Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Is the Performance Pros Out way the Cars Cons?
Yes
94.74%
No
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

I need Technical Pros and Cons on the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I need Technical Pros and Cons on the Evo

Hey guys, i needa know the technical stuff on the Evo, you know like what soo good about it, what are the pros on its performance and such, and i needa know the cons on the performance also, soo far the rust is kinda scaring me and i wanna know if its all worth to spend that much money if the performance is bad and the body is slowly deteriating.....so help and guy out and tell me the truth, don't lie and say good things about your car and not say anything bad, i know if i bought a $30k car i wouldn't say anything bad about it either.....but this is important..and i need your advice... Thanks a lot
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

The evo is the fastest and best handeling car for the money.

Please do not compare this car to a BMW. You are paying for status, name and woodgrain when buying a luxury car.
Doing so is like comparing a fuctional forged knife to a fancy platinum knife. Understand you are buying a Rally style sports car made for regular people. Do not try to get luxury, and sport in one, it always does both poorly. If you really need luxury use the EVO as a weekend car!

When you buy the Evo you are paying for parts, not interior or status! (Brembo Brakes, Recaro seats, Momo Steering wheel, Enkei rims, yoko tires)
I would like to mention the interior is excellent for those looking for a CITY race car look!

Compare the EVO to other AWD cars. Once you do that look at the price tags! The subaru is the only car that comes close for the money.
The new porsche 911, lambo, Jag, and Bentley are all AWD for 2003+
AWD works that good! You gotta test drive it to really understand!

The AWD is excellent in bad weather and is the answer for you if you hate the control of FWD and RWD. Please do not compare the Evo to any Rear Wheel Drive cars!
RWD is at a serious traction disadvantage.

The evo has serious track ability while being a decent daily driver.

This car is made for turns. The fact that it goes fast in a strait line is a bonus!

Almost 30 mpg!

Automobile magazine Car of the Year!

Forbes top 10 sports cars of all time!

Sport compact car great car for under 30,000$

Fastest Magazine times are from motortrend.com :
1/4 mile 13.08
0-60 4.59
Slalom 73.1

Hope this helps!

http://www.CarPhoto.net

Last edited by CarPhoto.net; Dec 14, 2003 at 12:46 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net

Almost 30 mpg!
I agree with everything you said. But I haven't heard of anyone getting this milage.
The most I have heard is 27 or 28 and fully on highway miles staying under 75mph. In the city the car gets more like 15,16 miles per gallon and on the highway average it seems around 23-24 at the most if you drive normally.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by amigoni

I agree with everything you said. But I haven't heard of anyone getting this milage.
The most I have heard is 27 or 28
Im a little confused there, you havent heard of it but youve heard of 28? Sound like almost 30 to me

-J
Old Dec 14, 2003, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

[i]
Fastest Magazine times are from motortrend.com :
1/4 mile 13.08
0-60 4.59
Slalom 73.1

Hope this helps!

http://www.CarPhoto.net [/B]
I love how Carphoto.net keeps bringing up this one time statistic achieved by Motor Trend. I have YET to see another test clock the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.

I think realistically, the 0-60 = 5 seconds, and the quarter is 13.5

of course, Carphoto will tell you than he can run the same times as the Motortrend one. So, in advance, let me ask you how you measured these times. If it was at the track, lets see a slip.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

The Cons. The car's paint chips. It's dash board looks like crap. The interior rattles at times. It not built with quality. I picked up an Sti brochure yesterday, and the Sti has more options than the Evo. I am not talking about the DCCD or the front LSD. I am takling about side airbags. You can get installed a 6 cd in dash with cassette player. Sub woofer. It has a better dash than the Evo. NOW THE PROS. This car will always put a smile on your face. The car will really move. It handles. It brakes. Its a track star. Its aftermarket parts catalog is growing by the day. I have a few upgrades on my Evo and whoa words cannot describe. I eat 350z's all day. I go M3 hunting at night. You will get attention every where you go. I will kill a STI any day of the week. I can just go on and on, but you get the picture. The Evo is one of the best performance for the dollars car you can buy now. PERIOD.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Here's my cons:
- terrible paint...the worst paint I've ever had and that includes my $12000 Saturn.

- The armrest material is starting to show signs of wear and I've only got 9k miles.

- I'm not where near 30 mpg. I average 18-19 mpg regardless of city or highway. the best I've ever got was 22 mpg.

The Pros:
- Everything else. The car has the best "feel" of any car I've ever driven. It's easy to drive in all weather conditions. It will fit 4 6'3" people in the car and has a usable trunk.

-Don't let the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times fool you. From a roll it's about as fast as an S2000 or 350z. The only reason the car is deep in the 13's is due to the AWD. But the nice thing is that it's very cheap and easy to get big horsepower gains. For around $2200 you can add about 70-80 whp.

- There is a limit to the power that this engine can produce. On pump gas with stock turbo you will probably not see more than 400 whp (stock is 230 whp). Going with a new turbo will raise that limit with the expense of more rpms to spool the turbo. but know that there is a limit on what this 2.0L 4 cyclinder can do....so don't expect to be beating up SupraTT's on the highway. But that's not what this car is about...this is a track car, not a drag car.

Overall I love the car. My main complaint is with the paint quality.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The AWD is excellent in bad weather and is the answer for you if you hate the control of FWD and RWD. Please do not compare the Evo to any Rear Wheel Drive cars! RWD is at a serious traction disadvantage.
I understand what you're saying, but don't be so quick to knock RWD handling! A well set-up RWD car is a real pleasure to drive (especially on the track) for a variety of reasons. Absolute grip isn't everything! I find most AWD cars are not any fun on the track because the drive to the front wheels reduces your cornering power. Remember the friction circle...the laws of physics still apply! That's why there is a natural tendency for AWD cars to understeer.

One of the amazing things about the Evo is that it's an AWD car that handles like a RWD car at the limit. Once you get past the initial bit of understeer, the car's balance neutralizes. If you keep pushing, the balance shifts to slight oversteer. This is exactly how well set-up RWD cars behave at the limit. It's a real contrast to Subarus and Audis, for example, that always feel like FWD cars (including terminal understeer and even some throttle steer...yuck!).

Emre
Old Dec 14, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Almost 30 mpg!
Almost 30 mpg!

I WISH Im geting about 200 miles to the tank....
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:19 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Paint is definitely a big minus. It had swirl marks from the day I bought it. The other one is cheap looking and small gauges. To me the rest of the interior looks better than in the STi and I'm really satisfied.
I wouldn't mind having remote release for the trunk because I got spoiled with my Hondas and a bit bigger fuel tank. This puppy certainly sucks up fuel.
Everything else I think is a pro, car feels extremely light, steering is very direct, it handles great and has a good pull too.
I'm still to see how it holds miles.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:25 PM

hehe more "facts" i see eh carphoto?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

inexpensive car highly tweaked.... if you can do better for 30k do it..I dare ya to race an evo with what you get.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

This is a raw performance car. If you want a quiet, refined smooth rids, look somewhere else. You have to be into the performance that the car offers. For me, it was hard to plop down 30k for a Lancer based car with mostly Lancer interior. I was skeptical. For the same price, I could have gotten a fully leather appointed car with all the gadgets and satellite radio, etc. But I chose the Evo after driving it and realizing nothing comes close in its price range in the power and handling category. I mean, the steering is incredible.
After having the car for 6 months, I don't regret it one bit and it's exciting to drive all the time. I now thing that maybe the car should have been more "raw" like not having power windows, locks. Hell, I'll take a fully gutted race-ready Evo. Just give me a tach and race guages.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by OZlightning

Im a little confused there, you havent heard of it but youve heard of 28? Sound like almost 30 to me

-J
Come on "almost" doesn't count.

Most people are reporting around 20mpg it seems. Saying 30mpg is leading him on and then if/when he gets one he'll come here and post asking what's wrong with his that he's only seeing maybe 20mpg.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pros: Everything on the car that has to do with performance is where the money was spent.

Cons: Everything on the car that has nothing to do with performance is OBVIOUSLY cheapy crap.

If you worry about most of the issues that some people have been whinning about than this car is not for you.

If you knew what this car is like and don't care what you hear about the car good or bad, you would already own one.

What are you waiting for?