Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Berk Technology high flow cat or MIL. Spec?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, can someone here explain what "cat that carries OBDII certs" actually means in a practical sense?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also interested in a high flow cat, and everyone seems to be recommending the mil.spec 100 cell bolt on. I live in NY/NJ and my car has to pass inspection in NY every year. I've read that NY inspection consists of visual inspection and OBDII check. Will the mil.spec pass or should I go for a 200 cell HFC?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:13 PM

I have a Berk tech high flow cat. It's a great piece, and significantly reduced the noise of my exhaust from race car levels with a test pipe to neighborhood acceptable (I have an eBay downpipe and Greddy Ti catback too). I passed emissions in Nashville (Visual/OBDII) with it on, whatever that's worth. Also smells like fireworks when you go WOT now. No exhaust fume smell at any time since install. Welds are beautiful as stated before, and the outside of the cat will quickly turn a pretty deep blue/green from the heat anodization. It's a nice piece and serves its function.

Last edited by redevokid; Jan 5, 2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey wj,

I have ran the milspec and passed emissions in va. They just test to see if the exhaust is being converted and the cat does its job. ONly cali is extreme when it comes to emissions but va you will pass no prob. You'd even pass with a dump since it's closed at idle. Only a testpipe will fail you here guaranteed
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sexycommando
I am also interested in a high flow cat, and everyone seems to be recommending the mil.spec 100 cell bolt on. I live in NY/NJ and my car has to pass inspection in NY every year. I've read that NY inspection consists of visual inspection and OBDII check. Will the mil.spec pass or should I go for a 200 cell HFC?
Yes, NY is visual and readiness monitors, no check engine lights.

My mil spec has passed every time. No check engine,but then again I added a rear o2extender also.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

it's not illegal since it's an actual cat that functions to an acceptable standard. You can't get rejected for it. Only CA. Just don't go with a test pipe and you'll pass
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:58 AM

ehhh ..

I ordered the milspec race cat after reading all the rave. When I first examined it I noticed the thing wasn't even straight, something looked off. I was disapointed when during install I realized the flanges probibly are not square and possibly not clocked correctly so the bolt holes dont line up. The thing is a pain in the *** to install and I can't get a good seal so I have some leaks at both flanges.

The thing didn't reduce the stinky exhaust smell as much as I hoped either, maybe reduced by about 25-30%.

As a comparison I also run a test pipe from Invidia. It fits perfectly. Its the quality I would expect.

Next time I have it off I am going to contact milspec and see if the quality is usually this poor or if I got a bad batch. For $300 I was expecteing a higher quality piece.

Last edited by mr06; Jan 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: changed "Innova" to "Invidia".
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by redevokid
I have a Berk tech high flow cat. It's a great piece, and significantly reduced the noise of my exhaust from race car levels with a test pipe to neighborhood acceptable (I have an eBay downpipe and Greddy Ti catback too). I passed emissions in Nashville (Visual/OBDII) with it on, whatever that's worth. Also smells like fireworks when you go WOT now. No exhaust fume smell at any time since install. Welds are beautiful as stated before, and the outside of the cat will quickly turn a pretty deep blue/green from the heat anodization. It's a nice piece and serves its function.
In that regard, I wonder if a HFC will be quieter than a dual muffler? I have a 6" magnaflow can where the cat/test pipe used to be
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by 4RETECH
Yes, NY is visual and readiness monitors, no check engine lights.

My mil spec has passed every time. No check engine,but then again I added a rear o2extender also.
Thanks for the info, guys. I love this forum.

I read in another thread that I probably won't need an o2 extender if my performance mods aren't too crazy. Right now I only have a megan catback exhaust and short ram intake.

I'm thinking about getting a downpipe to go with it... maybe an o2/downpipe combo. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
hey wj,

I have ran the milspec and passed emissions in va. They just test to see if the exhaust is being converted and the cat does its job. ONly cali is extreme when it comes to emissions but va you will pass no prob. You'd even pass with a dump since it's closed at idle. Only a testpipe will fail you here guaranteed
thanks Broham. I only wonder if it's more uptight here in Nova then in the rest of the state (the free part, )

BTW, I did order that badboy and I'm waiting for it now.

Last edited by wjamyers; Jan 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
In that regard, I wonder if a HFC will be quieter than a dual muffler? I have a 6" magnaflow can where the cat/test pipe used to be
bump
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mr06
I ordered the milspec race cat after reading all the rave. When I first examined it I noticed the thing wasn't even straight, something looked off. I was disapointed when during install I realized the flanges probibly are not square and possibly not clocked correctly so the bolt holes dont line up. The thing is a pain in the *** to install and I can't get a good seal so I have some leaks at both flanges.

The thing didn't reduce the stinky exhaust smell as much as I hoped either, maybe reduced by about 25-30%.

As a comparison I also run a test pipe from Innova. It fits perfectly. Its the quality I would expect.

Next time I have it off I am going to contact milspec and see if the quality is usually this poor or if I got a bad batch. For $300 I was expecteing a higher quality piece.
Same here. I had exactly same problems with two mil spec HFC I went through. Flanges were little off and not squared. Could be a shipping damages but idk. Also, both of them were not straight.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
anybody have any personal experience with this? I was going to put a can where my test pipe is to quiet things down, but maybe it's better to just put in a HFC? Interested in the sound reduction difference between the two and the HP/Tq difference...
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mr06

As a comparison I also run a test pipe from Innova. It fits perfectly. Its the quality I would expect.

Originally Posted by Ryuartz
Same here. I had exactly same problems with two mil spec HFC I went through. Flanges were little off and not squared. Could be a shipping damages but idk. Also, both of them were not straight.
Oh goody.

Can you guys tell me around when you bought yours? I just ordered mine a week ago. I'll inspect it when it comes in and take pics if it looks different then it's supposed to.

Last edited by wjamyers; Jan 5, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you guys are having problems with the MIL spec ones, let the company know. I remember long ago they were in between shops to weld the flanges on the cats. If its quality control I'm sure they would like to know.

Quick Reply: Berk Technology high flow cat or MIL. Spec?