Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do I Have A Right To be Upset?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Have A Right To be Upset?

first off, warning its a long post. so thank you to who ever does read it

i made an agreement at 9pm to sell my 2006 mitsu lancer for $17,700.00 to A Dealership with the condition i bring a stock catalytic converter and exhaust the following day. i asked the finance manager if i cannot bring these parts in tomorrow what happens(the tech that did my mods passed away recently), he said "you just get your car back".

i signed the liability form, but no finalized contract or received payment of any kind. the next morning i arrived (12pm) and said i could not locate my parts so i returned for my vehicle, keep in mind i live 2 hours away. they still tried to make a deal with me and i refused. they then said you can have your car back if you pay $480. for services we performed already inspection and smog. i then argued that i was never told neither ever authorized for any services done to the vehicle as the agreement was never finalized.

i live 2 hours away and was stranded there and the only way to get my car back was to pay $480. they told me they ONLY accepted cash and made me walk to the bank. and gave me a hand written receipt that stated for services and labor. no copy of a breakdown of the services and or a copy of the smog report (which all dealers provide). they made me sign a hand written contract before i could pay, stating i agree to pay to unwind the vehicle, and if i should sell my car to them in the future i would be reimbursed the $480. only if i sell it to them.
i got into an argument with the manager obviously, i asked to talk to the finance manager i made the agreement with last night, he said"we dont call them on there days off" numerous times. and told me things like" take this as a learning experience" i lost my job and am on unemployment and had i not gone the day before i would be $480.00 richer.

anyway i contacted the BBB i asked if i should file a complaint and they said "absolutely" so i did and are awaiting for a response, i contacted the local DMV on a suggestion by the BBB and is doing an investigation, and i contacted mitsu corporate and was assigned a case and case manager and is awaiting their call today.

my question is do i have the right to be upset?
their argument is, "well you signed the liability over to us so its our car" and "on the liability you signed under where it says agrees to bring back exhaust and cat back, you should have put or can have the car back.

Last edited by THE JAVI; Jan 20, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:16 AM

wow that blows !
whats going on now with dealers ship being ******* well "some"
i think you should be upset.. i would of been
also what other deal or deals they where trying to do with you that you refuse ?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yes you have a right to be mad. But honestly you def should have not left your car there. All dealerships are ******* thieves. They do things that will benefit them not you. Its just a really crappy situation. You should have called the police or threatened to call the police and they may have given it back.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:31 AM

^^i threatened to call the local sheriff and they didnt budge in retrospect i should have but i made mistakes which i regret.

they started with 1500off, and my payoff is 16k, then 500 and i will admit they did say well it passed smog so we can give you the 17,700, because we put money into it already and i told them i can make more money by putting it to stock, i got dropped off because my gf had to go to work. ALL because the finance manager said "if you cant bring the parts in you just get your car back" that was the agreement. so i went the next day with the intention of getting my car back

if he had told me that night that there would be service charges for work that will be done first thing in the morning, i would have said ok ill take my car home and bring it back tomorrow to make the deal. the deal was never final to my understanding. it surprised me since this dealer is incredibly reputable.

Last edited by THE JAVI; Jan 20, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you should be upset! I would be too if I was in your shoes.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

you actually trusted a stealership.... thats your fault man... they are right, lesson learned... The BBB cant do anything besides send them a complaint letter and wait for them to respond. If they dont respond they will only change their rating which wont effect them all that much, they have nothing to do with governmental enforcement so dont think it will really help you out, it will only help people who actually look up the company to determine if they will shop with them. If they do respond then you will be contacted and asked if it resolved the situation to clear their name and on top of all of this the dealership doesnt even have to be part of the BBB in the first place, yeah their name will be listed but they dont have to participate since its not law...

The best thing you actually did do is call Mitsu Corporate BUT this will only help if you were trying to sell the car to a Mitsu dealer...

Chances are you are SOL on the $480 and them telling you they only take cash is BS as the parts department of pretty much any dealership will have a CC machine, this is a no brainer...

When you asked "if I cannot bring these parts in tomorrow what happens" its pretty clear that you were doubting finding them in the first place so you should have left the car or made any deal until you located the parts you needed.

IMO, you made ALOT of mistakes right off the bat and next time you should bring someone who knows what they are doing...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:57 AM

^^ your something that rhymes with mick lol but i see what your saying underneath the belittling

i went with what they told me, i guess not every one knows what "they are doing" but i was doubting finding them and i made that clear i told them my tech died and i might not have the parts and that was part of the agreement.

and yes the BBB doesnt have any legal power. BUT the local DMV does. and thats why the BBB told me to contact them. and same with mitsu corporate, the person who told me to do that is a service manager at another mitsu dealer. and yes it was a mitsu dealer.

im not stupid i know they take card, but keep in mind i fought with them for hours and i had NO ride home two hours away, because the agreement allowed me too take my car back. i was tired pissed and wanted to leeeeaavve
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:57 AM

Yeah, the BBB can't do much besides send them a letter and giving them a rating. Personally, I wouldn't have left my car with the dealership. Good luck.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were you, I would have just taken the car back. If you didn't sign anything stating that they could, then legally, they COULDN'T hold your car for ransom. If they didn't give me my car back, I would have called the police. Most likely though, I just would have brought the extra keys with me, and took the car. What are they going to do? Get you for stealing your own car? I'd be pissed, but I would have never given them a penny.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If there is no document signed by the owning party to the dealership to perform any repairs or work, it doe not need to be paid. Especialy if it was not authorized.

We here in NY need customers signature on the repair order and when the auth work, we have a service that records the telephone conversation for legal reasons.

We had a customer never sign an RO and the service writer called using his personal cell phone(not being able to record). When we sent the customer the bill for the $25K in repairs, he and his laywer picked up the car without paying a dime. Needless to say, the service writer is no longer here.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lesson learned: Do not leave your car anywhere without a check for the car in your possession.

Good luck with getting your money back, but I highly doubt that you would be able to. Don't go back to the dealership, and sell your car somewhere else. They obviously were not up-front with you, and most likely will not ever be.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
If there is no document signed by the owning party to the dealership to perform any repairs or work, it doe not need to be paid. Especialy if it was not authorized.

We here in NY need customers signature on the repair order and when the auth work, we have a service that records the telephone conversation for legal reasons.

We had a customer never sign an RO and the service writer called using his personal cell phone(not being able to record). When we sent the customer the bill for the $25K in repairs, he and his laywer picked up the car without paying a dime. Needless to say, the service writer is no longer here.
i thank you for your response sir,

@ Thrilla: yes lesson learned i hope mitsu corporate will want to help me out.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THE JAVI
^^ your something that rhymes with mick lol but i see what your saying underneath the belittling

i went with what they told me, i guess not every one knows what "they are doing" but i was doubting finding them and i made that clear i told them my tech died and i might not have the parts and that was part of the agreement.

and yes the BBB doesnt have any legal power. BUT the local DMV does. and thats why the BBB told me to contact them. and same with mitsu corporate, the person who told me to do that is a service manager at another mitsu dealer. and yes it was a mitsu dealer.

im not stupid i know they take card, but keep in mind i fought with them for hours and i had NO ride home two hours away, because the agreement allowed me too take my car back. i was tired pissed and wanted to leeeeaavve
You gave up too quick... good luck getting your money back though, and I mean that.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:00 AM

Wow, I'm getting pissed just reading through this. I have the same kinda luck with places...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:11 AM

yeah , you have every right to be mad , i commend you for not knocking anyone out , i would of been in jail.

Quick Reply: Do I Have A Right To be Upset?