Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone has an idea how to fix a leaking headlight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone has an idea how to fix a leaking headlight?

I got serious condensation problem on my passenger side headlight, it happens everytime it rains or snow, I have no idea where is the leaking spot since I got the car came with the blackout headlight, I tried many times reseal it from the upper part, it would work for the first time, its been good for 2 months and then the problem came back again, do you guys think use the new seal to cover the old ones would solve this problem? I was trying to find a more permanent solution for this, I know the way to bake it take it apart and reseal it, but I just don't think I have the skill and time to do it since I am a full time student and living in an apartment with no garage, is it possible to have some shops to do it? I also tried to contact evodave since the previous owner said the blackout job was done by him but it seems hes been very busy so I didn't get the reply ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD HELP, THANKS!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with mine but i ended up taking the headlight apart because i was going to black them out any ways, when i pulled it apart i found a small crack in the corner of the lens so i just used the same clear silicone for resealing the headlight to kind of fill in the crack. Works so far did it about 3 months ago and it hasnt fogged up since. Its really not that difficult to bake the headlight, take it apart, fix the leak, and then re seal it.

This was just my experience with it, hope it helps some...
Old Jan 12, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by adamgetem
I had the same problem with mine but i ended up taking the headlight apart because i was going to black them out any ways, when i pulled it apart i found a small crack in the corner of the lens so i just used the same clear silicone for resealing the headlight to kind of fill in the crack. Works so far did it about 3 months ago and it hasnt fogged up since. Its really not that difficult to bake the headlight, take it apart, fix the leak, and then re seal it.

This was just my experience with it, hope it helps some...
Thank you so much man, if I have a garage I would have a try but I just cant do it outside especially during the winter days
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could try taking the whole headlight out and resealing it inside. Its not bad to get the light out. Its going to be hard finding the leak without taking it apart
Old Jan 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Take it apart. Clean it up really good and just reseal it. I did it to mine and it worked. Gl
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Else, you can contact an expert like EvoDave - do he still do the headlight mods?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
Else, you can contact an expert like EvoDave - do he still do the headlight mods?
Yes I believe my headlight was done by him as the previous owner said, I pmed so many times but didn't get any answer, it seems hes always being busy
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just buy a new one, and DONT modify it or do any gay *** blacked out rice crap, thats why its leaking in the first place. The whole smoked and blacked out headlight/taillight thing is so freaking stupid I can't stand it. Seems like even minivans are "blacked out" now. Don't rice your evo's people!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Evodave has a website. Lightmods.net I believe