Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

IX MR SE vs IX SE - slightly different than every other thread on this topic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:00 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QYK9
Both have aluminum hoods and trunk lids.
Roofs/hoods/fenders, yes. Trunk lids, no.

Originally Posted by da_yo
What about the passenger side CF dash? Is that MR only?
All IXs other than the RS.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Roofs/hoods/fenders, yes. Trunk lids, no.
I could have sworn our trunk lid is aluminum as well. It is lighter than c/f.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 04:25 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1QYK9
I could have sworn our trunk lid is aluminum as well. It is lighter than c/f.
IIRC, a dry carbon lid is ~8lbs. Fiberglass covered with CF, what one typically sees on "C/F" trunks, is considerably more heavy.

I want to say that the stock RS lid is ~17lbs, non-RS is ~20lbs, and the stock wing is ~7lbs, but I'm not positive about this.

Last edited by FJF; Mar 1, 2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2011, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

All Evo's have aluminum hoods and fenders. Trunks are steel. The only 8/9's without aluminum roofs are GSR's and 04 RS's. You can tell the difference on the roofs just by looking at them, the aluminum roofs have a kind of "grooove"? in them. Not sure how to describe it, I couldn't find any pics, but take a look at an MR, 05+ RS, or SE when you get s chance and you'll see what I mean

Roof thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...inum-roof.html

Parts weight thread:
http://highboostforum.com/forum/show...duction-thread
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:27 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I was searching for decent brake-cooling duct setups and came across this. Was first surprised to hear the IX MR's had them since my car doesn't, until the clarification below:
Originally Posted by FJF
They're actually cooling guides, not ducts. I have them on my SE (an option). If you're thinking of getting them for track days, I'd suggest ducts, instead.
Originally Posted by EricLee7481
Thanks for the correction, I didn't know what they were officially called. I'm trying to find the most cost effective brake cooling ducts/guides to put on the car. I heard the stock ones are pretty easy to break off, and the AMS one is pretty pricey. Do you know of any other kinds?

Eric
Same here, found the AMS kit a bit expensive so Ryan's post (on Page 2) below was a great find!

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Why nobody has pointed you to the BINARY brake ducting is beyond me...... VERY cost effective and a quality product.

Including buying 10' of tubing from racerparts it was about $200 total investment (plus $0.30 in zip ties)

http://www.binaryeng.com/products%20...e%20ducts.html
Now question to Eric - did you buy this kit and install? Was it easy to fit like they've shown on the website? Or would you suggest a custom fabrication & setup? What's the feedback you've gotten on this?

I'm already using CL's RC5+ pads, titanium shims & Motul RBF600 on my trackdays and I think the pads are still heating up & thinning way faster than I can afford. I guess the brake cooling ducts are a must now?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Activ8
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I was searching for decent brake-cooling duct setups and came across this. Was first surprised to hear the IX MR's had them since my car doesn't, until the clarification below:

Same here, found the AMS kit a bit expensive so Ryan's post (on Page 2) below was a great find!

Now question to Eric - did you buy this kit and install? Was it easy to fit like they've shown on the website? Or would you suggest a custom fabrication & setup? What's the feedback you've gotten on this?

I'm already using CL's RC5+ pads, titanium shims & Motul RBF600 on my trackdays and I think the pads are still heating up & thinning way faster than I can afford. I guess the brake cooling ducts are a must now?
Yes, I did buy a used set on the forum, but haven't install it yet. Just from the look of it, it seems well constructed, so I'm sure it will work pretty well. I also got the tubes as part of the deal, so I'll report back after I install it

Eric
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by EricLee7481
Yes, I did buy a used set on the forum, but haven't install it yet. Just from the look of it, it seems well constructed, so I'm sure it will work pretty well. I also got the tubes as part of the deal, so I'll report back after I install it

Eric

okies - since you're in Cali, I'm going to push you to have them done and tested before racing season starts (end March in midwest) so I can get something done for my craft. I can PM you or you can post here for everyone, whatever's better for ya. But go, go go...