Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Would you buy a built Evo?
Yes
57.21%
No
42.79%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a built Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted yes, well partially because mine is for sale.

However, BIG NOTE that I would be extremely careful doing so.

You should talk with the owner of the car and really make them explain everything to you. I would caution you away from the sort of seller that doesn't know why a part was replaced and the benefit in replacing it. They should be able to describe to you why, not just give you an answer like "it makes more power" or "people on the internet were making more power with it so I bought it".

You have to keep in mind that this will be come your investment and if the previous owner isn't willing to take a considerable amout of time to explain the car to you then you will likely get stuck where the last owner gave up and be unhappy with the car, yourself.

*insert shameless plug*

Personally the last built car I sold I kept in touch with the new owner for months via email after he bought it. I only lost touch with him, litterally when HE stopped emailing me with questions.

If you're interested PM me I will send you a link to my posting.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evodood
I voted yes, well partially because mine is for sale.

However, BIG NOTE that I would be extremely careful doing so.

You should talk with the owner of the car and really make them explain everything to you. I would caution you away from the sort of seller that doesn't know why a part was replaced and the benefit in replacing it. They should be able to describe to you why, not just give you an answer like "it makes more power" or "people on the internet were making more power with it so I bought it".

You have to keep in mind that this will be come your investment and if the previous owner isn't willing to take a considerable amout of time to explain the car to you then you will likely get stuck where the last owner gave up and be unhappy with the car, yourself.

*insert shameless plug*

Personally the last built car I sold I kept in touch with the new owner for months via email after he bought it. I only lost touch with him, litterally when HE stopped emailing me with questions.

If you're interested PM me I will send you a link to my posting.
I like everything you said except the part i highlighted. Sorry man cant agree with that. There are people out there like my friend that moved from Mexico that have a fully built 2.3 30r evo that just wanted it fast period. he did not care just had a number in mind and said get me this and dropped it off. Keep in mind some people dont care about researching and just see youtube and fast and furious and want something similar so they go see a good shop and say here is 18k build me something beautiful when they are done with car they sell as is. not to mention parts are always constantly evolving so maybe he is using a 30r when a fp red is better and comparable so he is using a ets 3" intercooler or a turbo xs exhaust but he built his awhile ago so why would he attempt to keep up with the latest and greatest if his car is making the exact power he paid the shop for he is just driving it so know a user should not be able to tell you every little detail. Its your job as a buyer to do the home work and get all parts looked at.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:15 AM

I would not......

I want a car built my way and if someone else puts it togather or builds the engine then who knows what....

Ive seen a ton of horror stories of buddies buying "BUILT" cars and once home it comes apart to find out it has stock just about everything.....
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
I like everything you said except the part i highlighted. Sorry man cant agree with that. There are people out there like my friend that moved from Mexico that have a fully built 2.3 30r evo that just wanted it fast period. he did not care just had a number in mind and said get me this and dropped it off. Keep in mind some people dont care about researching and just see youtube and fast and furious and want something similar so they go see a good shop and say here is 18k build me something beautiful when they are done with car they sell as is. not to mention parts are always constantly evolving so maybe he is using a 30r when a fp red is better and comparable so he is using a ets 3" intercooler or a turbo xs exhaust but he built his awhile ago so why would he attempt to keep up with the latest and greatest if his car is making the exact power he paid the shop for he is just driving it so know a user should not be able to tell you every little detail. Its your job as a buyer to do the home work and get all parts looked at.
Not what I meant by that statement.

That statement was not meant to involve opinion over part brands. But to refer to reasons for upgrade.

For instance "I upgraded the intercooler because the factory one was heat soaking." (logical/justifiable, probaly well informed owner) as opposed to "I upgraded the intercooler because ARC is the best on the market. " (type of answer that would make me concerned about the owner mindset)
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:36 PM

I think one of the biggest challenges is agreeing on what the mods are worth. I bought my first Evo in April and based on my research I paid roughly - $1,000 for about $7,000+ worth of parts and labor - I did talk to the shop to make sure that they agreed with the description of the work that the PO gave me. From the seller's point of view, it's hard to come to terms with getting only 15% of your investment back.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:01 PM

No sir.
Not a fan of buying any car thats been previously modded.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as you know enough to evaluate the build and the builder, buying an already built car saves you time and money. You just need to know how to pick it
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love previously modded cars.. You pay about 15-25% of what they have into the car and then if you dont like it you part it out and buy everything you wanted for it..

Mike
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:32 PM

as long as it had nothing to do with DTM motorsports sure why not most of my MD,VA,DC people know what im talking about
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Lol
Old Dec 28, 2010, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
As long as you know enough to evaluate the build and the builder, buying an already built car saves you time and money. You just need to know how to pick it
Originally Posted by AWD Motorsports
I love previously modded cars.. You pay about 15-25% of what they have into the car and then if you dont like it you part it out and buy everything you wanted for it..

Mike
Both of these 100%. I like money in my pocket. Thanks
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I decided to finish the car. Its going to be done the right way, with the best parts for my particular setup. Im joining the the same group as rockman, mikey (blkcarbonevo), and a couple others on here
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:05 PM

I wouldn't have a problem buying a previously modded car as long as I have the chance to go over it thoroughly and speak with the person who did most of the work. However, I would need documentation for all internal engine modifications. Preferably the work would be done by a well known shop too...
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lillev23
Well, I decided to finish the car. Its going to be done the right way, with the best parts for my particular setup. Im joining the the same group as rockman, mikey (blkcarbonevo), and a couple others on here
Ill be glad to say welcome to the family boss

Originally Posted by LimitedSlip7
I wouldn't have a problem buying a previously modded car as long as I have the chance to go over it thoroughly and speak with the person who did most of the work. However, I would need documentation for all internal engine modifications. Preferably the work would be done by a well known shop too...
i have the perfect fully built from ground up evo for you if you have 15k and dont mind shipping i have one for sale.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

no matter what its a lose lose situation when modifying your car if you plan to sell it

take for instance my evo i just bought, i paid a little over 24,000 for it with a couple modifications

the original owner probably paid $35,000+ for the car
put 25,000 miles on it and put these parts on it

works o2 housing, dp, cat, exhaust ($1,800)
buschur porter/coated manifold ($200)
Monster sport hood ($1500)
monster sport intake ($500)
Monster charge pipes (400)
Sun ignition ($200)
Fidanza fw/clutch ($700)
HKS EVc VI ($600)
Ivey tuned ($400ish??)
Pioneer indash navi ($1500)
kosei wheels/re-o1r tires ($1500)

that means he had over $8,000 in mods, none of which added value and only made it harder for him to sell because it made the vehicle "personalized" and had to find the right buyer

I dont consider my car built by any means but that just shows you even simple mods add up quick

Quick Reply: Would you buy a built Evo?