Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting some wierd noise and shaking from the back end

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting some wierd noise and shaking from the back end

I posted this over in the drivetrain section earlier (since I figure it may be a drivetrain issue that is starting to emerge) but perhaps this was the better place to post

Just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I did do a little
searching but well 'rear end shudder' and 'rear end shake' did not really give me much to go on.

Anyway, this has happened 2 times in the last couple of days. I go to step on the gas and I don't get much of anything (feels like turbo lag, and it may have been at the time, I don't recall the rpm's I was at). Well then it feels like the turbo kicks in and the rear end feels like it is losing traction and jumping. Inside the cabin there is a definite sensation of a jumping shake and a thumping noise. (Somewhat feels like launching the car)

Now, I don't know if I have just done something wrong to cause it but I've never really felt that kind of shaking from the rear except when launching at auto-x's.

Some background, the car doesn't have a ton of power mods, basically intake, exhaust, reflash. It does have an ACT clutch which I incorrectly purchased and got a solid unspring 4 puc and that has been in for the last 2 years. In those 2 years I've probably put in 10k miles, and around 24 auto-x events with around 6 runs each so I'd say about 140 2-step launches (I am letting out the clutch slowly till it engages and the car starts to roll then releasing quickly to launch, not just dumping it).

So my question is this: Is it just something that I did wrong the last day or two to get my car to do this, or is it signs of something in the drivetrain nearing the end of its life, or something completely different? Any help (or links to a post that someone else made) would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone have any ideas? Right way to point me? Kind of hoping it was just something odd that happened and not signs of a couple hundred or thousand dollars of fix coming my way.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more like loose subframe or busted shaft in tranny
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you driving in extremely cold temperatures? How long are you letting your Evo warm up before driving? Sometimes the suspension in the rear is very clunky if driving in the cold due to the grease/fluids being cold and everything is stiff. At that point you will hear weird noises in the back trunk almost as if someone is tossing around your spare tire.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

After looking into it a bit more I'm really leaning towards blaming the colder weather we have been having here these last couple of days. I took the car out today and its a bit warmer (50's) and I couldn't make it do what it had in the past. I always warm up the car a bit, usually till the RPM's drop back down to around 1k at idle and the heater begins to work. Thankfully we don't have many days below 30 here.

I was also realizing that my tires are probably pretty worn, and with the cold weather, worn (but still good) summer tires with around 80 AX runs on them, and my first winter with my super stiff rear end its probably just loss of traction when the turbo kicks in if I don't feather the throttle. At least I'm just hoping its that.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vortico
After looking into it a bit more I'm really leaning towards blaming the colder weather we have been having here these last couple of days. I took the car out today and its a bit warmer (50's) and I couldn't make it do what it had in the past. I always warm up the car a bit, usually till the RPM's drop back down to around 1k at idle and the heater begins to work. Thankfully we don't have many days below 30 here.

I was also realizing that my tires are probably pretty worn, and with the cold weather, worn (but still good) summer tires with around 80 AX runs on them, and my first winter with my super stiff rear end its probably just loss of traction when the turbo kicks in if I don't feather the throttle. At least I'm just hoping its that.

I had a similar issue with clunking sounds when I parked outdoors for a week. It went away as soon as I began to park my Evo indoors again. Cold weather makes a lot of strange noises and rattling sounds that we don't usually hear during the warm weather. Just the way Evos and Mitsus are I guess, just keep an eye on your suspension and struts if the noise comes back.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah defiantly going to do that. Thankfully so far I guess it was just me jumping the gun in cold weather heh.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vortico
Yeah defiantly going to do that. Thankfully so far I guess it was just me jumping the gun in cold weather heh.
I freaked out too once I heard the sounds in the cold weather. I thought I blew a shock/strut or something haha. Thankfully it wasn't anything at all.

Good luck with it and try and park her indoors when it's cold.