Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tial 50mm BOV problem with Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tial 50mm BOV problem with Evo IX

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my 50mm Tial BOV. When trying to maintain a speed, lets say 50mph, when I let off the gas, the car surges and doesn't blow off as it should. I've taken the BOV and greased it, only to have the issue come back a few days later. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Also, I wanted to note that when the engine is cold upon start up, the BOV will surge under ANY level of boost until the car is fully warmed up. I took the BOV fully apart today and noticed that I have the standard unpainted spring. Apparently there is no way to adjust this BOV without purchasing another spring.

MODS LIST:
- DC sports downpipe
- Burschur catback
- AMS FMIC
- AGP LICP
- TurboTrix UICP
- Tial 50mm BOV
- EvoPowerMods external o2 dump
- Forced Performance 18psi wastgate actuator
- Turbo XS MBC
- Buschur Racing ported stock exhaust manifold
- Aeromotive high flow fuel rail
- Precision 1000cc injectors
- Warlboro high pressure fuel pump
- ACT street disc clutch
- ACT LightWeight flywheel
- ProSport Gauges (Boost, AFR, Oil pressure)

Thanks for your help guys....

Danny
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Too stiff of a spring...stock maf? Go back to a recirc bov OR switch to SD...

Also are you using a 1/4" reinforced vacuum line from the fitting on the top of the BOV straight to the intake manifold with no Ts?

PS...search...there are a lot of these threads...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
measure the vacuum you pull at idle, then goto tials website and order the right spring for the right amount of vaccum... easy as that

i will tell you now, that if you are on a MAF sensor, you are not gonna be able to keep the car from surging and have the blow off valve closed at idle. and thats all the spring does is keep it closed at idle
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you need to do is look at your vacuum reading at idle. Take that reading and compare that to the chart Tial provides for the proper spring to work. Also, have you been tuned with this BOV, or were you tuned then switched to this BOV. I ran this BOV on my car and had no issues what so ever after tuning. Also how old is the BOV? I would make sure you have the correct spring according to your vacuum reading, and also get tuned with it if you havent already done so.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Too stiff of a spring...stock maf? Go back to a recirc bov OR switch to SD...

Also are you using a 1/4" reinforced vacuum line from the fitting on the top of the BOV straight to the intake manifold with no Ts?

PS...search...there are a lot of these threads...
Yes, stock MAF.

Not using 1/4'' reinforced vacuum line, no T's

I did search, was unable to locate any issues with this BOV.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
measure the vacuum you pull at idle, then goto tials website and order the right spring for the right amount of vaccum... easy as that

i will tell you now, that if you are on a MAF sensor, you are not gonna be able to keep the car from surging and have the blow off valve closed at idle. and thats all the spring does is keep it closed at idle
Thanks. Will probably buy the White Spring since it's the next level down from what I currently have.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ssg_petty_210
What you need to do is look at your vacuum reading at idle. Take that reading and compare that to the chart Tial provides for the proper spring to work. Also, have you been tuned with this BOV, or were you tuned then switched to this BOV. I ran this BOV on my car and had no issues what so ever after tuning. Also how old is the BOV? I would make sure you have the correct spring according to your vacuum reading, and also get tuned with it if you havent already done so.
The car was tuned with this BOV and the mods that I listed. This BOV is at least 2 years old, I bought the car 1.5 years ago and I know the tune occurred before I purchased the car.

Thanks,
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

That's not necessarily true...I am using a 10 psi spring with a 1/4" reinforced vacuum line straight to the manifold with no Ts...My part throttle/cruising is actually pretty good. Its my a/f while cruising and at idle that is terrible.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:43 AM

Its never going to be right with out using a recirculating bov. At least while still on the stock maf.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
That's not necessarily true...I am using a 10 psi spring with a 1/4" reinforced vacuum line straight to the manifold with no Ts...My part throttle/cruising is actually pretty good. Its my a/f while cruising and at idle that is terrible.
probably because the bov isnt fully closed and its messing up your fuel trims. the tial is not a good bov to run on a MAF, end of story
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

probably because the bov isnt fully closed and its messing up your fuel trims. the tial is not a good bov to run on a MAF, end of story
Obviously I can't tell if its fully closed during cruising, Idle though it definitely seems closed. I agree any vta bovs are not good maf bovs...That is why I gutted my maf and will be switching to a Synapse bov...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
"1/4" reinforced vacuum line" is fuel line acceptable? What does it look?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

What BOV's do you guys recommend with the stock MAF?....My car was tuned at 28PSI so I believe a crushed stocker is out of the question. I'd prefer aftermarket anyway.

Thanks,

Danny
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, check your vacuum, and see about getting the correct spring. I would look into a retune with the right one. You should not be having the issues you are having bro. If you have any other questions. Ask KevinD. He can help you out. He is a vendor on here. Evolution Dynamics.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MarylandEvo
What BOV's do you guys recommend with the stock MAF?....My car was tuned at 28PSI so I believe a crushed stocker is out of the question. I'd prefer aftermarket anyway.

Thanks,

Danny
I just picked myself up a Synapse, I've heard good things about the APS, which are hard to find now and also the Forge...

Quick Reply: Tial 50mm BOV problem with Evo IX