Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highest Mileage Built motors and turbos??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
guys, thanks for the responses and it seems like everyone is putting some good mileage and going strong. 3k, 3200 etc. But sharkbite brings an interesting point. Since the topic is motors and "TURBOS" do you feel that the turbos haven't lasted like the motors. AN example would be an fp red blowing at 1000 miles on a built motor but the motor was fine. In that regard, do you feel that ball bearing turbos generally outlast the journal? thoughts?

nomi, Like mikey indicated it's an easy install. In this other thread mikey posted an installed pic so you can see, post #73: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-doing-5.html

FOr not cutting corners, i'd say to mod the oil pan or get an ams one, get the regulator, make sure to use a reputable builder for these motors and use the correct oil. Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is to follow the builders break in directions so you don't stomp on it from mile 1. other than that just keep reading here as there is a wealth of info and i'll try my best to pick some of these folks brains

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Feb 24, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gread thread.. im going to check all threads Mikey started.. it seems like he knws what hes talking about. Thanks..
and just a lil bump for a great thread
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIKEY AND BROHAM

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!
Borham- thanks for starting the thread, now I can say I have a clue on what is going on instead of being lost.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2.3L Eagle Rods-Wisco Combo .20 over, 4G64 crank, HTA82 17,000 Miles 510+whp 435wtq 93 pump DD Zero issues Brad Penn 20W-50 Changed every 1500-2000 miles since day 1. No track time as of yet, but I do driver it hard occasional pulls and launches. I recently had to Replace my at Oil Pan 14,000 Miles (Due to Leak under scuff plate) and took a chance to check things out Cylinder walls crank and bearings good as the day there were put in. Not high Mileage or High HP, but just for Reference.

Last edited by Ricekiller81; Feb 24, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

rice, thanks for that detailed description. 17k miles with that power and tq on that combo is excellent! That should shed light that eagle rods are infact good and the 4g64 crank is more than capable of supporting big power. Did you upgrade the oil pan or just get a new mitsu pan? How is your turbo holding up after 17k miles? no issues i assume. whose turbo kit are you running? manifold etc
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Oil Pan I had a spare block so I replaced it with a Used OEM Mitsu one. The Turbo is running Great man. One thing I love about is I also have the option to upgrade to an HTA86 for $600 bucks from FP if I ever wanted to make more power on pump gas Other then that the way it still more then enough for me right now for a DD. The Turbo Kit is a re-welded Ebay T3 kit cant trust them China Welds Eventually going with a real kit if it fails.

Last edited by Ricekiller81; Feb 24, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I have a Buschur 2.4, JE pistons/Manley TT rods... I have about 2500 miles on the motor now and it is running very strong for the restrictions I still have on the car (Stock IM/throttle body). The tune that is on it now is 450hp/450tq at 26 psi. I have been using Brad Penn 20-50 since the break in on VR-1 20-50. I will post up some more when I get some more miles on the car...

Two things to add that are must haves/must do's...

1. Fluidampr or the ATI damper end of story...
2. If you have a stock frame FP turbo with upgraded oil line make sure and check the mesh filter every other oil change. If you have break in material stuck in it, oil isn't getting to the turbo...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mirebih
im going to check all threads Mikey started.. it seems like he knws what hes talking about.
You funny

Originally Posted by Ricekiller81
took a chance to check things out Cylinder walls crank and bearings good as the day there were put in.
For the most part, cylinder wear is min due to us having an Iron sleeve. Also I would expect your bearings to be in nice shape. 600-700whp is where the bearings start to get unhappy over time. Thanks for chiming in

Originally Posted by Broham
the 4g64 crank is more than capable of supporting big power.
I'm running stock crank and MAP has 1000whp on stock crank. I think the verdict to why the stock 4G64 cranks fail (has been a few) is during a launch when oil starvation occurs. Obviously the mods we have been talking about (AMS Pan/Kiggly HLA) should help fix this problem...

Mikey
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Unless the cranks break in half, which i have personally seen...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Well I have a Buschur 2.4, JE pistons/Manley TT rods... I have about 2500 miles on the motor now and it is running very strong for the restrictions I still have on the car (Stock IM/throttle body). The tune that is on it now is 450hp/450tq at 26 psi. I have been using Brad Penn 20-50 since the break in on VR-1 20-50. I will post up some more when I get some more miles on the car...

Two things to add that are must haves/must do's...

1. Fluidampr or the ATI damper end of story...
2. If you have a stock frame FP turbo with upgraded oil line make sure and check the mesh filter every other oil change. If you have break in material stuck in it, oil isn't getting to the turbo...
Glad to know you are loving the motor Fred! That is a great point about the mesh filter. I need to check mine more offten. I have only checked it twice in the past 2 years.

Sore subject so don't need to bring it up in here but shoot me a pm about why and who recommended the Fluidampr? I always ran them on my Honda's but since I have been in the evo community a lot of rep shops say "stay away".

Mikey
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Unless the cranks break in half, which i have personally seen...
I know who you are talking about and that was a different problem, the engine builders fault, if we are talking about the same thing...

Mikey
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

No we are not... different engine...
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Confused

Hopefully it was just a structural flaw that caused it to snap, their are bad cranks... I don't think I heard about this one though.

Mikey
Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

this was an inspected 4g64 that hadn't been cut? I wont go to oem crank strength discussions because a good shaped crank is strong as hell.

freddie, can you pm me about an aem uego serial adapter to connect to laptop. thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Broham
guys, thanks for the responses and it seems like everyone is putting some good mileage and going strong. 3k, 3200 etc. But sharkbite brings an interesting point. Since the topic is motors and "TURBOS" do you feel that the turbos haven't lasted like the motors. AN example would be an fp red blowing at 1000 miles on a built motor but the motor was fine. In that regard, do you feel that ball bearing turbos generally outlast the journal? thoughts?

nomi, Like mikey indicated it's an easy install. In this other thread mikey posted an installed pic so you can see, post #73: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-doing-5.html

FOr not cutting corners, i'd say to mod the oil pan or get an ams one, get the regulator, make sure to use a reputable builder for these motors and use the correct oil. Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is to follow the builders break in directions so you don't stomp on it from mile 1. other than that just keep reading here as there is a wealth of info and i'll try my best to pick some of these folks brains
I blew up about 5-6 turbo's on the same engine so yea turbo's go when pushed hard enough and you hold it down just a little longer than everyone else

Quick Reply: Highest Mileage Built motors and turbos??