Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Recall Issue due to mods???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall Issue due to mods???

Hey guys im pretty new to the forum and recently purchased a fully built 2003 RR evo and brought it over to Canada. When I went to register the car here in Canada I was not able to because of a factory recall that was not performed. I went ahead and contacted a dealer in the US who told me the recall is just a warning label and that I would need to bring the car in to have this label 'installed'. I then asked him if the car being modified will make a difference and he said its possible. He then checked my VIN number in his computer and told me that my car has been flagged for any warranty work blah blah saying its gone through 2 engines 2 clutches and that its been raced. Well I dont know what to do now. I dont know what I just got myself into and I hope I didnt make a mistake purchasing this car. So basically my question is... Will I be able to get this recall done? I asked the dealer if they could send me the label and he said absolutely not and that he has to see the vehicle. What are my options now? The dealer was saying he would have to contact mitsubushi and so on. Anyone ever have this problem?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mods can't prevent a recall which is required under law. Recalls have nothing to do with warranty.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Recalls should have nothing to do with whether your car is flagged or not, they should not have any issues performing the recall as necessary. If this is just a "warning label" recall, I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Also, as long as your warranty is already up, it won't really make a difference if your car has been flagged or not as they wouldn't cover much for you anyways if anything.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed above......mods only prevent warranty but a recall is something that Mitsubishi is directly at fault due to anything not working properly that mitsubishi themselves installed by factory, thats when a recall is issued like for instance when toyota had an issue with their braking system in the new tacomas. They had to recall them to fix that issue.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Mods can't prevent a recall which is required under law. Recalls have nothing to do with warranty.
^ This, and does anyone know what recall the OP is referring to? What warning label?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The sticker on the car lists the wrong vehicular gross weight as I recall. You drive in and they put on a two inch square new orange sticker over the old. This takes about two seconds.

I'd call first before arriving just to make sure they have the sticker.

I had this "install" done and I am still getting postcards in the mail about it. So, in my case, they didn't even bother to check it off in the computer.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Ok sounds good. I was just worried because the guy at the dealership was being a dick kind of making it sound like they wont do it. I could care less about this recall but its preventing me from being able to register the car in Canada which is why I have to do it. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Technically mods can only void mitsubishi's warranty if they can prove that the aftermarket parts caused issues. As long as quality parts were used.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

^^ You should probably read the OP before posting.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 02:48 PM

this same thing happened to my friend,after hours of talking about it we went and got the recall done and also took 3 techs for a ride in a 612hp evo lol

after the ride they told us they wanted to put a warning lable on it for making them almost pee there pants
Old Jan 5, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry evo milk, but the topic turned into a warranty discussion too. Mabey you should read all the posts before you chime in. My apologies to everyone else for getting off topic.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Well its winter now and the evo is in pieces in my garage so im going to have to wait for spring time to do this.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
The sticker on the car lists the wrong vehicular gross weight as I recall. You drive in and they put on a two inch square new orange sticker over the old. This takes about two seconds.

I'd call first before arriving just to make sure they have the sticker.

I had this "install" done and I am still getting postcards in the mail about it. So, in my case, they didn't even bother to check it off in the computer.
What years does this apply to? I doubt Mitsu has my address on hand to send me one of these things if I am a candidate for this, not like I care either but just curious.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dizzumnut
this same thing happened to my friend,after hours of talking about it we went and got the recall done and also took 3 techs for a ride in a 612hp evo lol

after the ride they told us they wanted to put a warning lable on it for making them almost pee there pants
+1!