Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"No Start" Conditions...any you can think of.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ign Fuse?
Cam sensor?
Crank Sensor?
Fuel Pump?
FPR?
IAT Sensor?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by 05VIII
what video?

I'm sorry, thought I posted it....

The battery was dead and I was using my other car to jump start it so it turns over slow but when charged it turns over at the "normal speed"
if you have spark and fuel then i dont see a reason for it to not turn over unless you have no compression
Originally Posted by Descente36
Ign Fuse?
Cam sensor?
Crank Sensor?
Fuel Pump?
FPR?
IAT Sensor?
Cam Sensor - Belive thats the one going right into the valve cover towards the (passenger side; JDM). Seemed okay, Idk if I did a voltage check
Crank Sensor - Checked out the other day, removed the bottom cover, wasn't chewed up or anything like it crank walked. Checked voltage, it would jump from 0 to 5v on start up attempts.
Fuel Pump - Does kick on when your attempting to start the car, can't hear it kick on at all when you just turn the key over.
IAT Sensor - Didn't check the voltage to it.
FPR - Only thing I did was sqeeze the line to it to increase pressure to see if it affected the start up at all. Stayed the same.
Ignition Fuse - checked it out, looked good also.

Compression - I've started up vehicles w/holes in the block and others w/toasted piston rings. I just can't say I've ever seen a car not start because of compression, I'm positive it can happen, I just killed a few blocks/rings in my day and they've all started back up, even drove home on 2-3 cylinders.
I poured a tea spoon of oil into the cylinders for an added seal on the start to see if it too would change anything. Nothing.

Last edited by Dom_J; Jan 17, 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:08 AM

It started to today!!!!

After cranking it about 5 times in 10-seconds incriments on a FRESH jump pack, it cranked over w/giving it gas while trying to crank!

Ran perfectly fine, until it shut off. The car has been having the issue of after letting off the gas, the revs drop low enough to shut it off. It would usually kick back right on, w/good battery power of course!

I was good about keeping the revs up throughout the drive, I even let off the gas a few times and it didn't shut off. Once I went to really clean the rust off of the brakes is when the car shut down, guess the revs dropped low enough.

The battery was completely dead so it didn't even crank over one bit afterwards. It's so hard to trouble shoot this thing w/a dead battery. So I went back to grab a the jump pack and attempted to start it again, no go. The jump pack was about dead too, we know how those go, only good a few times before they need to be recharged.

So i'm back to square one only my car is stuck away from my house again .

We did notice the fuel pressure wasn't exactly so high the more we attempted to start the car. I'm wondering if I have a bad FPR to begin with. I don't really know how to test it, tools are limited. There was fuel getting to the rail so I believe the pump is okay.

It does looks like a fuel related issue. I just would like to narrow down what to replace, time is limited and replacing the right parts would be so much nicer!

-So my questions now are, does the speed of the car turning over have a huge impact on the start up??

-Do you think the dead battery is killing off other things making the no-start condition??

-ie. do you think the fuel pressure is so low due to the battery voltage being what it is??? That shouldn't have been an issue w/the car being jumped right? Then again a dead battery probably wouldn't help much even being charged.

-There is a fuel sending unit issue, fuel guage reads off and is really empty at a quarter tank of fuel.

Idk.

Thanks for any more help on this issue!!!!

Last edited by Dom_J; Jan 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Have you done a boost leak test? I know it sounds really basic, but from the symptoms you are describing, this could be the culprit. Did the car just die on the road one day, or was it sometime after it had been sitting for a period of time?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is your battery not charging? did you blow the alt fuse on the post connector?
Old Jan 18, 2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by cheb evo
Have you done a boost leak test? I know it sounds really basic, but from the symptoms you are describing, this could be the culprit. Did the car just die on the road one day, or was it sometime after it had been sitting for a period of time?
Didn't do a boost leak test...hopefully I can do one soon. The car doesn't just like die when cruising, it's like an idle issue it was having, even when it was running good. Unfortunately I got the car this way in Japan.
Originally Posted by 05VIII
why is your battery not charging? did you blow the alt fuse on the post connector?
I haven't read the voltage w/the car running but I believe the alt is charging the batt but the 5 mins of me running it, after it was dead wasn't enough time to build the charge back up. I put it to a battery charger for the night, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I do know 12v should be all that is needed for a start, I've drove cars home w/broke drive belts a few times. I don't think it was dying on the road because of the alt, I didn't get one check engine light, batt light, etc etc when I had it running today.

This is nuts. Thanks for all the input so far fellas! It's so close to hitting the pavement running again.

Last edited by Dom_J; Jan 18, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
boost leak wouldn't do this. don't waste your time. It sounds like a fluke of some sort... I would get it to a shop so they can check it out for you. Really any shop should be able to help, a motor is a motor unless you have a problem with the tune they you a bit sol. If you need to get it started just spray starter fluid in one of the vacuum lines going to the intake manifold and the car will start right up as long as you are getting spark.

Also if you try everything and nothing works port your rom in the ecuflash thread and get a few guys to look it over to make sure it is good.

Mikey
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
boost leak wouldn't do this. don't waste your time. It sounds like a fluke of some sort... I would get it to a shop so they can check it out for you. Really any shop should be able to help, a motor is a motor unless you have a problem with the tune they you a bit sol. If you need to get it started just spray starter fluid in one of the vacuum lines going to the intake manifold and the car will start right up as long as you are getting spark.

Also if you try everything and nothing works port your rom in the ecuflash thread and get a few guys to look it over to make sure it is good.

Mikey
Sounds like a plan,
I think I have some starter fluid. Only bad thing is the Spanish mechanics really are not the brightest when it comes to anything non-peugot, alfa romeo, fiat, diesel etc etc. I had a mechanic come check out the car yesterday. He couldn't really couldn't give a solid answer on what he thinks. Your right though, any decent shop should get this thing going. I want to change the fuel pump, sending unit, FPR, fuel filter etc etc soon as I figure things out.

Ironically I just received the flashed ECU I ordered from the UK. The stock Evo IV ECU is non-flashable(needs to be switched out w/the later model Evo ECU's), its set-up for my injectors and a base tune they run on their Evo IV hill climbing cars. I need to get some software to really get a look at the tune and make minor changes, make sure the car takes it well. Maybe the low voltage messed up the ECU, I guess I could throw the new one in and see how it goes.

I'm trying to locate a FPR now, I know they sell the newer Evo's in Spain but I can't find a Mitsubishi dealership anywhere near me! Not to mention they'll probably rape me on the price. We'll see how it reacts to a fully charged battery in a few hours when I get off. Thanks for that input!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:45 AM

I'm thinking its the fuel pump...the car had run out of gas at least twice that know of in just noticing the gas guage reading error.

I know most pumps do not take that well at all. I'd need to upgrade anyhow also. My thing is on an Evo IV I'm supposedly supposed to cut hard pipes or drop the tank to change out the fuel pump. It looks like that was already done on my car

Here's a pic:

So I'm wondering if the pumps have been swapped already. Those rubber hoses area about 2" long and it was the cause of the fuel leak the car was having. I found it, replaced the hose and now I'm wondering if that also played a role in the cars current state of being. I'd have the car running and you could just see the fuel coming down the side of the tank before I realized one of those hoses was cracked pretty bad.

Last edited by Dom_J; Jan 22, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CAS sensor above exhaust manifold.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Evoryder
CAS sensor above exhaust manifold.
Really?? Your a life saver if that works...How do I test it?

Or did you have a similar situation happen to you? Why do you think it started up randomly the one time it did?

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bad ground, either the battery, or block.. if the engine runs fine when it does run,
but shuts off when little or no gas 9/10 times this happened to me it was a bad battery ground
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by X91EVO
bad ground, either the battery, or block.. if the engine runs fine when it does run,
but shuts off when little or no gas 9/10 times this happened to me it was a bad battery ground
That's valid also...

You saying the actual ground side of you battery was bad? If not, which ground did you replace? Might as well start there...that's a simple task while I locate a dealer for the CAS.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

What fuel pressure are you having exactly, when my pump is priming I'm getting a quick 50 PSI and then drop to 40 PSI.
While crancking I'm jumping around 45-50 PSI.

But sadly I'm not getting any fuel out of my 1000cc injectors...

Oh and I'm overseas as well, only 2 Evo IX in the country.... LOL
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:21 AM

REPLACED Cam Angle Sensor, STILL NO START!

Originally Posted by HxllxMan
What fuel pressure are you having exactly, when my pump is priming I'm getting a quick 50 PSI and then drop to 40 PSI.
While crancking I'm jumping around 45-50 PSI.

But sadly I'm not getting any fuel out of my 1000cc injectors...

Oh and I'm overseas as well, only 2 Evo IX in the country.... LOL
Lol that thing must get looks like its an Exotic when they see and hear it probably...

I haven't had a way to measure actual fuel pressure though, I a little confused on the set-up as a whole, I did notice a missing relay though?! And as stated before, I replaced the CAS, and still no start but turns over perfectly! Here's some pics of where the missing relay is.

Which ones can I pull to test it out and crank up w/o hurting something??!

Tried to swap the above relay to see if I got a start but nothing, I think that's the ignition relay.

What are these two in the corner?

Quick Reply: "No Start" Conditions...any you can think of.