Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Berk Technology high flow cat or MIL. Spec?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RETECH
If you guys are having problems with the MIL spec ones, let the company know. I remember long ago they were in between shops to weld the flanges on the cats. If its quality control I'm sure they would like to know.
Yes I did. Erik was stand up guy so I am pretty sure they took care of it. I am about to give one more shot near future.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryuartz
Yes I did. Erik was stand up guy so I am pretty sure they took care of it. I am about to give one more shot near future.
Yes, it seems we had a small batch issue. Of course, both people who had issues have voiced their concerns in this thread

That being said, both customers were given refunds including shipping. Other than those two, we had one misplaced O2 sensor bung on an Evo 9. No other customer reported any other issues with our bolt ons in 2011 AFAIK.

We stand behind our stuff 100%. Any issue that has ever come up has been dealt with to the customer's satisfaction.

And, in case anyone cares, we can get the 200 cell units as well and custom make one for the same price as the 100 cell units. That price includes the bung on Evo 9 units
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
okay

Okay great, pm sent, as I believe I have one from this batch. Hope you can get me squared away.

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Yes, it seems we had a small batch issue. Of course, both people who had issues have voiced their concerns in this thread

That being said, both customers were given refunds including shipping. Other than those two, we had one misplaced O2 sensor bung on an Evo 9. No other customer reported any other issues with our bolt ons in 2011 AFAIK.

We stand behind our stuff 100%. Any issue that has ever come up has been dealt with to the customer's satisfaction.

And, in case anyone cares, we can get the 200 cell units as well and custom make one for the same price as the 100 cell units. That price includes the bung on Evo 9 units
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by spdngdragon
anybody have any personal experience with this? I was going to put a can where my test pipe is to quiet things down, but maybe it's better to just put in a HFC? Interested in the sound reduction difference between the two and the HP/Tq difference...
I can't comment about a dual muffler setup versus a HFC in terms of sound, but I can say that from a testpipe to my Berk HFC it's a pretty significant difference. It went from my friends complaining: "Holy ****, your car is loud." to: "Dang, your exhaust sounds awesome." It's still obviously aftermaket but just to the point of aggressive and throaty- perfect for a daily driver. Never been hassled about my exhaust and my commute is mostly suburban driving, where I pass about 3-4 cops a day. The cops around my area are fairly strict about obnoxious exhausts. I live in a neighborhood full of middle aged families who love to complain about minimal problems, and for the 6 months I've has my exhaust setup installed with my Berk HFC, I've only received one complaint from an elderly couple, which was well deserved.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redevokid
I can't comment about a dual muffler setup versus a HFC in terms of sound, but I can say that from a testpipe to my Berk HFC it's a pretty significant difference. It went from my friends complaining: "Holy ****, your car is loud." to: "Dang, your exhaust sounds awesome." It's still obviously aftermaket but just to the point of aggressive and throaty- perfect for a daily driver. Never been hassled about my exhaust and my commute is mostly suburban driving, where I pass about 3-4 cops a day. The cops around my area are fairly strict about obnoxious exhausts. I live in a neighborhood full of middle aged families who love to complain about minimal problems, and for the 6 months I've has my exhaust setup installed with my Berk HFC, I've only received one complaint from an elderly couple, which was well deserved.
Thanks Redevokid! did you notice any loss in power or longer spoolups when you went to the HFC? thanks
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:41 PM

Nothing noticeable power/spool wise that I can pick up on from test pipe to HFC. I'd assume the difference in horsepower gained from test pipe to any name brand high flow cat is negligible unless you're running a larger turbo setup.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'm getting a little of topic here but have any of you tried the Ultimate Racing High Flow cat?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
anyone know which of these is quieter, roughly the same, etc? Considering either one of these or even just 3" flanges bolted to the stock cat. Just want something quieter than what I have now, which is a 6" muffler in its place
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
anyone know which of these is quieter, roughly the same, etc? Considering either one of these or even just 3" flanges bolted to the stock cat. Just want something quieter than what I have now, which is a 6" muffler in its place
Our 100 cell cats are quieter than a test pipe but a smidge louder than the OEM cat. Have no idea how it would compare to a 6" muffler.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Our 100 cell cats are quieter than a test pipe but a smidge louder than the OEM cat. Have no idea how it would compare to a 6" muffler.
Thanks - sent you a PM a few days ago, def interested either in the 100 cell or 200 cell - seems a little pricey though.. are the mil.spec cats the same length as the OEM cat? just trying to get perfect fitment. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wjamyers
Oh goody.

Can you guys tell me around when you bought yours? I just ordered mine a week ago. I'll inspect it when it comes in and take pics if it looks different then it's supposed to.

And... it passed VA emissions today.