Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

connecting rods

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
connecting rods

im starting my build already have stock bore ams pistons now im looking to buy so connecting rods ive been looking around and there is alot to chose from so i would to get some suggestions on what other people have used im lookin to put down a solid 550 to 600 whp.....please help
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manley H beam... rated at 625
but if u want to play it safe... then I beams will be more than solid...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:11 PM

thanks the h beam was what i leanin toward would like the i beam but a little costly
Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmsego
thanks the h beam was what i leanin toward would like the i beam but a little costly
the money you save by getting the h beams will evaporate if you send one through the block......you should spend a little more now imho
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

IMO I would not skimp out now since its going to be more costly to go back and redo the work if you want more in the future.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tfresh
IMO I would not skimp out now since its going to be more costly to go back and redo the work if you want more in the future.
Rods are the most highly stressed component in your rotating assembly. Not a place to save money. The higher end rods are Carillo, Crower, Pauter, R&R, Oliver and the "top-line" versions of Manley (some rod mfgrs offer several grades of rods...).
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Rods are the most highly stressed component in your rotating assembly. Not a place to save money.
This X 2
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that you should overbuild when it comes to the connecting rods, your goal is 550-600 for now but we all know how easily that can change lol. Check out our rods below, they are the cheapest I beam option that we offer and proven to 1053whp

Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reactionevo8
the money you save by getting the h beams will evaporate if you send one through the block......you should spend a little more now imho
I agree 150%. I've always been cautious in motor mods to remain totally reliable. I went with the Manley H-beams because I wouldn't be reaching 500whp and preferred the lighter weight. The result was two rods breaking in half at around 5000rpm, 11:1 pistons, 26psi, E-85. The tune was not agressive and no knock was measured. The lower halves of the rods remained connected to the crank and beat holes in the block. My engine builder surveyed the damage and found a .020 thickness variance in a critical part of the failed H-beams. Not going with an I-beam rod cost me a $6000+ rebuild. There are several good I-beams including those from Manley, Pauter and Howard. If you want to save money, do it smart. Howard makes top quality, 1000whp+ rods that are only a little more than the H-beams.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo8RA
If you want to save money, do it smart. Howard makes top quality, 1000whp+ rods that are only a little more than the H-beams.
Thanks for the kind words Mark, as we discussed at lunch I would love to get a set of these into your new build
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reactionevo8
I totally agree! I would recommend I-beams to anyone, unless they were 1000hp H-beams which I like more. I would personally look into GSC's new lightweight H-beam that is rated to 1000hp. Not sure if they are released yet but I know Greg is making them/testing them as we speak. I have GSC rods in my car

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
I agree that you should overbuild when it comes to the connecting rods, your goal is 550-600 for now but we all know how easily that can change lol. Check out our rods below, they are the cheapest I beam option that we offer and proven to 1053whp

Chris, if I'm not mistaken... Your rods are also 100lbs a piece, correct?

heavy weight=destroying rod bearings (prob only last 15k miles if your luck)

Mikey
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I totally agree! I would recommend I-beams to anyone, unless they were 1000hp H-beams which I like more. I would personally look into GSC's new lightweight H-beam that is rated to 1000hp. Not sure if they are released yet but I know Greg is making them/testing them as we speak. I have GSC rods in my car

Chris, if I'm not mistaken... Your rods are also 100lbs a piece, correct?

heavy weight=destroying rod bearings (prob only last 15k miles if your luck)

Mikey
Haha 630 grams (lighter than Manley I Beams by 40 grams) but you were in the ballpark Its all personal preference I guess, I'd rather have a beefy rod to ensure there is sufficient material in all the right places (thus the purpose of finite element analysis) than try and cut weight out of a critical engine component. Additionally our rods feature the early 4g63 rod bearings that are wider to support additional load, we have yet to hear of a bearing issue with any build utilizing our rods

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Jan 5, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Haha 630 grams (lighter than Manley I Beams by 40 grams) but you were in the ballpark Its all personal preference I guess, I'd rather have a beefy rod to ensure there is sufficient material in all the right places (thus the purpose of finite element analysis) than try and cut weight out of a critical engine component. Additionally our rods feature the early 4g63 rod bearings that are wider to support additional load, we have yet to hear of a bearing issue with any build utilizing our rods
Ya they are not to heavy. I am just not a fan of rods over 600 grams. just a personal pref. the wider rod bearings are a plus though! Kevin tried to get me to jump on that band waggon.

Mikey