Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Yea.. Hose blew off on the 5 fwy.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea.. Hose blew off on the 5 fwy.

Well I feel like i'm part of a large club now. Thankfully it was the UICP to throttle body.

I could literally walk faster than the car was going after that and the sound was like a flat tire.

I pulled out of the fwy to a gas station found a guy with a phillips head tighterned her up, and the guy who lent me the screwdriver dissapeared (thankfully) I make my way onto the fwy then BAM it happens again. Once again I tightened it up and made sure I didnt go into boost till I got home.

Anyways my question is does anyone remember that place that sells the whole kit of worm gears (I searched) for like 30 bucks. I'd rather get that than go to napa and try and find all the pieces

Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i dont know the link but it does sound like the clamp has seen better days. for right now i would suggest either getting the t-bolt clamps or run to tractor supply and pick up one of their heavy duty worm clamps. thats pretty lucky to have the upper one come off instead of the lower especially if you have an undertray
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...8501471c7ebdad

here you go i have the same kit works great.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.burnsstainless.com/w991-40de-250-a.aspx
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverevo05
Well I feel like i'm part of a large club now. Thankfully it was the UICP to throttle body.

I could literally walk faster than the car was going after that and the sound was like a flat tire.

I pulled out of the fwy to a gas station found a guy with a phillips head tighterned her up, and the guy who lent me the screwdriver dissapeared (thankfully) I make my way onto the fwy then BAM it happens again. Once again I tightened it up and made sure I didnt go into boost till I got home.

Anyways my question is does anyone remember that place that sells the whole kit of worm gears (I searched) for like 30 bucks. I'd rather get that than go to napa and try and find all the pieces

funny thing, mine blew off today as well. I am also glad that mine was the uicp to the throttle body
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

A very permanent, but also very expensive solution

A good set of T-bolt clamps will do you just fine. Also, invest in a bottle of hair spray. As odd as it sounds, when you first spray it, it can act as a lubricant and let you slip the pipes on easier. After it drives though, it is very tacky and helps to keep the pipes in place. Good luck!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
thnks BLK evl I just bought it. Hopefully it wont blow anymore
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure the clamps are straight up and down. Nothing crooked. I know it sounds stupid but I made that mistake rushing myself the first time it happened to me.

Originally Posted by BenJ
http://www.burnsstainless.com/w991-40de-250-a.aspx
Dear god...

Last edited by Thore; Jan 7, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can always switch to a different set of pipes that have a thicker bead/flange for the hose to grip onto (or just weld a bead on yourself)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get 2.5" T-bolts from NAPA and you should be fine. Had this problem a lot before and every time it happened, I thought I blew the motor.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
Just get 2.5" T-bolts from NAPA and you should be fine. Had this problem a lot before and every time it happened, I thought I blew the motor.

haha happen to me too, thought i blew the motor/clutch. I never thought a stock intercooler pipe would blow off haha. Scared the hell outta me.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

that is why I always carry some basic tools in the car lol, I had it happen to me too, thought I blew something up, cause me and my brother in law were working on the car earlier that day.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLK_EvIL
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...8501471c7ebdad

here you go i have the same kit works great.
Same here, 24psi all day long.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I found it handy to loosely ziptie the clamp to the stock strut tower bar. So when It blows off you dont have to walk 500ft to find the clamp in the road
Old Jan 8, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

Those wiggins clamps are soo baller ive used them before on other applications. The only problem is the price