Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

burned up stock evo8 ecu

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
burned up stock evo8 ecu

Not sure what happened to my post..

What do you guys think? Burned up? Fried?

Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks cooked to me. If you know someone who can no surface mount repair... looks to be ~5 parts for sure and several others that will need to be checked. The printed board looks to be in ok shape.

I would source another one..if it were me. BUT if you are short on time, money and have the resources, fix it.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

unlimited time.. funds are.. eh so so.. $150 wouldnt kill me haha
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:50 PM

What the heck did you do? Did it get wet?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

i have no idea the history of the car really ive only had it a few months, but heres the linked thread that started the search

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...-ignition.html
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:12 PM

What does the other side of that board look like? Any signs inside the car that could indicate water getting in to the ECU (like being submerged while driving)?

I've done board repairs on expensive home theater amps and even hand held electronics, but from my limited experience, you'd be better off in spending some time on EVO forums and calling around scrap / junk yards to buy a used ECU from the same year car. Damage can exist on components that is not visible. Trying to repair something as critical as a vehicle ECU (especially if it's damaged to this extent) may not even be possible. You could spend all your time tracing the board and never figure out exactly what went bad. Plus... how are you going to figure out what the values are on those burnt resistors if they are burnt?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap man that is burned up good.

I think before you work on that ECU you need to start looking at all the major current applications in the ecu see if they are shorted or have the wrong fuse sizes inserted.

Look for things like the o2 heater circuits, igntion coil circuits, and the alternator circuits and see if you got a direct short to ground. See if you can't trace the origin point for the hot spot on the board just look for the most burned/heated pin and then use a pin out guid to figure out what circuit it goes to.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

now that ive looked at it tho -- those componets appear to be going to a different plug then the one that handles the injectors..

maybe its not burned up.. and this isnt my problem.. =/
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
now that ive looked at it tho -- those componets appear to be going to a different plug then the one that handles the injectors..

maybe its not burned up.. and this isnt my problem.. =/
Can you see any partial melting on the harness wires? maybe get a clue to what shorted out?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:51 AM

Do you have pictures of the electrical pin connectors on the ECU? I imagine that if it's a short or something causing this, then the heat capable of doing that to your board will also give some tell-tale signs on the pin connectors.

To know for sure whether nor not the ECU is the problem is a quick swap with another one.

But given the uncertain nature of your electrical system, I'd yank all the fuses (heater, horn, etc) and physically disconnect stuff like headlights before starting the car with another ECU. Otherwise, you could end up doing the same to the other one. If you do this, monitor the wiring harness by feel. If it gets warm, shut it off immediately. THen you'll be closer to finding the real problem.

Last edited by tonyk; Feb 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Can you see any partial melting on the harness wires? maybe get a clue to what shorted out?
Nothing. Harness, plugs, pins, all looks great.

Originally Posted by tonyk
Do you have pictures of the electrical pin connectors on the ECU? I imagine that if it's a short or something causing this, then the heat capable of doing that to your board will also give some tell-tale signs on the pin connectors.

To know for sure whether nor not the ECU is the problem is a quick swap with another one.

But given the uncertain nature of your electrical system, I'd yank all the fuses (heater, horn, etc) and physically disconnect stuff like headlights before starting the car with another ECU. Otherwise, you could end up doing the same to the other one. If you do this, monitor the wiring harness by feel. If it gets warm, shut it off immediately. THen you'll be closer to finding the real problem.
Nothin else appears damaged -- And like I just said.. those components go to a different plug, not my fuel injector plug - leading me to believe they are infact just ugly looking, and work just fine.

If I had another ecu -- i would try it.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:05 PM

So, there's no one in Pittsburg with another EVO willing to help you out here (swapping)?

That way, you'll know if your ECU was bad for sure (just plop it into the other car and see if it works).
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:32 PM

I have a stock ECU

I have a stock ECU that I no longer need. If that the way you want to go PM me.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:21 AM

damn is that a new way of tuning you ride....... it
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

IM hoping to try swapping first - before i buy one. But lots of people have put their car away for winter here.

Quick Reply: burned up stock evo8 ecu