Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Never buying another Mitsubishi Car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never buying another Mitsubishi Car

A little over a month ago my 2006 Evo IX RS burned down...**** happens.

I bought my car from Norco Mitsubishi in Dec 08. When I bought my car I bought gap insurance and rolled it into the loan.

It's in all the dealer paperwork and I even have a copy of the gap insurance contract.

My insurance in paying a total of $19K and change and I owe a little over 20K.

So I call the gap insurance company (Gap 1) to start a claim and they tell me that they can't find my info.

(Strange considering I have the Gap 1 contract right in front of me) So I fax them a copy.

They call me back and said that Norco Mitsubishi never sent them the paperwork or payment for the gap insurance so they are not going to honor the contact.

I argue with them because I don't understand how I could have a Gap 1 contract and just because the dealer didn't turn in their paper I'm ***-ed out. (I paid for this in the loan)

So I go to call Norco Mitsubishi and it turns out they went out of business in June of 2009. (6 months after selling me my car)
I call Mitsubishi Corp to see what they could do as this was a Mitsubishi dealer and not a sand lot dealer.

They told me that their dealers are franchised so they can't do anything. WTF!!!

They give me the Law offices phone number that is handling Norco Mitsubishi's bankruptcy case and said to give them a call. This law office tells me to call another office then that office tells me to call an attorney that represents Mitsubishi. (Confusing huh)

I'm not talking a lot of money here (a little over $800) but the fact of the mater is that I bought gap insurance from what was a Mitsubishi Dealer.

This was the 3rd Evo I bought in a row and was considering buying a X but now I'm never buying another Mitsubishi.

So much for taking care of their customers...

Last edited by Ryu8200; Jan 10, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

see if you can grab a couple parts off the car to sell...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:41 PM

I called the California Department of Insurance and they said that Norco Mitsubishi's license to sell insurance (like the gap insurance I bought) expired on June 2008 (6 Months prior to selling me my car) so weren't even able to sell this.

So if you bought a car from Norco Mitsubishi from June 2008-June 2009 and think you bought gap insurance guess what....you didn't
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they went out of business. what do you expect?

i dont see why that would make you never buy another mitsubishi car.

you just had bad luck with that particular dealership.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can understand your feeling on the situation, I've been screwed over by a dealership before as well, I just happened to work for them at the time

It isn't mitsu's responsability to pick up the tab, no way no how. You just got played by a bunch of guys that knew they were going out of bussiness and that sucks.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 05VIII
they went out of business. what do you expect?

i dont see why that would make you never buy another mitsubishi car.

you just had bad luck with that particular dealership.
Because Mitsubishi Corp is not standing behind what was one of their dealers.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ryu8200
Because Mitsubishi Corp is not standing behind what was one of their dealers.
No other car company would either. It's not their liability.

If it makes you feel any better I bought a bolt from a dealer in Sierra Vista. They said it would be in 2 days later. 2 days later I went to the dealership and they were shut down and everyone was gone haha. They took my 10 bucks.

Bottom line, get in on the bankruptcy and hope you get your money back (you won't) or chalk it up as a loss.

Last edited by sgtpruitt; Jan 10, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by milford

Thanks lol
Old Jan 10, 2011, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ryu8200
I called the California Department of Insurance and they said that Norco Mitsubishi's license to sell insurance (like the gap insurance I bought) expired on June 2008 (6 Months prior to selling me my car) so weren't even able to sell this.

So if you bought a car from Norco Mitsubishi from June 2008-June 2009 and think you bought gap insurance guess what....you didn't
dang slimey *****!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Th GAP insurance is where you wasted your money. lol. That **** is a complete joke!!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Th GAP insurance is where you wasted your money. lol. That **** is a complete joke!!

if you put money down on a car and its not brand new i would agree, but if you finance a new car with 0 down GAP is a necessity and i guarantee i could find you more people than you'd realize who have gotten screwed over because they did not have gap

as far as being mad at mitsubishi there really is nothing they can do, technically you bought a used car which would have nothing to do with them, you also bought aftermarket warranty/insurance plans which have nothing to do with them
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by saxon
if you put money down on a car and its not brand new i would agree, but if you finance a new car with 0 down GAP is a necessity and i guarantee i could find you more people than you'd realize who have gotten screwed over because they did not have gap

as far as being mad at mitsubishi there really is nothing they can do, technically you bought a used car which would have nothing to do with them, you also bought aftermarket warranty/insurance plans which have nothing to do with them
+1 I think the guy who sold you the insurance pocketed the money, and you were probably one of many victims. Next time you want gap insurance, get it through the company who actually insures your vehicles, and your next move should be going out and buying that X.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:09 PM

Pretty nasty situation...I'd be furious too, but I don't really think you can blame Mitsubishi Corporate unfortunately.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Not true. I had GAP coverage on my wife's jeep which we wrecked after 4months of ownership. They covered over 6k and gave us a 1k for down payment towards a replacement vehicle as long as we bought it from the same dealership.

I usually ask for the GAP coverage now

Quick Reply: Never buying another Mitsubishi Car