Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winter-proofing an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm about to grab a set of four winters as well. How thin are you guys running these tires, or are you staying OEM size? I was hoping to maybe go 215 if there wasn't any issues.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I use the Factory 235 size never an issue. Damn thing is a tank in the snow hell I prefer it to my GF's Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Not sure I'd go thinner than a 225 on the evo. To be honest and probably just related to the tire but Generals 235's are leaps and bounds better than previous Blizzack 225's I have driven on in both snowy conditions and dry conditions.

Though theoretically same tire a 225's should perform better in the snow
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by traitorzxiong
Stay OEM or a tad bigger.
Bigger for winter is really not a great idea.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always had a mini batt (Buschur relabel) and it's been fine in the winter. It's good for 3-4 days below freezing without a trickle charge. If the CCA's are 600+, then you should be ok.

Some ppl use 5w-30 in cold winter months, I don't since I don't drive the Evo much in the winter but check your manual to see what it says on the subject.

Good luck
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by traitorzxiong
Stay OEM or a tad bigger.
Wrong...215/50/17 or 225/50/17 on stock rims, for snow tires.

+1 Nokian Hakapollita R's best studless snow tire, 225/50's are like $960 for the set though.

Blizzacks are also very good I used to run the LM-22's... from a dig (when I was at 300whp) in an inch of snow I could launch the car spin the tires all the way through first, when I shifted into second it would GRIP and take off! That was addictive.

I am now running the Hankook ipeaks (215/50/17's)I have not had them long enough to review, but they seem to ride nice on dry pavement. They are much cheaper then either of the other two at around $130 a tire for the 215, and have been highly recommended.

For Winter I change to stock suspension, stock rims with winter tires, remove brake duct hoses and change to big battery as my braille no weight does not like the cold. I run the same oil all year, Total/ELF Quartz Racing 10w-50

Last edited by casper980; Jan 3, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ I have Hakkas on my Evo for the limited miles she accumulates in the winter. I have not found a comparable snow and ice tire but to your point, they can be expensive. However, I have had mine for 7 winters with no issues (no compound distortion, dry rot, etc). I can't say the same for my Blizzaks or Scorpion S+I tires.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 05:38 PM

dedicated winter tires kick all season @$$. also check into mudflaps and rubber mats. also make sure to get the under carriage washed off regularly.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:26 PM

I would definitely go with blizzaks or nokians.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Put it in a garage
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Paintballguy
Put it in a garage
That's a swell idea. Unfortunately I live in an apartment with one level of underground parking that's almost as cold as the outside world.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by casper980
I am now running the Hankook ipeaks (215/50/17's)I have not had them long enough to review, but they seem to ride nice on dry pavement. They are much cheaper then either of the other two at around $130 a tire for the 215, and have been highly recommended.
I had a set of Hankook winters a few years ago, they seemed decent. The 215 size - does it "stretch" at all? I want as thin as I can go, we get some decent snow out here, but I don't want to sacrifice bead integrity or look like a Mk3 Jetta owner.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:32 AM

Yeah you definately need tires, took out my evo for the first time in the Chicago snow with the summer tires and it sucked big time. Every turn I was sliding all over the place. I kind of liked but not so my wife.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by True Blue
I had a set of Hankook winters a few years ago, they seemed decent. The 215 size - does it "stretch" at all? I want as thin as I can go, we get some decent snow out here, but I don't want to sacrifice bead integrity or look like a Mk3 Jetta owner.
These are a new tire to the market and I am very happy with them so far, I have finally been able to test them and they are pretty good the car feels safe and planted in 3 inches of snow. I was able to perform some perfect low speed snow drifts and I am starting to feel confident in the tires abilities. The 215's are stretched a bit, but not too much IMO. The only cons of the tire so far is that they are square edges(more snow tire like), instead of rounded like my blizzacks were for cornering on dry pavement. Also the speed rating is lower compared to the Bridgestones.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Beebo05
dedicated winter tires kick all season @$$.
unless you only use main roads that are regularly plowed/salted i agree 100% I'm on semi decent all seasons and unless its dry or the snow plows have been out in full force i'm pretty sure i could get where i need to go quicker and safer on foot.

all seasons ARE pretty exciting on back/gravel roads with nothing to hit and empty corn fields all around after a good snow though.

As for your car acting funny, I'm on the same tune i had in the summer (temps ranged from ~100 in summer to -13 so far this winter) and while it does occasionally take 2 tries to keep the car running from a cold start i have no other issues. If you tuned it in Hawaii and haven't changed anything since you moved to Korea, I'd guess that the elevation/humidity/pressure/etc have affected your tune poorly otherwise you may need to look at other options.

And finally since no one else posted it, make sure to carry around some sort of "cold weather kit"... small snow shovel, extra blanket/socks/gloves, some sand/cat litter, lighter, small candle, etc are some of the stuff people recommended to me as this is my first real winter (orig from the south east) just in case you get caught out in heavy snow or run off the road. I've been lazy about keeping anything with me since i hardly ever get off the main highways other than to turn into my or a friend's subdivision, but its good to keep in mind if you frequent roads with less traffic or ones that dont get much attention during snow removal
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:33 AM

I run a set of cheapo stock rims with 225/45/17 blizzaks on the evo.

Wife's Lancer GTS is rolling on some 16" steelies and studded firestone winterforce tires. Her tires are better than my non-studded blizzaks...but both cars do VERY well in the snow and ice.

Quick Reply: Winter-proofing an Evo