Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Battery Relocation to trunk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Relocation to trunk

So planning on relocating a battery to my trunk. Thinking on purchasing the Taylor kit and a optima red top but wanted to see what other people recommend for kits and batteries. So let me know what you guys recommend. Also what do you guys say is better, running it under the car or through the interior?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

up!!! deka / powertec...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Taylor kit and love it. I ran the wire through the hole in the firewall by the passenger fender and tucked it under the carpet all the way to the trunk. I mounted the battery on the driver side of the car. Had it for a couple months now with no issues, and no passengers have noticed the wire.

Last edited by Jrah2987; Jan 14, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ did the same.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
I went with a Competition Engineering battery mount and a Braile carbon-fibre wrapped 21 pound battery that has more Cold Cranking Amps, etc. than a stock, full-sized battery. I live in the cold East Coast and she starts right-up everytime, NO issues at all, even after the car sits for three days!

(I went out by the driver's side fender and tucked everything in by the threshold of the interior all the way to driver's side trunk and came out with a small hole in that removable cover which you can BARELY even see! That is really the only place I could go because I have the WORKS four point trunk cage and I didn't want to go to the other side by the windshield washer fluid and some day spill fluid on the battery...)

Last edited by NJ9MR; Jan 14, 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:14 AM

I think thru the interior but like previous post stated run it under the carpet by the side of the door
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im runnin the same setup ur lookin at im runnin a one group size bigger optima red top and a taylor relocation kit to the trunk, i routed mine through driver side whole and routed under carpet through back seat rests and mounted on drivers side in trunk next to where washer fluid bottle is, now reason i went one step bigger group size was due to the system i had in the trunk plus u gotta remember the kit comes with either 4 or 2 gauge wiring which when your running from back of vehicle to front youll lose some electricity through the small gauge wiring.. personal recommendation to cover your a$$, the wiring running from front to back, wrap in plastic conduit to make sure itll never short out, the hotside connector under hood source out one of those terminal covers like you see on some of the chevys for jump starting, and as for grounding the negative side under hood, well theres a stud right under where your stock battery was that you can get a terminal n tighten it down there.
good luck report any issues
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

So what's the average amount of time it takes to install to run it through the interior? You guys think the group 35 is alright for ssl evo's and gauges? Not to sure if i should go up in group size or not yet.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty east to run the lead up under the door sills, that is a five minute job, fishing the lead through the door grommet is two hours of hell.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to do mine, all i did was use 2 gauge wire from battery jumper cables (just cut the clamps off the ends). bought a ground wire, battery terminal clamps and a tray at an auto parts store. ran the line under the drivers side door sills and into the engine bay through the fender.....

very easy job. took me about 45 min to do. and only cost me about 15 bucks in parts. no need to spend 160 bucks on a kit to do this
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:52 PM

Did mine last week, did it pretty much like everyone else. I went through driver side fender under splash guard, then through the grommet under there into interior. Went under door sills and carpet into trunk.

I used the summit racing kit and optima red top, so far so good in MN weather.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i ran mine under the car... using the fuel and brake line brackets as holders... then up next to the evap system into the quarter... its crossed my mind on changin it to inside the car... but no issues so far... also i have a billet optima tray with a yellow top sitting in the back drivers corner... which is something i really recommend... its the lightest corner of the car by 60 lbs if i'm not mistaken if you corner weight it. plus it keeps it safe out of the way and easy to access incase you need a jump or need to give one. granted if you get rear ended its ****ed... but thats the least of my worries if i get rear ended
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just about to buy some 0 gauge wire to do this, but is 2 or 4 ok, no issues? if so ive got plenty from one of my old system setups from my last car
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i am using 4 gauge power and ground and then for the wire to the fuse box i ran 8 gauge.. but stuck to the 2 wire setup like stock... you should really run a 4gauge single wire... i started with a single high density 8gauge first and it hesitates to turn and wont start some times... so i put it back to the 2 wire.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Braille FTW!

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation to trunk