Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

rock auto?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sr20det91
Use rock auto all the time. Matter of fact I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the motor in my 05. I got the oil pump, oil pump housing, complete timimg belt kit including gaskets, o-rings and seals, and water pump from them. All these parts are OEM quality or better.
Whoever was bashing on the timing belt dont know what their talking about,the one I got from Rock auto is manufactured from the same material the OEM is made from and actually feels more durable and robust. Point is for the price, quickness and customer service you get from them their hard to beat.
Just curious how do you judge parts on quality but just touch and feel? I don't understand how a timing belt feels more durable and robust. Also how did you qualify the oil pump as being great?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious how do you judge parts on quality but just touch and feel? I don't understand how a timing belt feels more durable and robust. Also how did you qualify the oil pump as being great?
Because the price was right and the build quality is top notch on the oil pump.Thats how. I've been an aircraft mechanic for a long time and working on cars for even longer. I can tell crap from quality...maybe not as scientific as some methods, but touch, feel and a little experience go a long way.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen problems with Rock Auto head gaskets and oil pumps on mitus. Contech timing belts are a problem for our cars also. Have yet to ever see one make it 60k before failure. Cant say on Rock Auto belts though.

If I am wokring on a CX Civic it probaly is worth the risk but not for our evo. Factory, gates and felpro at our shop.