Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First "mod," car alarm or Valentine.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First "mod," car alarm or Valentine.

Ok, so i dont have my 9 yet, but the second i come across the right car ill own one, ive been looking for a few months now and missed a few good deals, so i gotta keep looking.
Now i plan on keeping the car stock. I plan on getting a car alarm and a valentine V1. I live in a nice neighborhood, but still, i want a alarm at some point just because it is a Evo. Which should i do first that or get a valentine. I am 20 so the valentine will definately come in handy!!! haha, I get enough **** driving the BMW i have now.

And which is better, DEI alarms or compustar?
My dad has a viper in his truck, which is DEI right?
It seems like a nice alarm, but i know nothing about the compustar.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:59 PM

spend 10 bucks and do a fuel kill switch yourself, better than just an alarm if thieves plan on actually taking your car and not just breaking into it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:02 PM

haha sure, but that was my question.
Between those to things, just looking for some conversation.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

double post

Last edited by blknblubkrdude; Feb 8, 2011 at 06:35 PM. Reason: double post
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I would definitely get the V1 first. Best mod to date.

Having had a vehicle stolen before, I don't think I would put an alarm in even if I moved to the city.

As silly as it may sound, I believe "the club" is the biggest turn-off to car thieves. Sure the steering wheel can be cut with a saw, but you will never see a experienced thief carrying around a saw.
When they see the club they will walk to the next car because the one with the club is not worth the hassle.

The idea of a fuel pump kill switch is great, except that they will already have torn apart your car before they find it will crank but not start.
They will then proceed to penetrate every interior piece with their side cutters because your car has pissed them off.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

V1 for sure!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say you get the evo first
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude

Having had a vehicle stolen before, I don't think I would put an alarm in even if I moved to the city.

As silly as it may sound, I believe "the club" is the biggest turn-off to car thieves. Sure the steering wheel can be cut with a saw, but you will never see a experienced thief carrying around a saw.
When they see the club they will walk to the next car because the one with the club is not worth the hassle.

The idea of a fuel pump kill switch is great, except that they will already have torn apart your car before they find it will crank but not start.
They will then proceed to penetrate every interior piece with their side cutters because your car has pissed them off.
Club? haha
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JoLo
Club? haha
Yes, it can also double as a standard club!

Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say alarm and don't speed. Crisis resolved.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by blknblubkrdude

I've also had a car stolen, broken into, etc etc. So speaking from experience I'd much rather have a few things torn up then never seeing my car in one piece again. Also depending on the thieves situation they cant waste time looking for a kill switch thats well hidden. they gotta be in and out. Alarms have limited effectiveness unless you take every precaution and install a mercury switch for the hood. An experienced thief will have very easy to carry tools to remove clubs in no time, and if they walk to a ford taurus and see the club they might walk away cause theres plenty more cars like it to get, but a thief walking up to an evo, sti, well built honda etc, knows they want it and do what they gotta do. I'm not a thief and never was, but I had to learn their game in order to keep my rides somewhat safer.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Having had my car car stolen last year and the only one that was found since the Chicago land Evo's being stolen left and right these days. From the clues left behind I have concluded how it was done.

They break the rear passenger side corner window to open the door from the inside. Black duck tape is next put over to cover the broken glass and make it seam natural. Next up they unplug the ECU and plug in their own Ecu that has been tuned to bypass the immobilizer. After destroying the key ignition switch, a flat head screw driver is used to turn the ignition to on position and start the car.

They drive off and park the car at a random location that is not too far of a drive. They do it in case it has lojack or other GPS tracking units installed. After some time passes by, they come back and drive off to their spot to strip it down.

I say get a GPS tracking system. However do not pick up your car right after it gets stolen. Just drive to the location to confirm its parked on a residential. Do not stop to observe etc.. just drive passed it. Next call the local authorities and inform them of the situation so that they can follow it once it starts moving. If you drive to the location and found it to be in doors then they didnt bother leaving it out and went straight to work in their "shop" . Just call the police.

Your not just getting your car back this way. Your ensuring it doesnt get stolen again by the same people. And before any one jumps in and says what if they wreck your car trying to get away etc... Well you have an insurance for that and be happy that the thieves will be get f*cked more than you. Either way you lose the insurance deductible and possibly the rates still going up even though its not your fault.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Feb 8, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:29 PM

So a valentine seems to be the better investment, and its not for me speeding. Im just a young looking kid, and drive in congested areas, now im sure cops love to pull over young guys in there evos even for the most rediculous reasons, so its nice to know when there coming.
Also i live in a area with tons of twisty roads, so when i go out for some spirited driving in the backroads, it will come in handy.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

If it's not for speeding you are better off investing in a "Support Your NJHP" sticker, lol.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:46 PM

^Good point! I would take this mans word!

Quick Reply: First "mod," car alarm or Valentine.