Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Akuma fabricated battery tray/holder

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Akuma fabricated battery tray/holder

We had a customer come to the shop in need of custom intercooler piping and it was much easier to run the piping straight through, instead of around a big battery. We didn't have time or access to an aftermarket battery tray in the time period we needed to pump this car out, so we turned to what we do best and that's improvise. We decided to fab one up from scratch so I documented the process to show the type of work we do. Enjoy!

We're sending it out for powdercoating to match the rest of the customers parts, and it should be ready to go!

Dimitri@Akuma
Marketing/sales executive

Last edited by AkumaMotorsport; Jan 12, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

looks good. i'm in the market for a setup like this. Not sure how much volume you would get with the competition levels currently out there (ETS, Nisei, and others).
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

This was just a one-off piece for the customer. I am not planning on putting them out for retail sales. We do, however, have an EVO X pipe/intake kit on the way.

Thx!

John
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tray looks good...What Braille battery is that? I have been looking at their 11.5 lb battery...
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Tray looks good...What Braille battery is that? I have been looking at their 11.5 lb battery...
It's the Braille model B2317.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRL-B2317

It's a great battery!

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:01 PM

Hey, thats cool work you did. I'm into autocrossing and many time we need something thats, uh..unavailable. Mind if we keep you in mind??
Old Jan 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

No, we'd be glad to help you out! We're great when it comes to one-off stuff and making things work. Keep us in mind for anything you may need, we'll be here for a long time.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im sorry but that thing looks horrible. im sure it does the job, but its just disgusting looking. huge weld down the middle, crooked edges. looks like something a high school kid would make in shop class. not trying to hate on it, just calling it how i see it
Old Jan 31, 2011, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

I am sorry that you feel that way, however as stated in the original post these are unifinished pics of the battery tray. At the point of the pictures it was not sanded and was still in it's raw form. Since then it has been sent to powdercoat for sanding, bead blasting, and a fresh two-stage candy powdercoat. I will post the picture of that once it arrives back. In the mean time, check out our other threads with custom fab work. I am sure you will not be dissapointed.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:12 AM

I just picked up a Braille battery B129 from Tire Rack it weighs 9#, works great.

About the tray you really need a sheet metal brake, its silly to weld on the flanges. Brakes are cheap, and if your handy you can make one out 2x2x1/4 angle and caddy fasteners from the electricians on the job site. Some times you got to t.c.b. Thanks for posting though, gives me ideas.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
im sorry but that thing looks horrible. im sure it does the job, but its just disgusting looking. huge weld down the middle, crooked edges. looks like something a high school kid would make in shop class. not trying to hate on it, just calling it how i see it
Fair enough. You are right, the finish work was not done for this piece, and I should have put up a pic with that as well. This thread was intended to show some of the different things that can be done on a one off basis. I am happy to show you our final pipe kits, turbo kits, etc.

I will get some pics of the car when it is done as well. This will be our other Voltex project car.

Thx!

John
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Doesn't look to bad, I'm going to guess it looks better powder coated. Good job none the less.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Or you coulda just got this nice one....http://www.fid-turbo.com/html/lancer...ery-holder.htm

Not bad for a one-off
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I must say if it were made by a diy person it would not be bad.But a shop made it and it looks terrible.powder coating just covers up bad welds.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:40 AM

Always good to see companies that still offer one off products. Gl guys.

Quick Reply: Akuma fabricated battery tray/holder