Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Royal Purple= Loud engine??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple= Loud engine??

I tried to search for some answers, but came up inconclusive.

When I had my turbo kit put in a month ago they put Royal Purple 10w-40 back in it's place per my request on the weight. (I run 20w.50 in the summer and 10w-40 in the winter in my stroker).

Well the engine is just plain loud now. Much louder than I remember. Some of the noises that I hear sound different than before.

And cold start up is crappy. The engine makes this weird noise like it's shuddering and makes what sounds like a knocking noise for a good 8-10 seconds.

Should I ignore all this and just drive the car like normal or should I switch out the oil to something I trust a little bit more?? I've heard mixed things on RP. Some people love it and some people hate it. I had M1 in there before and my engine liked to drink that stuff up. It's the only oil my car has done that with. My buddy's STi does the same exact thing with M1 so I won't be going back to that.

I have run Amsoil before and will run it again in the Spring. I won't be ordering it now because I can't justify the cost of it with only a few months left of cold.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Dec 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the oil level ok? If its a bit low it can cause weird noises so I would check that for starters. If you had better luck with m1 or amsoil I would switch back to those.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to add that the oil level is fine. Hell even in my driveway at an angle it still reads that it has enough oil.

And M1 most certainly didn't work well for me. I might switch to Castrol or something until Spring.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:00 PM

i use amsoil, had bad problems with RP. amsoil is expensive but alot cheaper then a new motor
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed my engine was a little noisier at first after switching to RP. But it quieted down considerably after a couple of days. Now it doesn't sound any noisier than when I had M1 or Aimsoil in it. My engine also used to make the loud knocking noise that you described on cold starts on really cold days. I actually haven't heard it as much with the RP though. I heard it a lot more with M1. I think it was just a lifter sticking but who knows. I freaked out when I first heard it and my mechanic put some Seafoam in it which also seemed to help a lot.

Bottomline- Keep an eye on your oil level and give it a few more days to see if it gets better.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing new from royal purple
Old Dec 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I running RP at the moment and noticed my engine is a little louder as well. I figured because I haven't taken the 20-50 out and it has been 38 degrees in the morning. Not happy with the cost of RP either.

The shop that works on my car recommends Brad Penn and they run it in all their vehicles. Only reason I haven't switched is that BP isn't something you can buy at your local part store. Online it was $60 something shipped for a case of 12qts.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah my car is noticeably louder. Not like it sounds bad, but to me it doesn't sound like it's running as smooth or as quiet. I thought about running Brad Penn in the mean time, but finding it near here seems borderline impossible. I'll probably just switch to another synthetic in the mean time because honestly it sounds like it's getting worse.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i ran royal purple in mine religiously for the first 3-4 years with no issues. i switch between mobile 1 and amsoil now depending on whether I remember to order the amsoil before i need it or not lol
Old Dec 24, 2010, 05:44 PM

you know what, i've never thought about it but you may have a point in royal purple causing noises, cuz i've noticed sounds from my engine ever since switching to royal...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Real LA
you know what, i've never thought about it but you may have a point in royal purple causing noises, cuz i've noticed sounds from my engine ever since switching to royal...
this has been experienced for years in these forums.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Royal purple is big because of the huge marketing and the suckers that buy it.

I compared Royal purple to Valvoline synthetic outside in -20 degree weather and the Royal purple turned a lot thicker then the Valvoline. They were both 5w-30 weight

I would never put royal purple in my car.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

My room mate used to use RP 10w-30 in his 06 Saturn Ion Redline and it made it a lot louder and I personally didnt like how it sounded. Cant get him off the stuff though. I run amsoil exclusively...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

i used royal purple in my 9 as soon as i noticed it i changed it asap.. in my opinion ever since i used brad penn in my 2.3l evo 8... thats going to be the only oil im ever going to use in my evos. it runs great and sounds great on brad penns ..... just my 2 cents
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Dan. If you need BP I can help you get some. I would change it.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple= Loud engine??