Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Would you buy a built Evo?
Yes
57.21%
No
42.79%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a built Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a built Evo?

Well the thought has crossed my mind a couple of times about getting rid of my Evo because of my future plans (getting out of the military and going to school). While there are Evos getting bought and sold on here all the time, you also see alot of Evos getting parted out because people arent willing to pay for a well built vehicle (or they aren't willing to pay what the vehicle is worth). So this leaves me wondering if I should finish my car then sell it, or the just sell it as is. What do you think?

Thanks
William
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
What do you need to do to "finish" it? People buy and sell built EVOs regularly. The key is having a solid well documented build done by a reputable shop. You won't get any where near the money you put in it, but you'll get much more than if the car isn't running.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
what do you need to do to "finish" it? People buy and sell built evos regularly. The key is having a solid well documented build done by a reputable shop. You won't get any where near the money you put in it, but you'll get much more than if the car isn't running.
+1
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on all details. If the build was done by a top level performance shop in the Evo community and had all parts documented it would look good. Then it depends on each individual buyer's preferences in parts and if the car was something they would see themselves building the same way.

I believe most potential buyers would rather buy the car finished and in running condition. Smart buyers do not want a headache. However, you could test the waters and post it as a feeler and someone may find it to be a good car to finish off the way they would like to.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

My car is just missing a built motor honestly. Granted, my car wasn't built by a reputable shop (I built it myself), but it was tuned by one (AWD Motorsports). I don't expect to get all of my money back, but I refuse to just give my car away. I put the best of everything on this from the wheels and tires (15x7 Volk CE28Ns), to the tune (done by Diiirk@AWD, who has tuned the world's quickest/fastest stock ECU Evo). When I sell the car, I want to sell it as turn-key package where all you have to do is put in some gas (E85/E98), swap the race tires on, and run 9s if you're an average driver.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thats my plan for my next evo buy it already built but they need to have all receipts and since ER is the closest big name they cud look it over to make sure everything is up to spec ;D dont want to spend all that money again after im done building my evo from scratch im barely on the TBE! lol so a built evo for a good price is def a seller in my books
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:29 AM

I wouldnt ...most of the evo that are built are mostly beat up ...SOME not all of them ...because people just built cars and selll them for a living ...but it would be better if u buy a evo thats some what stock and built it your self (performance shop) ...from there you will know the abuse your car is taken because is droven by you also is fun building a car =)

Ps it will bond you and your evo more together if you show some love !
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:30 AM

I wouldnt ...most of the evo that are built are mostly beat up ...SOME not all of them ...because people just built cars and selll them for a living ...but it would be better if u buy a evo thats some what stock and built it your self (performance shop) ...from there you will know the abuse your car is taken because is droven by you also is fun building a car =)

Ps it will bond you and your evo more together if you show some love !
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

DON'T DO IT WILL!!!!

Some people don't want to take on someone else headaches.But in your case, I know you dont beat up on your car. So if you we're to sell it someone would be getting a well built car.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by lillev23
My car is just missing a built motor honestly. Granted, my car wasn't built by a reputable shop (I built it myself), but it was tuned by one (AWD Motorsports). I don't expect to get all of my money back, but I refuse to just give my car away. I put the best of everything on this from the wheels and tires (15x7 Volk CE28Ns), to the tune (done by Diiirk@AWD, who has tuned the world's quickest/fastest stock ECU Evo). When I sell the car, I want to sell it as turn-key package where all you have to do is put in some gas (E85/E98), swap the race tires on, and run 9s if you're an average driver.
I'd do drop in pistons. It's easy and relatively inexpensive for the piece of mind it will give buyers. Very few people will be interested in a "stock" block that ran 9s figuring the motor has been pushed to the limits. I'm not saying they're right, but that's exactly what I'd think. If I was buying your car with the stock block, my offer would be based on the assumption I'd need to rebuild the block. You can test the waters with it as is, but I bet in your case, you'll more than get back your cost for dropping in pistons because when people are thinking about rebuilds, they're figuring at least $3k for a budget rebuild and probably more like $5k.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

As others have stated only a built one from a reputable shop.

I remember seeing a couple of AMS Evos for sale last year on their website that really tempted me.

AWD Motorsports Shaun had his 9 sec street Evo for sale last year that really had me thinking about selling my Supra.

Just some examples.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

There are plenty of beat up low mile bolt on cars also. Evos in general are driven hard and when they are tracked components wear prematurely and things break. The only way I would buy a built car is if there were very low miles on the build. A built motor means nothing if there are a million launches on the original drivetrain.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If i buy another evo im buying a built evo period. All this bond with your car is nonesense once you actually do a build and see the down time and how much it actually cost to do a fully built setup. NOT ALL EVOS that are built means they are beat on regularly. Some of us go to lots of car shows so its just more to show off. Some of us were kind of forced to build our motors because of engine failure or oem motor just not working right. Not everybody wants to go though process of building a car. Its is 1000x cheaper to buy a car built for sure I should have done that to begin with. NOW there are some clunker builds out there and you could get somebodies headache which is true but thats part of the risk. Also you should have any built car fully inspected by a reputable shop to begin with. then again you could get a steal deal as well. For the people in my shoes that have spend 17k-25k on building the car fully(longblock bolt on tune) you understand and most would not go down that road again. IN your shoes OP I would sell the car as is and see what you get no point in putting more money into a project you dont want anymore. Thats wasteful just sell it as is and get what you can get and move on.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 08:47 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RockmanX
IN your shoes OP I would sell the car as is and see what you get no point in putting more money into a project you dont want anymore. Thats wasteful just sell it as is and get what you can get and move on.
...good advice.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 09:00 AM

After having a DSM for awhile and building that I was looking for an evo that was slightly modded. I found one with basic mods that I was planning on doing anyway. I also agree with Rockman X, if you want something else, no sense in putting more $ into it. Put it out there and see what kind of interest you get.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a built Evo?