Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Jolting steering wheel and engine pulsating HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jolting steering wheel and engine pulsating HELP!!

Ok let me start off by saying I have not searched yet as soon as I post this I will look all over. Here is the story

I was driving home and decided to boost a little. It is freezing out, but I thought my engine was warm enough (drove 3 or 4 miles and temp gauge was at normal spot). I do a pull from 2nd gear and when I shift into 3rd the drivetrain took it kind of hard from a fast shift which I have done before so I thought nothing of it. Then my steering wheel starts jolting a little and i hear a thumping. I assume flat tire and pull over. No flat tire so I drive in a circle and its still happening. I look under the car see nothing, check oil levels and they are fine. There was some liquid, but I assumed it was water from the snow I smelled it and no scent. I decide to drive home it was only 1/2 a mile and I notice the engine pulsated slightly with the wheel jolting.

The car was drivable although it didn't sound good, but the steering was not affected.

PLEASE HELP
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mullski
Ok let me start off by saying I have not searched yet as soon as I post this I will look all over. Here is the story

I was driving home and decided to boost a little. It is freezing out, but I thought my engine was warm enough (drove 3 or 4 miles and temp gauge was at normal spot). I do a pull from 2nd gear and when I shift into 3rd the drivetrain took it kind of hard from a fast shift which I have done before so I thought nothing of it. Then my steering wheel starts jolting a little and i hear a thumping. I assume flat tire and pull over. No flat tire so I drive in a circle and its still happening. I look under the car see nothing, check oil levels and they are fine. There was some liquid, but I assumed it was water from the snow I smelled it and no scent. I decide to drive home it was only 1/2 a mile and I notice the engine pulsated slightly with the wheel jolting.

The car was drivable although it didn't sound good, but the steering was not affected.

PLEASE HELP
posibly a broke motor mount or trans mount check those would be my bet
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:52 AM

Check your rims for packed snow. Did it snow recently? Happens up here all the time.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like you popped a vaccum line, check the one under the throttle body
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:24 AM

i agree with the broken motor mount, and in sparta we have not had much snow in the past day or so it is probably not snow in his rims
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Problem fixed somehow my lug nuts got loose on the front right tire. I have no idea how this happened maybe the wheel was frozen to the hub and the shifting ended up breaking it loose. All I know is I am thankful that the wheel didnt fall off while driving and that it was an easy fix. I feel like an idiot for driving with loose lug nuts, but I have no idea how they got loose.

Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good catch. This weather is really killing my evo right now and we have another 10 inch storm coming