Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Radio Relocation Fail...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radio Relocation Fail...

So I was so excited to get the Radio Relocation kit and Gruppe-S HVAC panel.

I installed it and moved the radio down to the lower cubby with 0 problems.

When I try to put in the 3 52MM Prosport gauges that I just bought I ran into a very annoying problem and wondering if anyone has found a solution to it. On the cutout on the farthest right of the Gruppe-S panel, when I insert my gauge it won't sit flush with the panel. I think it is getting caught on the right most spot of where the Radio used to mount (in the OEM position).

How can I go about fixing this so my gauge sits flat? I would really like all 3 Prosport gauges in that Panel, but if I have to I'll move my AEM Uego there (since it's a bit short in length than the Prosports).

Also, when I turned on the car the Oil Temp was sitting right around 100 and not moving at all. Do you think the gauge is reading incorrectly? Or did I just not give the car time to warm up and the temperature to rise?

Thanks for your help guys and I really can't believe I'm the first person to run into this problem.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

The problem with the right side gauge mounting hole on the Gruppe-S panel has been problematic for a lot of us. There have been several previous posts. My solution was to remove the metal radio bracket (it can be unbolted), and then cut away the part that blocks the gauge, and reinstall. Other members cut it away without removing it. Still others managed to bend it out of the way. Take your pick.

The oil temp gauge is probably okay. It will read whatever temperature the oil is at when you start the car. Just make sure that all of the gauges are grounded really well. If you are installing any digital gauges, I would use individual grounds (not connected to to the same screw, etc.) for each gauge. That is AEM's recommendation, and what I did on my install. Seems the AEM wideband in extremely sensitive to sharing a common ground, even with other AEM gauges.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lcwjr
The problem with the right side gauge mounting hole on the Gruppe-S panel has been problematic for a lot of us. There have been several previous posts. My solution was to remove the metal radio bracket (it can be unbolted), and then cut away the part that blocks the gauge, and reinstall. Other members cut it away without removing it. Still others managed to bend it out of the way. Take your pick.

The oil temp gauge is probably okay. It will read whatever temperature the oil is at when you start the car. Just make sure that all of the gauges are grounded really well. If you are installing any digital gauges, I would use individual grounds (not connected to to the same screw, etc.) for each gauge. That is AEM's recommendation, and what I did on my install. Seems the AEM wideband in extremely sensitive to sharing a common ground, even with other AEM gauges.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your help sir. I looked at removing the radio bracket but couldn't figure out how. I didn't see anything holding it in place.

As for my grounding issue, I grounded the aem uego to a separate bolt, then grounded the other 3 ProSport gauges to another bolt.

Also out of curiosity what is the average oil temp and oil pressure for our cars?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

I ran into the same problem with mine. Although, rather than using the supplied mounting bracket for the gauge furthest right (towards the passenger) you can just use double sided tape. I put the supplied tape from Prosport around the gauge and gave it a snug shove into the Gruppe-S panel. It should work out alright. Not exactly the solution I was looking for when I did my research but it works and honestly holds as good as those metal brackets they give you.

The only thing I can think is that I was using 60mm gauges from their Premium lineup. And I had the 60mm Gruppe-S panel. But it should be very similar nonetheless.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imma sound like an echo here but yea, i've dealt with that same problem...+1 on just bending it slightly enough to allow the gauge to fit...but still keep it with little bend as possible just in case you do decide to put the radio back at top, you can just bend the bracket back
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rayman0690
I ran into the same problem with mine. Although, rather than using the supplied mounting bracket for the gauge furthest right (towards the passenger) you can just use double sided tape. I put the supplied tape from Prosport around the gauge and gave it a snug shove into the Gruppe-S panel. It should work out alright. Not exactly the solution I was looking for when I did my research but it works and honestly holds as good as those metal brackets they give you.

The only thing I can think is that I was using 60mm gauges from their Premium lineup. And I had the 60mm Gruppe-S panel. But it should be very similar nonetheless.
I didn't even realize that you were supposed to use the brackets supplied with the gauges. Did they look like two L brackets put together in the shape of a U?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mx4life85
So I was so excited to get the Radio Relocation kit and Gruppe-S HVAC panel.

I installed it and moved the radio down to the lower cubby with 0 problems.

When I try to put in the 3 52MM Prosport gauges that I just bought I ran into a very annoying problem and wondering if anyone has found a solution to it. On the cutout on the farthest right of the Gruppe-S panel, when I insert my gauge it won't sit flush with the panel. I think it is getting caught on the right most spot of where the Radio used to mount (in the OEM position).

How can I go about fixing this so my gauge sits flat? I would really like all 3 Prosport gauges in that Panel, but if I have to I'll move my AEM Uego there (since it's a bit short in length than the Prosports).

Also, when I turned on the car the Oil Temp was sitting right around 100 and not moving at all. Do you think the gauge is reading incorrectly? Or did I just not give the car time to warm up and the temperature to rise?

Thanks for your help guys and I really can't believe I'm the first person to run into this problem.

The lowest reading the gauge reads is 100 deg so thats where it sits at. Once the temps start to rise beyond that it should move accordingly. How long did you leave the car running when you said the guage wasnt responding? IMO I just cant see having an issue with sharing a common ground with all 3 gauges, so long as the ground is good.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I agree completely. I didn't leave the car on for very long, 5 minutes at the most.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=mx4life85;8938928]Thanks for your help sir. I looked at removing the radio bracket but couldn't figure out how. I didn't see anything holding it in place....[quote]

The part of the radio bracket which is interfering with the right side gauge is attached with two (or three?) screws. They're a bit awkward to get to, but you can do it. Again, you can just bend the bracket out of the way rather than remove it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mx4life85
I didn't even realize that you were supposed to use the brackets supplied with the gauges. Did they look like two L brackets put together in the shape of a U?
Yeah, that's what I did at least. If I get the chance I'll go pop mine off and take a quick picture so you can see what I did on my install. It may not be the best way or even the right way...but it's what I figured was the only way to mount them to keep from moving all around.

I'll do my best! (There is some white stuff on the ground here believe it or not...so I have to brave that, haha)
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rayman0690
Yeah, that's what I did at least. If I get the chance I'll go pop mine off and take a quick picture so you can see what I did on my install. It may not be the best way or even the right way...but it's what I figured was the only way to mount them to keep from moving all around.

I'll do my best! (There is some white stuff on the ground here believe it or not...so I have to brave that, haha)
Ya we have some over here in Charlotte for once. If you could snap a picture of how you mounted yours I would greatly appreciate it.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good to know concidering mine is in the mail lol thank you guys
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Here's the picture of my install I said I would post.