!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
I am starting a thread where I am posting lab results of various oils I have been trying out. You are welcome to send in anaylsis and post your results, or anyone for that matter. It will be nice to have this kind of info around for everyone. I have started this thread for also the reason you are posting above. I want to beleive the marketing hype but it seems like everyone on here has there own opinion about oils. I am just posting results so my thread is unbiased over any brand.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-testing.html
Keep in mind folks that UOA's are a false sense of security in deciding if an oil is doing its job. Many cars have had blown turbos and motors that had good UOA's. All the UOA's are good for is if the oil of choice is holding up, meaning that its additive package and TBN are good enough to be used longer. In the Evo's case extended drain intervals are silly even though they are doable. I have MANY UAO's and VOA's of MANY different oils, but they don't mean squat. Its just for my personal info on what is in each oil. UOA's I did was to see how the oil was holding up to Methanol that I was using.

Starting a thread like this is a good idea, but not to be taken at face value for what oil is better than another. It can be very misleading.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

SRT, i understand what you mean,,, is like i think Toyota is the best car to buy because it has proved to last over 20 year and 300,000 miles

i remember when i first joinned this forum and all we all used was Mobil 1 some others used the dyno oils like BP, VR ect... but as we evom all grew as a community we strived for better products and at this point in the game it has become real clear by the evidence provided that AMSOIL is in the top notch line of premium oils,,, clearly because of simple facts like ASMOIL uses group 4 PAO easter stock based formulas.

its all relevant man, its like the guys that die hard by using all JE pistons or CP, a wise person does its research and finds out whats best for his application thorugh others research or his own, i opt to learn through others research is cheaper for my poket.
No pun intended to Mr A here, but this is exactly why I don't use Amsoil either. The Oil is good, yes, but the attitude with it is just Blah.

The Toyota analagy is kinda funny. My Dad had 2 Toyotas with over 300K on them both and they survived without Amsoil. Imagine that? They survived without even using one drop of synthetic oil at all! Imagine that?? Geeze. Both Toyotas by the way are still trucking on to a 3rd generation family member. No mechanical problems at all. Is this because my Dad used a mystery oil from outer space? Or is it that Toyota just builds a hell of a car?? mmmmm.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get all the bs about RP. I used RP for the first 120,000 miles of my car's life. beat it to hell and back. along the way to 172,000 miles I've swapped back and forth between Mobile 1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil, and to this day I can't say that I've ever noticed any difference between any of them. the car sounded exactly the same, ran the same, everything. It all depends on what's available at the time. I'm currently on Mobile 1, but the next switch, if I can remember to order Amsoil before hand, I'll use that. if not, I might go with Mobile 1 or Royal Purple again. the only constant is a Mobile 1 oil filter. I've always used those.

oh, AND I'm an Amsoil dealer lol
Old Dec 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
No pun intended to Mr A here, but this is exactly why I don't use Amsoil either. The Oil is good, yes, but the attitude with it is just Blah.

The Toyota analagy is kinda funny. My Dad had 2 Toyotas with over 300K on them both and they survived without Amsoil. Imagine that? They survived without even using one drop of synthetic oil at all! Imagine that?? Geeze. Both Toyotas by the way are still trucking on to a 3rd generation family member. No mechanical problems at all. Is this because my Dad used a mystery oil from outer space? Or is it that Toyota just builds a hell of a car?? mmmmm.
Agreed the oil it great but I wouldn't use the **** it if it was given to me free.

Damn stuff is hyped on here like it's god gift to the automobile and can do everything from fix a busted trans, t case, and motor. I think I even saw a post where it cured cancer. And if you use any other oil which 90% of the Highest mile evo's have been on this site. You car is doomed to spend eternity in hell.

Give me a damn break.

I'll stay with what has worked 100% without issue for the last 6 years. And yes at way higher power levels than stock
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:04 AM
Account Disabled

Not a big deal jeff not trying to sell you anything, the AMSOIL sells itself here in these forums at this point in game of my business, the upfront work was done years ago
i figured there is only a hand full of you guys i think i reccal 3 members that keep *****ing about the AMSOIL business model, and in all honnesty i would do the same thing not buy from a business model that i dont like,,,,
BUT after FY11 selling over 25K i think we must be doing something right

Right those toyotas did last 300K,, but did they get the best MPG i wil garantee you NOT! ,, i am sure if you ploted the lost in excel you would find yourself with thousands of $$ lost in MPG over the course of 300,000 miles, did they get the best internal lubrication NOT! , and keep in mind i was not using toyota analogy to compare an evo,, this is an evo forum and the same will not apply to here.

its funny you say that you wont buy AMSOIL because of how ASMOIL strikes you,,, but then you PM'd us many times with your multiple paragraph pm's with many questions asking about ASMOIL but then you come in here with negative inputs,
you say you have much knowledge about oils, but then again you have been looking for the right oil since the thread about FP red and FP black oil choice came about months ago, Robert at FP even gave umbiased test results on different oils and you still are looking for the righ oil for your car,

I dont have to do any pursuacion any more, ASMOIL has so many users here on the forums there is no need anymore to be as agressive as i usto be in the beginning

No time to waste , moving on good luck
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
BUT after FY11 selling over 25K i think we must be doing something right
Yea by preaching that there car will not run as well, clean, or last as long as the car with AMSoil in it. HAHAHAHA

AMSoil business model=Scare tactics=Gimme a damn break
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lets see im on my 3rd brand of oil, owned my car since 39k, right about 54k between then was only running mobil 1 synthetic, was good for what it was, ran royal purple 20w50 recommended by my tuner due to built engine, ran that stuff, ehh not thrilled on it, for a normal commuter car DD will work fine, one thing i noticed mobil 1 didnt start lookin dirty till almost the 3k mark, 1k miles in to the royal purple and oil looked dirty already on the dipstick, switched that out now tryin out castrol syntec synthetic oil in a 10w30 it feels in the butt dyno like some power was restored...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:14 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Agreed the oil it great but I wouldn't use the **** it if it was given to me free.

Damn stuff is hyped on here like it's god gift to the automobile and can do everything from fix a busted trans, t case, and motor. I think I even saw a post where it cured cancer. And if you use any other oil which 90% of the Highest mile evo's have been on this site. You car is doomed to spend eternity in hell.

Give me a damn break.

I'll stay with what has worked 100% without issue for the last 6 years. And yes at way higher power levels than stock
have you ever stopped and thought about it for a sec,,, maybe is so hyped for a reason, its like evos are so hyped people want them they are nice cars for your $.

I think you are confusing good feedback from many evom members with hype, i cant recall us saying AMSOIL is the honey from heaven bla bla bla,,, i think in all fareness we have given what you guys need to learn about our product,, and as a consumer you then take that data and compare it to prove your point of whats best oil for you.

I wont spoon feed you, ill show you data and you take it and compare it and make your conclussions.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple= Loud engine??