Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Compustar 2-way pager alarm INSTALL gone bad

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:16 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tama_mog
Hi...I recently bought an evo, and have been reading these forums for the past 3-4 months. Great info overall, thanks to all that make positive contributions. But I figure I'd have to reply to this post because it concerns my own problems as well =X My friend that works in a car audio/security shop is "Trying" to install my compustar 2wss-as. Everything seems to be ok except the turbo timer. I was just curious, is auto start needed to make the turbo mode activated? Or is there some kind of programming necessary to activate the feature by authorized dealers. And for the autostart system....where would you get that box needed to carry the spare key to activate it? Thanks in advance for all replies....anything will help =X

P.S. Sorry admins, I know this belongs in audio/security, but I think more people read the general forums. =X
As far as I'm aware, the box is nothing special. I have been told you can simply duct tape a spare key near the ignition switch and it will work just fine. I know a few people who just cut the end off and had that mounted behind the dash. Remember though, with a PATS system you need 2 keys in order to make a 3rd, unless you want to splash out lots of money, so don't go destroying your 2nd key in case you lose the 1st one .
Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:18 PM

I have a Compustar sitting in the box still, glad to hear all this so I can wait to make sure I find someone who seriously knows what there doing to put it in, I do hope this post stays open so we can hear everyones news on how its going for you who are putting it in and are having problems.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't even know that, so the electronic key code is transmitted by radio frequency? -_- that's really weird.....but I know nothin about that stuff I guess heh. I got the compustar because I hear good things about it from people that have it installed properly, but according to my friend, he says it's quite complicated to install compared to the DEI ones like viper xv791 and all its other clones. Hopefully, we can get someone who knows how to install these alarms properly to answer our questions. =)
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

i just remembered..for the bypass module (box to hold spare key), my installer used the 555u DEI one. maybe this is the problem if its incompatible but i doubt it. is the clutch really that complicated compared to others? alarm installer kept mentioning two sensors vs the normal one.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48611

found the above link in ebay....hopefully my friend can figure this thing out, but from this guy's description, seems to be very complicated indeed....if I can't get help, guess I might give this guy a try =X
Old Dec 9, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hey d3wu, where did you go to get your alarm installed? And for everyone else in California, any recommendations as to where to get the Compustar alarm installed? Close to LA? Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

THe people who put in my alarm sounded confident on the ability to install the remote start, but however said they cant actually DO it, but rather tell me how to do it step by step. (Legal thing)

Oh well (Im wonderrin......should i get the remote start put in??? The people who have it: you use it? whats ur comments)

-J
Old Dec 9, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Actually....the compustar alarm is built for manual transmissions as well....I know there is a switch on the brain for 5 speed or automatic etc.....also, b4 you autostart your car, you need to put the car into reservation mode. This includes setting the option on ur remote b4 you leave your car and having the parking brakes up as well as having your car in neutral. This way, it elminates the "car rolling down the street because you accidently auto started" stories you hear. Now if I can only get this thing working -_-
Old Dec 9, 2003, 04:01 PM

The box that you need to use is called the 555U. I have installed remote start on my evo and it works fine. Bypassing the clutch was a big pain in the ***, but i was able to get threw it. I will see if i can find the wiring diagram that i used.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

I got the clifford matrix III. Badass alarm. Good up to a 1/4mile or something like that. Yea, you need a clutch bypass module inorder to do remote start on any standard cars. Cost me 600usd, which is a not a very good deal. Nonetheless, it works and I use it almost all the time. I rarely started my engine the conventional. Anyways, I should have invested that money in an engine mod then a $600 alarm system. Peace...
Old Dec 9, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

thanks speedfactor - yeah it looked like it was a big pain. i sat there all day watching them turn my car on and off testing it. also since he was partially sitting on my seat all day installing, my cushion was flimsly for the left thigh bolstering part of the seat

cleeEvo - i got mine installed at New Wave Sound - i dont recommend the place till they get the remote starter to work. i guess im the guinea pig

oh yeah they threw in the 555u bypass module for free for mine. i guess lookin at it again these guys are pretty cool or at least not that shady, but i was just disappointed they couldn't get the remote start to work. hopefully that'll change friday

Last edited by d3wu; Dec 9, 2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Hey d3wu;
If you can, can u post after friday on the results of ur alarm installation? Mainly if remote start works fine with the 555u with the compustar and if additional programming is needed for the turbo mode to work.....and also if you can, ask them if you need to have remote start installed to use timer mode =*) Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

when you stated that you had an authorized dealer install it were you referring to a Mitsubishi Dealer? I bought the Viper Pager alarm with remote start and everything $600, and they told me that they will not install these remotes on Lancers, Evolutions, or most other Mitsubishi vehicles because our ECU's can not handle it. I already had an ECU replaced by my dealer and when they told me this I was forced to return my new alarm to avoid further problems with my ECU and because they told me it will not be covered under warranty with a remote start on the car.
Don't know if this is your problem, or if my dealer was just bullsh*tting me, but Good Luck and let us know how you make out!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

What I want to know is:

How effective is this alarm system if you have to leave a spare key inside the car?

Seems to me like I could just smash a window, get the spare key out of the box, start the car, and drive away.

Is there another variable that would make it more difficult to steal the car? It just seems too easy...

Cabo
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

i guess the thief would have to see and observe that i do have a remote starter. he'd also have to know that it has an immobilizer i had to override by stashing a key. and then afterwards, try to find where i did hide the key after smashing my window while the alarm is screaming. or i guess he could take his time if he cut the battery wire

if i was a thief, might as well just rent a tow truck and take the car away - faster and more efficient. either way, as everyone said, if they want it that badly they'll take it. i recommend gps for you if you that paranoid. www.trackmenow.com
for me, the remote starter, pager features of the alarm are just another toy which adds convenience and security.

i wonder what would happen if someone installed a keystroke program on your computer and stole your password for the trackmenow.com intertrak gps service. he'd be starting up your car and shutting it down randomly. also people have asked whether they report your speed to the police, etc. i guess thats more paranoia than a remote starter after all

ill update tomorrow what happens. as far as voiding my warranty, im not really sure. lets hope not. if it does, i guess ive been given the green light for some heavy modding. i hear its dealer based too, so my first thought would be to try another dealer. or you could just call up other dealer's service departments and discuss a hypothetical mod and not mention your name. then just wait for what type of reaction you get.

oh for the authorized dealer, i went to www.compustar.org (company website of my alarm) and then asked for authorized installers so i could keep my limited warranty with compustar. they'll email you a list back

Last edited by d3wu; Dec 11, 2003 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Compustar 2-way pager alarm INSTALL gone bad