Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Extracting Spark plugs help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extracting Spark plugs help

This is not in my Evo. This is in my Friends srt4. He just bought it last week. Went to do a spark plug change and he broke all four of the spark plugs. Someone didn't use anti seize. Anyways we got three of them out by using a screw extractor. Now the fourth one is our problem. It snapped clean in half. We drilled, vacuumed, drilled, tried to extract, drilled, vacuumed etc. Finally got it to come out. Sadly some of the porcelain from the spark plug had cracked and dropped to the top of his cylinder. So we have been vacuuming the most of it. I believe its really all gone and cleaned up. But i have a feeling there are still some very small particles left in there. Now im wondering. What people may suggest to do now. We can carry on and throw the new spark plugs in and hopefully the extra small smal pieces will just burn off or something. Or do you guys think we are screwed now and if we tried starting her up it would mess things up on the cylinder or the cylinder walls? I just need some guidance for this. Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:31 AM

Great time for a head-gasket change.
If there is any porcelain in the combustion chamber it will f some stuff up.

Last edited by seventh_rx; Mar 3, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to have to go with having to pull the head off for this one. I don't see any way to be sure you got all of the pieces out and porcelain obviously is not going to just burn away. Better to be safe than sorry and pull the head.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. We ended up getting a straw attached to a funnel attached to a vacuum hose. To my knowledge we got it all cleaned out. So far its been running for a week without any problem, except he thinks he might have a boost leak or something because hes only getting 13psi instead of the 16 he use to.