Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade evo for cts-v

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what your needs are i would say a 05 subaru legacy gt would be perfect.

It doesnt have that highschool look like an evo, but still has 4 cylinder turbo, awd, good power and fun to drive.

It also has some luxury that you would find in a cadi, heated seats, thick leather, 6 cd changer, awesome sound system. The legacy even has heated windshield wipers, mirrors ect ect.

Its a very very nice car in the inside, and stylish on the outside.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

I don't use my Evo as a daily driver and I"m pretty sure I wouldn't want to either. So, I can understand your inclination to trade for a more comfortable car. My daily is a Denali and like the comfy seats, audio/video, navigation, smooth ride in my daily commute...things I don't want in the Evo. As for rattles and squeaks...both cars have 100K miles and will have that sort of thing. My 06 Evo with 20k on it rattles far less than my 00 Denali with 212K on it.

I'm definitely a fan of the cts-v and have considered buying one as a daily driver myself. In fact, about 6 months ago I was shopping around for one. I would be more inclined to buy an 06 and up with mileage in the 60K range for a few grand more than a first year car with 100k. However, if a straight trade best suits your current financial situation and you believe you'll enjoy the caddy more then the only thing to consider is the current value of each.

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
And im sure the clutch job on that specific caddy is going to be more costly than the Evo clutch job. G/l on your decision.
IDK about caddy, but I couldn't find a shop around central TX that would do the Evo clutch for less than $800. Couple that with only a few of them would do an aftermarket/ perf clutch and clutch jobs on the Evo get real expensive. My exedy twin install ran me 2700 for parts and labor. I'm pretty sure on a RWD LS setup you could have one done for less.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTS-V that year with over 100k miles, LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN! That my opinion!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q8_EVO
105k miles is alot
yeah maintenance and parts prolly more than the evo hands down.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

some of you guys are getting the wrong idea....

he is talking about an 04 CTSV - NOT THE NEW COUPE....

Its heavy, can't turn with a poop, your evo right now would put a hurt on that car as for terms of speed and handling...

As stated, I would look at a higher mileage BMW M3

or

with 103k or whatever you have on your evo - look at replacing a few things to help quiet it down..

how are the motor mounts? Shocks? What type of tires do you run?

There are a few things that can help quiet the car down but at the end of the day, you bought a street going race car....

race cars make noises, they make squeeks... my answer, get a AMS TBE with test pipe and you wont hear any of it....

with as expensive as caddy's get to fix, I wouldn't do it...

any car with 100k+ is going to make noises!!

Last edited by 2003lancerevo8; Jan 5, 2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Inflame
Depends how the car was maintained. My car with 104k miles has a healthier engine than some evo's with 40k miles
Seeing how you're citing an unusual amount of buzzes and rattles, the car's past history may not be spotless.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

i definetly am on the same boat as OP, my eye keeps wandering towards more luxury sports cars. i've grown out of that boy racer stage; evo is way too raw for me now. then again i know i'd loose money selling/trading it for something else, i can put that money into softening the evo up if need be.

private trades arent treated same as dealer trades when it comes to taxes. even if the evo and cts-v is even trade, you'll have to pay tax on the reasonable/fair value(cannot say your car is $100 price tag). so if your car is at minimum worth 10k, why not just spend $600(6% sales tax) on making your evo nicer?

do a full out sound deadening of your interior/trunk, adding 50lb weight is nothing compared to how fatty that cts-v is(04' ctsv is 3850 lbs!). hell you can add 100lbs to your evo and it will still be WAY lighter haha. invest in a quieter catback. get some nice SSL leather seats and a nice stereo.

Last edited by mifesto; Jan 5, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

LOL, you actually have a very minor upgrade list...

when you get into built motors, upgraded turbo's, aggressive coil overs, your car turns into a whole new machine...

i see where alot of people are looking at more tame luxury sport cars but with the expense that goes with em id still stick with an evo...

many things you can dial down and lose some of that boy racer issue... sometimes people need a switch to a different car to realize how good we have it with the evo...

i have yet to drive a car that is as nimble and can handle like the evo in the same weight category, as well as produce equal horsepower to $ modifications...

My next car will more than likely be a Acura NSX....
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NO DON'T DO IT!!! Get a Porsche 996TT

Mikey
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
I researched them for a while. The 04 and 05 have rear diff issues and many replace them from 06 and up. Another issue is the stereo unit having buttons that flake off which GM warrantied on some. Worn motor mounts is also another common problem and most people upgrade to aftermarket. They take to mods well and they are comfortable and compact. The whine with a maggie bolted to it is pretty awesome. Also, clutch is heavy, but to be expected. Seats don't hug as much, but even ones with higher miles dont have much bolster wear.

If you want one, look on cadillacforums for one, you can find modded and maintained ones for cheap.
Everything on the car has been maintained/replaced except for the clutch. First owner was a 60y/old attorey

Motor mounts, rear diff, etc have all been replaced. New brakes, tires, etc too.

Originally Posted by Fireant
One other thing to keep in mind is that the original Vs have 6 lug wheels, just a weird oddity that makes it very hard to find aftermarket wheels.
I never cared about wheels.

Originally Posted by badev0
I wouldn't trade either... I'd get one as a beater though for a daily (keeping the Evo for a fun car)
Never liked owning more than 1 car

Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
From what your needs are i would say a 05 subaru legacy gt would be perfect.

It doesnt have that highschool look like an evo, but still has 4 cylinder turbo, awd, good power and fun to drive.

It also has some luxury that you would find in a cadi, heated seats, thick leather, 6 cd changer, awesome sound system. The legacy even has heated windshield wipers, mirrors ect ect.

Its a very very nice car in the inside, and stylish on the outside.
I'm sick of Subarus. I used to work at OAKOS Automotive, all I would hear/see/touch were Subarus. I'll never buy one again.

Originally Posted by LI Pinky
CTS-V that year with over 100k miles, LET THE HEADACHES BEGIN! That my opinion!
Again, it's been 100% fully maintained. I'll pay to do the clutch, as my clutch is going to go out soon anyway (over 100k on the original). I'm sure the CTS-V clutch is just as pricey as the EVO clutch.

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
yeah maintenance and parts prolly more than the evo hands down.
Parts, yes. Maintenance, probably the same-ish.

Originally Posted by 2003lancerevo8
some of you guys are getting the wrong idea....

he is talking about an 04 CTSV - NOT THE NEW COUPE....

Its heavy, can't turn with a poop, your evo right now would put a hurt on that car as for terms of speed and handling...

As stated, I would look at a higher mileage BMW M3

or

with 103k or whatever you have on your evo - look at replacing a few things to help quiet it down..

how are the motor mounts? Shocks? What type of tires do you run?

There are a few things that can help quiet the car down but at the end of the day, you bought a street going race car....

race cars make noises, they make squeeks... my answer, get a AMS TBE with test pipe and you wont hear any of it....

with as expensive as caddy's get to fix, I wouldn't do it...

any car with 100k+ is going to make noises!!
I'm on snow tires, with original 104k mile springs/shocks with a blox front motor mount. The snow tires helped with the ride a lot. But the car overall is loud. If I took the turbo back off, the car would be too slow. I like having a DD with power to pass people

I would buy a E46 M3, but I want to finish my degree first without having students loans. So far so good

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
NO DON'T DO IT!!! Get a Porsche 996TT

Mikey
Hopefully within the next 2-3 years

I appreciate your guys's input. I'm sure if I didn't DD the evo, I would appreciate it more... To me, it's just a car.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BuBBasEVO
im sure the clutch job on that specific caddy is going to be more costly than the Evo clutch job. G/l on your decision.
The clutch job will probably be less on the caddy RWD trannies are soooo much easier to pull than a fwd or fwd based like the evo.

Personally i love Evos ill never get rid of mine but i can hear where you coming from. For your situation i say go for it and go have fun with that LS motor. i hate GM with a passion but love the LS series motors lol
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

well i guess my point is, if a car is just a car, why did you buy an evo?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

EVO < Caddy lol...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:01 AM

Hey Man Do it! do what makes YOU happy hell im all over the place with cars and drive the **** out of them then get rid of them normally within a year to year and half. i say explore you might love it!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Will this be your first luxury (or even semi-luxury) car? Reason I'm asking, is because my old car (350z) had the nice leather seats w/ heaters, cruise, built in nav, power seats, etc... never used any of it. Hated the added weight and really hated the power seats. That's the reason I have an Evo now... everything I need and nothing I don't.

That being said, I think you should do it and get it out of your system. If you don't like it, you'll be back in a few months.

Quick Reply: trade evo for cts-v