Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

After 70,000 miles on a built engine..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 70,000 miles on a built engine..

and 5yrs of abuse on 93 octane 32psi....

Friday night (1/7/11) prior to track day in Valdosta while doing some late night tuning car had issue with radiator blowing out @ 110+mph mid 4th gear pull... Pulled over popped the hood and coolant everywhere and even fire on the manifold from the coolant catching fire.. who knew it could burn? Blew that out like a damn trick candle 3 or 4 times and looked over it.. couldn't find the leak. Drove 5 miles to Ga Boi repair shop. Car never over heated. Swapped radiators with a donor car(thanks Itzwolf) and pressure in the coolant system.. what follows... OHHHH DAHHH HORRRRAAAAHHHHH..

OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

Note the head gasket is warped just after taking head

#4 on the head

Bottom of head

Outer layer of the gasket was ok.. inside layers.. ya...not so much

The good news: Bottom end is perfectly fine.. piston heads are perfect like the day they were put in..cylinder walls perfect
The bad: valves have alittle movment in them so guides might be going..
Head left today for home at Buschurs for the good old once over and see what needs to be addressed and pressure tested

Thanks to SupraStar, Itzwolf and Daniel (suprastar neighbor)
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, 70,000 miles is damn good. Hard to complain about that one!

Looks like you may have been pushing it a bit much, maybe too lean, maybe a bit too much timing. Nothing really burnt up so you are probably correct on the bottom end not being hurt. I'd back the tune off just a tad. What were the head studs torqued to?

Thanks for your support!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Well, 70,000 miles is damn good. Hard to complain about that one!

Looks like you may have been pushing it a bit much, maybe too lean, maybe a bit too much timing. Nothing really burnt up so you are probably correct on the bottom end not being hurt. I'd back the tune off just a tad. What were the head studs torqued to?

Thanks for your support!
David, I was actually working when it was put together 5 yrs ago but it was tq'd to the requirements I believe you wanted them too. The tune hadn't been touched in over 4 yrs and we were finally freshening it up.
Itzwolf can respond more in regards since he's my tuner and helped on the build due to my hectic work schedule at the time.
Hopefully when you guys get it it won't be too much to take care of. And thank you for all you guys have done for me in the past to say the least!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not bad at all!

-Em
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Well it looks like you got your money's worth and you still got a lot left to enjoy. What power level is that? I'm guessing around 600HP since it's a 37R and 32PSI.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by olmoscd
Well it looks like you got your money's worth and you still got a lot left to enjoy. What power level is that? I'm guessing around 600HP since it's a 37R and 32PSI.
last Dyno plot via virtual dyno threw out 640 something I believe
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the car I have mentioned several times one EvoM and HighBoost as proof of how well you build an engine David. It has amazed me how well it has run and taken a beating for so many years and miles. Jon has had to do nothing but oil and plug changes the entire time. Occasionally I'd do some data logging and ensure the car looked good and AFR's were in check.

The tune actually hasn't been touched in right about 2 years except for some TPS sensor adjustments due to a sensor failure and some startup tweaks probably about a year ago. With that I'd say the tune was spot on and I am wondering if either it was a freak accident or possibly something else may have caused the issue, but let’s hope not. One of the plugs pre tuning update attempt looked a little ugly but it was in the car for a while as well.

I did recommend staying at the 30psi level originally and Jon pushed that a smidge hence the 32psi. I always have tuned to ensure if the car hits higher load areas it’s still generally safe and it's a boost compensated map so fueling would be ok. Obviously with 5 years of run time it was good though.

The head studs... sheesh that was a long time ago but I am dead positive we checked with you David during the assembly. They should be at least in the 90ft-lbs range if not a near even 100ft-lbs.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

70k? Yeah you got your money's worth.. 30psi on 37r the whole time??

What is BR motor record for milege??
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Ok understood. Do some fresh studs when you guys put it back together. Get with me in a PM for torque specs. They may have just needed to be retorqued after all those miles!

I have engines outnthere with over 100k on them. We just had a DSM engine we built run two 24 hour races with nothing done in between. We are running that one until it blows!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats great it lasted that long
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:04 PM

this is amazing that that motor had that much power for that many miles. i'm just hitting 40k on my motor but if i ever need a motor i'm going with a buscher motor for sure!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Ok understood. Do some fresh studs when you guys put it back together. Get with me in a PM for torque specs. They may have just needed to be retorqued after all those miles!

I have engines outnthere with over 100k on them. We just had a DSM engine we built run two 24 hour races with nothing done in between. We are running that one until it blows!

Wow..

100k on a built engine running high boost is unheard of..

too bad my BR2.0 has to go soon..

good job as always BR
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:03 PM

Good to see your setup lasted that long with minimal damage.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:04 PM

Definitely a good investment! Talk about take some good abuse! LOL!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Id say with 70k miles and 5 years of abuse you definitely got your moneys worth

Quick Reply: After 70,000 miles on a built engine..