Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

TPS problem??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS problem??

So knowing that I was getting new throttle body shaft seals in and my sticking gas pedal in the cold I decided to take my throttle body off the car.

Since I would be cleaning the throttle body with chemicals that I didn't think would work well on plastic I removed the TPS. Now it was unknown to me that I had to mark off the original placement of the TPS.

Without replacing the shaft seals I put the car back together last night. A friend and myself kind of "eyeballed" the position of the TPS. If it's not the same exact position as it was before it definitely lines up on the markings pretty much dead on.

Tried to start the car...nothing. Seemed like a dead battery (car had been sitting for about a week). So I jumped the car. Immediately the car started running erratic. The revs would build up to about 1800, drop down to 1000 (where it normally idles when warm), then back up to 1500, then back down. My AFR's were all over the place!! Eventually as the car warmed up the idle returned to pretty much normal and my AFR's hung between 14.8 and 15.1 with the occasional 15.4 and 14.6 (it didn't do this before).

So I turned the car off. Went to start it again about 10 minutes later and same thing as before. Seemed like a dead battery. Wouldn't even attempt to turn over. Tried jumping another fully charged battery and that wouldn't do anything either. The only way to get the car to kick over is to jump it from an already running battery.

Could the TPS cause this kind of issue? Is it requiring THAT many CC amps now? If so is logging it the only way of getting the TPS back to the original position?

I know that I got a little overzealous with taking my car apart and learned my lesson for next time. Just hoping it won't cause me too much trouble getting this car running normal again.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would log the car while its not running and get a reading of where the TPS % is at. Mine before changing the shaft seals was like 13.333 and now its 12.9. You will want to get it pretty close to that range and try and have it at 100% with the pedal down. I really would not think that taking it off would have anything to do with the car not wanting to crank