Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo + Rain = better evo ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo + Rain = better evo ?

...Speeding in the Rain is never good... But driving in the Rain... Ok so after work today it was raining, was taking it easy until i seen a SS truck peel out at a stoplight... So i was thinking how much can i spin from a dig in light rain, I'm about 90% stock and got some tire spin... had it under control so stepped on it a little more while shifting and noticed that my gears were so so smooth like butter, most the time I would have to hold the clutch in a second or two... then noticed I was getting faster spool up too... this all was only after 7 - 10 minutes the car been on from a 9 hour shift. So my question is, why did the rain make me shift smother and spool faster, or am i just crazy??? Hmm... Thanks all in advance
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You probably spun tire's, causing your RPM to raise faster so it spooled up alot faster.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 PM

You are just crazy and That makes no sense ^^ spinning the tires would result in less load and would in turn spool the turbo slower.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nikg
You are just crazy and That makes no sense ^^ spinning the tires would result in less load and would in turn spool the turbo slower.
Spinning the tires would cause less load and your rmps could go up more easily. Higher rpms = more exhaust = faster spool
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:07 PM

Guess i left out some parts.. =( . i was already going 40-50mph and felt it kick in more then norm. and how about the smooth shifting... it never shifted that smooth at all... i mean went right in to gear, like it was auto...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Your clutch is gone LaWl
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:59 AM

LOL. So if I jacked up my car on stands so it has less load and accelerated, would it spool slower?

To the OP, check your front and back engine mounts, they might be cracked. Or, it could just have its moments.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
OK. Smarty.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRGEVO
LOL. So if I jacked up my car on stands so it has less load and accelerated, would it spool slower?
of course
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by MRGEVO

To the OP, check your front and back engine mounts, they might be cracked. Or, it could just have its moments.

You can't accelerate on jack stands, even at red line in top gear (UK version, not US) you are still going zero mph
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:21 AM

Update... Next morning, rain stopped and now she's shifting like old times, kinda stickie but still shifts... Maybe my clutch line is mostly dry so no smooth shifting and the rain water from the road lubed it up some...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

try replacing your front lower tranny mount. im rockn a blox one in my 9.

also try adjusting your clutch,.. do both with a ss clutch line, solid bushings(in car and under hood), bleed your clutch till it comes out clear and toss some AMSoil tranny fluid in your transmission.

Then is should def **** like a dream.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jamerico
Update... Next morning, rain stopped and now she's shifting like old times, kinda stickie but still shifts... Maybe my clutch line is mostly dry so no smooth shifting and the rain water from the road lubed it up some...
Put some oil on your shifter cables/slave cylinder anything that moves and is associated with the clutch under the hood.Sounds like you have stuff getting dirty/dry and seizing up.

PS Cool dense air.....such as when its raining makes more power than hot dry air.Your butt dyno must be in tune to feel the difference.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

would you say the active center diff made a diff in these driving conditions?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:47 PM

Will see what all i can squeeze in before it time to move to new house, all should be doable, I'm no tech but think i can handle it. Thanks again everyone.

Quick Reply: Evo + Rain = better evo ?