Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Highest Mileage Built motors and turbos??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed and once my motor is done I'll put my stuff on here lol keep it up guys.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well when you have a stock engine and turbo, and find black smoke consistenly comin out the back, find out stock turbo has shaft play, and check everything else out and come to find out checking everything, when checking the plugs they looked black and #3 had a little bit of oil on it. well come to find out 45 psi lower then 1, 2, 4, ****ty thing was bought the car from a shady mexican mom and pop car dealer out of warranty and only owned it 10k...but i cant say it was the cars fault, 24psi out an 03 turbo for 10k, but needed a turbo and wanted a rebuild, but your stupid if you go stock rebuild. but knowin my luck i waited 6 months backorder for the 64 mm red, to find out 80mm came out two weeks after mine arrived to the shop. so i like to think of myself as havin a race car heart in street trim, and honestly reason for my lower then normal #'s. simply ambient temp combined with 91 octane. in the dyno room it was 107* middle of july. but tuner did a great job tuning it, and soon its goin under the knife for kelford cams, map rev2 intake mani and tb, ditchin dejon tool for gruppe s 3port... but eventually want e85 since its 5 mins away....500 500 if nothin else breaks haha
Originally Posted by Broham
i wonder how come you built the motor for your red? do you feel the red @ 91 octane was making too much tq?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^^ dont worry something will break ^^ it's a evo
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
^^ dont worry something will break ^^ it's a evo
I'll have to agree with Sharkman on this, out of the past 12 months, my car has only been on the road for 3 months. My car reminds me of a saying that we have in the Navy. If you go to fly off the carrier and the CH-53 isn't sparying oil all over the flight deck then there is something wrong and don't get on.

Eventually you get to the point when you have replaced your whole car and figure nothing else can break... At that point some dumbars runs a red light and t-bones you!

Mikey
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I'll have to agree with Sharkman on this, out of the past 12 months, my car has only been on the road for 3 months. My car reminds me of a saying that we have in the Navy. If you go to fly off the carrier and the CH-53 isn't sparying oil all over the flight deck then there is something wrong and don't get on.

Eventually you get to the point when you have replaced your whole car and figure nothing else can break... At that point some dumbars runs a red light and t-bones you!

Mikey
I think your wrong on this one you replace the whole car every part and something still find's a way to break and mess up your day or night
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

I think your wrong on this one you replace the whole car every part and something still find's a way to break and mess up your day or night
exactly, like two months ago... I had just picked my car up from the shop and driving my 5 hours back home. I got 30 min from my house and the clutch line broke in half on the interstate. I was like "You fugly POS you have not even been away from the shop for 4 hours, want to go back you blistering hunk of shiz???" The evo has the worst luck of any car I have ever owned. When she is running though, she is the best car I have ever owned.

Mikey
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
exactly, like two months ago... I had just picked my car up from the shop and driving my 5 hours back home. I got 30 min from my house and the clutch line broke in half on the interstate. I was like "You fugly POS you have not even been away from the shop for 4 hours, want to go back you blistering hunk of shiz???" The evo has the worst luck of any car I have ever owned. When she is running though, she is the best car I have ever owned.

Mikey
When she running for those 10min it's like a dream, but after that POS!!!

If I had to drive 200 miles, I was scared made sure to have my AAA card and money in my pocket for the tow truck. That's why I got rid of that sucker if your not realiable no need in having you ,unless your a race car

One time , I went to upstate pushed the turbo a little 850R back then and it was a wrap had to call AMS to send me a new turbo for me to install myself because I was stuck in the booonies with no one around
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

When she running for those 10min it's like a dream, but after that POS!!!

If I had to drive 200 miles, I was scared made sure to have my AAA card and money in my pocket for the tow truck. That's why I got rid of that sucker if your not realiable no need in having you ,unless your a race car

One time , I went to upstate pushed the turbo a little 850R back then and it was a wrap had to call AMS to send me a new turbo for me to install myself because I was stuck in the booonies with no one around
I only run FP turbos and have yet to have a problem, and I push them hard. My Black spins at 160k rpms, the make shaft speed for this turbo is 130k. However I still don't have any shaft play yet

Mikey
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

So let me ask you a question is your car pushing all those 748hp ? or that's not your DD map ?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow this is real counterintuitive. If mikey is saying his black is working smooth and shark your ams kit kept blowing it doesnt make sense. I thought the journal bearing always breaks down before the ball bearing. How does a dbb turbo blow if it's getting the oil? any more details as to how it failed shark? or shall i say "they" failed
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

So let me ask you a question is your car pushing all those 748hp ? or that's not your DD map ?
Most the time, I run 650 on the streets with setting A. Setting B is 700. The map is the same as the dyno, I just run less boost. 32-33psi Setting A and 35-36psi setting B. Even on my low boost setting the turbo is spinning around 135-140k.

Originally Posted by Broham
wow this is real counterintuitive. If mikey is saying his black is working smooth and shark your ams kit kept blowing it doesnt make sense. I thought the journal bearing always breaks down before the ball bearing. How does a dbb turbo blow if it's getting the oil? any more details as to how it failed shark? or shall i say "they" failed
I believe Shark was running Journal Bearing turbos as well. He just runs 50psi all the time and from stop light to stop light

Mikey
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Even at 36psi , you hold that sucker down it will get so hott it will destory itself.

4.11 gears and yes 50psi on the highway will do that
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the 3794 might be the best turbo. it just doesnt have to work hard at all. for 30 psi e85 it is well below its efficiency range and not breaking a sweat. im sure with proper cam selectioin and a stroker motor, it can be spooled faster. according to mellons graph, 30 psi 91 oct 605 hp at 6600 rpm. this on a 2.0 engine
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhhhh.....how about not stabbing the throttle everytime you get in it? LOL :P I hope to god my luck is better then Sharks........More like Mikey's.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Shark loved some 4-5 gear highway pulls... he is a maniac

Quick Reply: Highest Mileage Built motors and turbos??