Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VII Buyers' Group!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evo VIII Buyers' Group!!!!

This is an idea of evilted's. He is member #1 in the buyers' group that is now forming. People sending me a PM requesting to join will be given a numbered place in the order PM's are received (starting after #2, which will be me ) This group will have the following purpose:

1) Research into dealerships (reputations, logistics and timing of vehicle deliveries, ability to coordinate with other dealerships, and demographics of demand)

2) Research into state tax laws, registration laws, dealer transfers, etc for logistics of residents from different states taking delivery. In order to receive the best deal, it may be that our group has to take delivery at one specific dealership (not a big deal...your plane ticket will cost less than you will save...and otherwise we will designate somebody to deliver them---driving like a Grandma!! Somebody from the group who will be fully insured, spotless driving record, has a personal caring about allowing the cars to be broken in very gently, etc, etc)

3) I think the goal should be not so much to hammer the hell out of the dealer on price (though we will certainly get some of the best deals in the country if we go about this the right way) but to ensure an organized, coordinated, well documented delivery agreement with a dealer who will personally manage all aspects of our vehicles from options to shipping. ..making certain that we get what we agreed on (AYC/ACD, purple **** on the dash, lime green bumpers...) This allows us to place a deposit down with a written agreement for what the price will be (in relation to MSRP, invoice, etc) The dealer will be taking care of 10 or more very similar customers and will thus be making a lot of money from us, and thus will be more likely to make certain that everything is right. And accountable to the entire group if it is not.

4) Dealer will have added incentive of media exposure (we will be a high profile group and easily get covered on their local news in relation to news stories of general public scrambling for these cars). The media exposure thing is easy to do and the dealers can't get the same exposure doing it themselves. We may need to meet as a group at the dealer for optimal impact at the time of delivery...but that's all for later.
(One of our Subaru dealers in Minneapolis is putting on a big event for all of the people buying the WRX-Sti...there is an agreement made at the time of deposit that when the cars arrive, all the owners will participate at this festivity...they're going to have Champagne, MN Viking's cheerleaders, balloons, and some big wahoo event which will no doubt give them big exposure. OK. I made up the cheerleaders part.)

5) We will have constant contact with and updates from our dealer (as to "Where is it in the pacific now?" "HOW fast is the boat going?" Is the captain sober?) because he will only have to talk to one of us who will be responsible for relaying all information to the group. That way things stay organized. Better for him, an added incentive, and better for us.

OK enough. Let's see how many people want to join this group

Please note (if you have already made a deposit ,not a problem. Join the group and we can work all that out later. Plus, if you feel that you have a good agreement and relationship with your dealer, you can advise us, continue as part of the buyers' group tentatively, then decide whether to go with your original agreement before making any obligations otherwise) Once we have a list of 10 people, we should be in good position. The we will have to discuss how big to make the one group or whether to divide into 2 groups (East/West) etc.

So PM ME NOW YOU KNUCKLEHEADS and lets get this thing rolling!!!!!

Last edited by MyCre8n=Evlshn; Jun 27, 2002 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 09:41 AM
RaX
Evolved Member

Re: Evo VIII Buyers' Group!!!!

Originally posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
(One of our Subaru dealers in Minneapolis is putting on a big event for all of the people buying the WRX-Sti...there is an agreement made at the time of deposit that when the cars arrive, all the owners will participate at this festivity...they're going to have Champagne, MN Viking's cheerleaders, balloons, and some big wahoo event which will no doubt give them big exposure. OK. I made up the cheerleaders part.)
Are you talking about Bloomington Subaru, most likely headed by Scott Putnam?

Regarding the group buy of the Evo, I would be interested but I already have arrangements with my dealer. Also my dealer is no longer accepting deposits/orders since the Evo 8 will be brought here in limited numbers. I would suggest finding that dealer you are looking for quickly, before they too stop taking deposits/orders.

Old Jun 27, 2002, 11:16 PM

Bloomington

Yea, that's the one. My buddy was buying a new outback from him (I think it was Scott...whoever the fleet manager is...the non-sales guy with the big office upstairs) and I got the low-down on the Sti which he was taking deposits for and I was going to be #3 in line for an Sti until I did a bit more research before putting $ down.

I completely agree with you to move quickly on this. That's why I encourage anyone with a deposit down to keep it there. I just realized that since I was getting ready to put in a deposit, I had to do some research into who, where, and with what agreements. All of this will be during the next 2 weeks, and there will be plenty for at least a couple of months (note that the vast majority of dealers aren't accepting deposits yet...that will start to change in about 2-4 months with many more accepting deposits, but I think the dealers who are taking deposits now are likely to be more interested and involved in the release of the Evo and thus more likely to be able to negotiate for a few more units delivered to them. That makes these dealers more attractive for a deal within the next 2-3 weeks.) Definitely have to have a deal in place in the next few weeks to be sure though.

Will add your name, 7 thus far. I will begin to contact dealers nationwide when we hit ten and limit this group to probably 15 or 20.

Everyone please include the following in your PM's to me:

1) Where you live

2) If/Where you have a deposit down (amount and whether verbal or written agreement...name of rep if you know. I will NOT contact them without talking to you first and will have YOU be the contact for that dealer if you are willing)

3) Do you know what color you want and do you think you are going to want / not want AYC/ACD if it is ~$3000 option.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 11:24 PM

Bloomington Dealer

PS--The guy in Bloomington has been a decent source of info as he and his buddy rally race all over the world. He's really into the rally scene and was going to put me in touch with the Prodrive guys in England so I could have my Sti done by them before it came over here. Anyway, he's not into the sales so much (his job really entails shuffling the fleet mostly) so he might be a good source of info for logistics of how cars are distributed from the port authority (although Suabaru and likely have different dist systems...there are no doubt similar bottlenecks and distribution patterns) This would be useful to determine who can get what reliably, when, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:31 AM

i got a couple q's, i figured someone else might want to know this as well so thats why i didnt private message

1. what kind of financing would be available, cause when i get my car the apr is going to be a big factor. otherwise the monthly payments would be too high and i wouldnt be able to afford the car.

2. could i sign up for this and be able to back out later on if the final details of the car are not what i wanted, ie: no AYC or ACD, the MSRP being too high.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:32 AM

Yes!

At this time:
There will be a clause which (I forget what someone called it but...) allows buyer to terminate agreement if car is not satisfactory for whatever reason when it hits the showroom. The dealers will be able to sell it at a premium then anyway...I think they just aren't quite yet up to speed, as a whole, on how much scrambling there will be for this thing.
So, no....there is NO obligation at this time WHATSOEVER to be a member of this group. That will only come in the form of written agreement from dealer/regional fleet manager/etc ...and in the form of a refundable deposit from you. So if the MSRP is too high (looks pretty much to be around 30K though, so you should have a pretty good idea...I would allow a potential 3-4K for AYC/ACD options) or the car isn't what you wanted when we get the specs (one wheel drive and 42 ft lbs of torque ), you can let someone else take your spot and bow out. I guarantee, anyone in this group (which will be limited) will be able to SELL their spot once the commercials hit the airwaves and the sleepy general public gets wind of this car.

As far as financing, that varies from person to person (credit, etc) So the agreement will have to stipulate financing details (interest rate, etc) once the base price is established. So if there is a written agreement to pay MSRP, it will also have to specify at what rate that will be financed (Is everyone with a deposit already paid somewhere listening? ...these are the details that a group agreement allows us to hammer out ahead of the onslaught )

Your financing will be based on your credit history, stipulating how much you will need to put down at the time of delivery, what the term of your loan will be (36 mos?), and your interest rate...though we should all be able to negotiate a set interest rate (for everyone in the group) with the dealer. And those who pay cash (finance outside the dealer) will likely pay some set amount less. Dealerships make a lot on financing sometimes...sometimes on warantee packages...sometimes on dealer additions, like undercoating. We will have to make them money (that's their incentive to get us cars) but we can negotiate how much at the outset so there aren't any unexpected extra charges later. Right now Mitsubishi is financing vehicles at 0% down, 0% interest for 6 months. They won't give us that deal with the Evo, but as a group we may be able to negotiate a percentage point or two less than the general public's individual buyers.

Otherwise you have the option of financing the car through your bank or credit union (or even some larger companies will finance vehicles for their employees). The details of the loan will be specific to you.

So. If you are still wondering: There is NO downside to joining this group. You can negotiate your own deal, on your own, as you wish...and when we get the details hammered out with a Mitsu dist or dealer, you can decide whether to be a certified, deposit paid, member...or go your own way. That's it. In the meantime, we have a centralized, organized group to continually know every detail of our deal, where/when/how much...etc and we have someone from Mitsu (hopefully a regional fleet manager) who will be paying attention as we will be buying a significant block of cars (couple of truckloads or more!).

So PM me now. Tell me you are on the list. We'll put our deposits down in the next few weeks. And we'll all celebrate when we are the envy of the rest of the sleepers who wake up to the Evo being sold for 5 or 10 K over MSRP this Spring.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:39 AM
RR

Just for you info.

Not sure how reliable, but interesting none the less.

I have heard that each dealership will get one car from the first shipment. Then every month after that they will bring enough for 1-2 for each deallership. Also they will not be able to trade or sell cars to other dealerships.

Again I am just reiterating what a sales person told me. Maybe others have heard more from a better source.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:52 AM

Limited supply

That's very possible and I have anticipated that. In fact, I'm fairly sure there will be no dealership with more than 20 or so. That's why the initial Buyers' Group will be limited to 15. Also why we will need to target a regional fleet manager (who has the capability to reroute cars, etc). We will maintain integrity to the forum first, thus we will make certain any negotiations do not interfere with members of this forum. In other words, we will not make arrangements which will detrement the delivery, price, etc, of anyone on this forum who puts a deposit in with a dealer. If, by chance, a car destined to be routed to someone on the forum, gets rerouted to someone in our group...we will relinquish that unit to its initial routing and establish delivery from elsewhere. The fundamental principle will be to allow Evo enthusiasts to establish a fair and equitable deal and to confirm precedence over the masses of non-enthusiasts who could cause a buying frenzy (like with the Mazda Miata) which would drive the cost way up over MSRP. Mitsubishi has no doubt thought of this also...probably the reason for their presumed distribution plan...but they are more interested in wide exposure of the vehicle than anything else.

Also, if we can establish negotiations with a regional fleet manager, we will have our "finger on the pulse", so-to-speak, of Mitsubishi's distribution plans, dates, etc.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:01 AM

Angry enough of the NOVELS!!!!

SHEEEEEEESH!!!!! But that Bastige can ramble on!
No more of those endless posts, you moron!

OK. I'm going to try to be a bit more brief from here on.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:17 AM

INFO:

~510 Mitsubishi dealerships in US
estimates of # of Evo VIIIs arriving tend to be ~ ?? 5,000 ??

that would be ~10 Evos per dealership..but that may be over the whole year, not at the outset.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

MyCre8n=Evlshn:

If I may ask...what was the "low-down on the Sti" that Scott/the fleet manager told you?
Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:49 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Don't believe everything you hear from Scott. He does BS quite a bit.
Old Jun 29, 2002, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

How do you send PM in this forum???.. or is IM = PM?
Old Jun 30, 2002, 08:40 AM

Low Down on Sti

As best as I recall, he was heading out to Oregon for a big rally (where he and his driver were entered) and he told me to just get him a check for $200, he wouldn't even cash it...it was just to send a copy of it to the fleet manager so he could show documentation that he had serious buyers putting up deposits.

He was telling me he'd give it to me at probably a few hundred below MSRP ("I don't care...I'm the fleet manager and I don't make comissions, but I can't take sales away from the sales guys too much so don't tell everybody" etc etc) but DEFINITELY not above MSRP.

He had incentive with me in that he had just sold my friend a 2002 Outback wagon for twenty-whatever thou...and he knew if he got us all jazzed about him and the dealership, it would tend to pay off (you know...like "Ive got this 'buddy' in the car business" ....like "Now YOU'VE got a friend in the diamond business!"

Well, the Sti was unknown HP, still hadn't released exact specs on the upgrades but they were going to be virtually identical to the Euro-Sti, and I was going to visit Prodrive in UK this summer to try to learn more (before I figured out they wouldn't give me the time of day...let ALONE bother talking to me). Prodrive does the same mods as other tuners but they will add on a very nice extra big bill. Sti still sluggish under boost RPM, but very solid. I was going for it and doing my research prior to laying the check down ('cause I had almost 2 weeks before Scott got back in town) and then I found out about the Evo...in detail.