Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

"No Start" Conditions...any you can think of.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak spark.

How do you know if its the spark plug or the coil pack?? It sounds like the spark is getting blown out after that initial crank...followed by fuel soaked plugs.

Last edited by Dom_J; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car sounds like the cam timing is off. It's cranks too smoothly if you will, like the starter doesn't have to work against compression. My car was two teeth off before and would not start. If you fuel coming out of the reuturn line I doubt it's a fuel issue. Also what you said about it if it was compression you would expect it to run on 2 cylinders, this is incorrect because cam timing has an effect on all cylinders. It doesn't effect them all the same and could possibly still run on a few cylinders but That all depends on where the timing ends up.

You can see the timing marks without removing anything, it is tricky to spot tho, you may want to take a look at a timing belt how to. Hope this helps
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 20gmr
The car sounds like the cam timing is off. It's cranks too smoothly if you will, like the starter doesn't have to work against compression. My car was two teeth off before and would not start. If you fuel coming out of the reuturn line I doubt it's a fuel issue. Also what you said about it if it was compression you would expect it to run on 2 cylinders, this is incorrect because cam timing has an effect on all cylinders. It doesn't effect them all the same and could possibly still run on a few cylinders but That all depends on where the timing ends up.

You can see the timing marks without removing anything, it is tricky to spot tho, you may want to take a look at a timing belt how to. Hope this helps
I definitely had a strong feeling toward timing, the only thing that had me stumped is, I've never seen a car go to a no start state due to timing then have the timing jump back to normal, for the car to idle and run fine. I did have the car WOT for a sec and it stumbled/"jerked" a little while I had the car depressed like something could have wrong with the . But it didn't throw any kind of lights.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dom_J
I definitely had a strong feeling toward timing, the only thing that had me stumped is, I've never seen a car go to a no start state due to timing then have the timing jump back to normal, for the car to idle and run fine. I did have the car WOT for a sec and it stumbled/"jerked" a little while I had the car depressed like something could have wrong with the . But it didn't throw any kind of lights.
Yeah it is odd that it went from not starting then started. Did you get a chance to Check the timing marks on the crank. I'm not surprised about no cel, they go on for the dumbest stuff and stay off half the time something actually goes wrong
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 20gmr
Yeah it is odd that it went from not starting then started. Did you get a chance to Check the timing marks on the crank. I'm not surprised about no cel, they go on for the dumbest stuff and stay off half the time something actually goes wrong
Yea, that's the truth...I haven't had a chance to look at the timing marks. I'll have to look at what I need to line up and all. It's definitely around the time the timing belt needs to be changed. I know somethings definitely wrong, check out my Greddy's!!!

It's almost like TOO much fuel is getting in and not enough spark at all...I didn't know timing could really do that. I have the manual, I need to see what I need to line up. Thanks on the input thus far.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:32 PM

What's up guys, long time no talk!! Just giving an update on this one!

Had the compression checked at a GOOD shop, 1 GOOD 2 NO GOOD 3 GOOD 4 GOOD

I did notice the car empty on COOLANT when I bought it from the guy and I'm thinking it overheated enough to cause the damage it did. We realized the HEAD was WARPED! Right in between the cylinder #1 & 2 causing the head gasket not to seal properly :\

Idk if its the water pump that went out or car just not having any fluid in it. I wish I could have checked the water pump before I started tearing things apart!

The guy wants to mill the head to fix the issue.

-Head gasket / Studs / Water Pump recommendations?

It would actually push start and come on for a second, give it a little gas then it would die.