Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In car camera mount?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In car camera mount?

I searched for awhile with no luck, but does anyone have any recommendations for a suction mount in car cam mount? I purchased a Kodak PlaySport and most the websites that show you how to build them for next to nothing, realized with our cars, there's no headseat adjustments, so had to cancel on that. There are millions of suction cup mounts, but one that will remain stable. Any suggestions are appreciated. This is the one I'm looking at now:
http://www.amazon.com/Panavise-809-C...pr_product_top
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I just ordered the Panavise 809. And seems to be at my door right now I can post pics tonight of it.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go Pro is the only way to go, i use one on my motorcycle for track days doing well over 120 mph and it remains very stable and shoots in HD
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
having one in the car allows you to see yourself driving; can help with noticing back habits you might have that you don't notice while you're driving.

I have a GoPro HD so I have the suction mount that came with that. The Panavise looks a lot like the GoPro's suction mount, except for the end where you twist the camera in.

SmikeEvo fab'ed some homemade mount that bolt to the stock seats and allow you to have the camera in-between the seats. I made one like his after seeing his result, it works very well.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...mount-how.html

Result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJMoYlauJI

Last edited by Raptord; Jan 13, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

but if your wanting to do some test runs and mount one on the outside of your car get the one off ebay for 8 dollars.(GHETTO GO PRO) they work great here is a video my buddy posted up on his test run with onehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXZPYaDij-E
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

and one with a nikon camera.... big difference in quality for the price hehe i go through first btw http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...nbowCurve5.mp4
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nemo25
Might be a silly question but what is a purpose of having one in the car? I guess its like having a helmet cam on a motorcycle?
AX and HPDE video.

Originally Posted by evonky
Go Pro is the only way to go, i use one on my motorcycle for track days doing well over 120 mph and it remains very stable and shoots in HD
And GP is a good bit more expensive. If you have a good camera, just need a mount for it.

Originally Posted by Raptord
I and a few others have fab'ed up some homemade mounts that bolt to the stock seats and allow you to have the camera in-between the seats.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...mount-how.html
That link looks familiar.

Last edited by Smike; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for those links, I never thought about just bolting it through the holes like that. I want something where I can just throw it on the window and get a full view. SmikeEvo, if you don't mind I'd like to check out the pics once you get it installed. If the outcome is stable I'll go ahead and purchase it now. The last snowfall my wife recorded the play time, but didn't come out good at all. Thanks again, I'm pumped about trying this.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Will do soon as I get off work here in a bit.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome $25 spent. Nice weight to it. Fit/finish is great. Even the mount to camera has a nice pad under it.

Once on the car it is solid.

Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My apologies Smike, I should have worded my post differently to give you the original credit. I was going to link directly to my post in that thread, but I ended up just linking the thread instead. I'll edit my post tonight to properly credit you.

Last edited by Raptord; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
My apologies Smike, I should have worded my post differently to give you the original credit. I was going to link directly to my post in that thread, but I ended up just linking the thread instead. I'll edit my post tonight to properly credit you.
Oh, no apologies needed! Its awesome to see it still being used!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evonky
I have tried many cameras and mounts including Fat Gecko and many others and I have found nothing other than GoPro that doesn't create butt loads of vibration.

Here is a video of a Fat Gecko with a Canon HF20 HD video camera with full vibration control turned on...as you can see it is crappy and it is the same idea as the others posted here only it has 2 suction cups. Maybe it is the cameras I am using or the mount points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFs5xOEBIG0

Last edited by SiliconTek; Jan 13, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the pics, I think I'll go ahead and get that one. It looks sturdy enough for what I'm doing. The GoPro looks nice, but has a price tag to match. If you record anything on it, I'd love to see the outcome. For 25 bucks, you can't really go wrong unless it bounces all over the place. I'm sure in time it'll do that, but I can fork over another 25 for a new one.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snafufx
Thanks for the pics, I think I'll go ahead and get that one. It looks sturdy enough for what I'm doing. The GoPro looks nice, but has a price tag to match. If you record anything on it, I'd love to see the outcome. For 25 bucks, you can't really go wrong unless it bounces all over the place. I'm sure in time it'll do that, but I can fork over another 25 for a new one.

Ill take a short video Saturday morning on my way to coffee to test it out and post it up here.

Quick Reply: In car camera mount?