Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Royal Purple= Loud engine??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aschold
That's stupid. There is always inevitably a "best." If there wasn't, there would be no purpose in striving to improve anything.
"Best" is a word that has a different meaning to many people. Striving to be the "best" you can be as a person. I agree with you. "best" motor Oil? Just doesn't exist. I was just referencing to the Oil Subject, not to life in general.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Oil Subjects. As Mr A knows, you just can't win them. There are many people that use RP and love it. Some hate it. Many use Amsoil, M1, BP, whatever, they love or hate it. Some Builders use Amsoil, some do not. I mean we can go on and on, but the fact still remains, that most Evo's don't use Amsoil and are pushing some huge HP numbers, and are very reliable.

Most modern synthetics now a days are all good. Good maintenance habbits are what saves motors, not technically what oil per say. If you run M1 or Valvoline synthetic and have good maintenance habbits, you won't have an oil related failure. That is what is important. All the tests you see, from whatever oil company is just sales hype.

One thing I have found after speaking with Feild reps from over 10 oil companies is they ALL sell the "best" oil.

I recently did a poll on SoCalEvo on which oil people use still. 85% I beleive still use M1, and most of those guys are pushing 100K on their Evo's. Some run RP, Some Run Redline, Some Amsoil.

They are all good. Maintenance is key.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
i cant recall us saying AMSOIL is the honey from heaven bla bla bla,,, .

The MTG in my transmission sure feels like it.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Oil Subjects. As Mr A knows, you just can't win them. There are many people that use RP and love it. Some hate it. Many use Amsoil, M1, BP, whatever, they love or hate it. Some Builders use Amsoil, some do not. I mean we can go on and on, but the fact still remains, that most Evo's don't use Amsoil and are pushing some huge HP numbers, and are very reliable.

Most modern synthetics now a days are all good. Good maintenance habbits are what saves motors, not technically what oil per say. If you run M1 or Valvoline synthetic and have good maintenance habbits, you won't have an oil related failure. That is what is important. All the tests you see, from whatever oil company is just sales hype.

One thing I have found after speaking with Feild reps from over 10 oil companies is they ALL sell the "best" oil.

I recently did a poll on SoCalEvo on which oil people use still. 85% I beleive still use M1, and most of those guys are pushing 100K on their Evo's. Some run RP, Some Run Redline, Some Amsoil.

People will also lean more towards what they can get easily. I have in the past tried and liked oils that are hard(er) to get (Motul,Agip,Elf) but because I cant get those as easily I look for a comparable brand. Good example, I really like and have had great results from Amsoil. Unfortunately only one local napa store stocks the stuff, vs. Pennzoil Ultra that Im trying out now that is half the price and MUCH more easily findable in my area. I like having the ability to be able to buy it locally if Im in a crunch vs ordering or calling ahead to verify stock. Thats my .02
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kask
Yeah sure buddy; you hit the nail in the head. That's exactly what it is.
no, you're right...psychology, pre-dispositions, and fear related paranoia don't affect people's actions at all.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
People will also lean more towards what they can get easily. I have in the past tried and liked oils that are hard(er) to get (Motul,Agip,Elf) but because I cant get those as easily I look for a comparable brand. Good example, I really like and have had great results from Amsoil. Unfortunately only one local napa store stocks the stuff, vs. Pennzoil Ultra that Im trying out now that is half the price and MUCH more easily findable in my area. I like having the ability to be able to buy it locally if Im in a crunch vs ordering or calling ahead to verify stock. Thats my .02
This is very true +1, no one within 100 miles of me sells Amsoil, M1 I can buy anywhere, and must admit the 10/30 HM M1 is a pretty stout oil for off the shelf. Penzoil Ultra I have not seen on shelves here yet. Its a little low on the zddp side though, but you can get away with that on an Evo, even though more zddp wouldn't hurt.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

This is very true +1, no one within 100 miles of me sells Amsoil, M1 I can buy anywhere, and must admit the 10/30 HM M1 is a pretty stout oil for off the shelf. Penzoil Ultra I have not seen on shelves here yet. Its a little low on the zddp side though, but you can get away with that on an Evo, even though more zddp wouldn't hurt.
yeah, just like I said in my post, I grab what I can when I need it if I can't remember to order it. i'm running the HM Mobile 1 right now.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

+1 Great post.

Guys keep it civil and on topic or else I'll have to talk to the mods about cleaning this thread up.

My original thought was very similar that I don't think that there are any "best" oils. Best is a word that we as people say to comfort ourselves. We throw the word around without care because others are doing it and it makes us feel safe with the product that we've purchased.

At the same time your engine is a lifeless being and doesn't really care for the word best. You know what it wants? Whatever makes it run the way it's supposed to. It's not worried whether you spent $13 or $0.50 on a each quart of oil you put into it. Whatever oil you get to work the "best" for your application....well that's your best.

Also another thought that had occurred to me is there are too many variables. You can take 5 of the same exact car that's recommended to have the same exact oil and I'm willing to bet that at least one or 2 of them will run better on certain oils the others don't. Why is it some have factory freaks? Why is it that 2 of the same exact care with the same exact parts may make completely different (although similar) power? I think the same answers to those questions apply to the oils we use.

If we had a chemical break down of what is exactly in each oil to the "T" then maybe we can analyze this matter more objectively.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
The MTG in my transmission sure feels like it.
i know TommiM
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I find it funny that someone actually challenged the statement that "the best" doesn't exist. it doesn't. To challenge that, and actually go so far as to call that a ridiculous statement is ridiculous in itself. There's no such thing as the "best" anything. There's "best available option" or "best for these conditions" but there's no end all, be all, best anything. there's always something, or someone bigger, better, faster, stronger, more reliable, more flexible, more versatile, etc.

the statement that there has to be a best because people are always striving to be better is a contradiction in itself. if there was a "best" then that would mean there was no point in trying to do any better, because that would be as good as it gets. I don't see how you didn't catch that while you were typing lol

there's no "best" oil. there are "better oils for your application" in some cases, but nothing can be perfect. Just use what works best for you out of what's available to you. As an Amsoil dealer, I don't think the point is to convince everyone that Amsoil is the best thing on the planet. The point is to show people how good it is, and get better at making it readily available and more easily accessed so then it can become the best of what's available to them.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04

At the same time your engine is a lifeless being and doesn't really care for the word best. You know what it wants? Whatever makes it run the way it's supposed to. It's not worried whether you spent $13 or $0.50 on a each quart of oil you put into it. Whatever oil you get to work the "best" for your application....well that's your best.

Also another thought that had occurred to me is there are too many variables. You can take 5 of the same exact car that's recommended to have the same exact oil and I'm willing to bet that at least one or 2 of them will run better on certain oils the others don't. Why is it some have factory freaks? Why is it that 2 of the same exact care with the same exact parts may make completely different (although similar) power? I think the same answers to those questions apply to the oils we use.

If we had a chemical break down of what is exactly in each oil to the "T" then maybe we can analyze this matter more objectively.

That is very true. Whatever small tolerances or nuances that are built into the final product of your engine will make it like one oil over the other for whatever reason and it can differ from another similar 4g63. My evo might not react as good to one oil where yours will love it. Doesnt mean that oil was not the best, just not the best for my application. Like it was stated above, there is no BEST, just best recommended, for your setup.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:14 PM

i ran RP in my boosted and NA sentra

RP saved my life on the track, over heated the oil at the track and during install friend crushed oil pump. I didn't find out it was crushed after i did the coolant bleed test. took the bottom end out and no issues.

but maybe different for evo... i am new to evo world

Has anyone contacted RP to find out why its makes engine louder
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rob_96
i ran RP in my boosted and NA sentra

RP saved my life on the track, over heated the oil at the track and during install friend crushed oil pump. I didn't find out it was crushed after i did the coolant bleed test. took the bottom end out and no issues.

but maybe different for evo... i am new to evo world

Has anyone contacted RP to find out why its makes engine louder

its thinner.... even though the weight specificed on the label of the quart... its always different.. just like various grocery products vary on the exact amount in every single serving bottle the company makes...

thinner oil makes more power because of less fluid friction...
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
I find it funny that someone actually challenged the statement that "the best" doesn't exist. it doesn't. To challenge that, and actually go so far as to call that a ridiculous statement is ridiculous in itself. There's no such thing as the "best" anything. There's "best available option" or "best for these conditions" but there's no end all, be all, best anything. there's always something, or someone bigger, better, faster, stronger, more reliable, more flexible, more versatile, etc.

the statement that there has to be a best because people are always striving to be better is a contradiction in itself. if there was a "best" then that would mean there was no point in trying to do any better, because that would be as good as it gets. I don't see how you didn't catch that while you were typing lol

there's no "best" oil. there are "better oils for your application" in some cases, but nothing can be perfect. Just use what works best for you out of what's available to you. As an Amsoil dealer, I don't think the point is to convince everyone that Amsoil is the best thing on the planet. The point is to show people how good it is, and get better at making it readily available and more easily accessed so then it can become the best of what's available to them.
Very Well Said +1
Old Jan 1, 2011, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

well, I went from redline 15w-50 (too thick and its cold) and swapped w/ some RP, and idle has smoothed out a bit, and have not noticed any issues w/ a louder motor or ticking lifters <fingers crossed>