Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wet carpeting =(

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wet carpeting =(

I own a 03 gsr. My carpeting under the feet of the driver and the passenger are getting wet constantly. I live in buffalo and its snowing/raining here now so i thought it may have been just wet feet or something.. but im starting to think its not.

Ive searched and read the possibilities on what it may be: ac lines, windshield wiper fluid?, or unsealed or missing rubber seals somewhere? I was just wondering if someone figured out what it was for sure ? I'm not sure where i should start with this problem in terms of fixing it.

I also realized that sometimes even when its dry outside... i would go somewhere, park my car for a few hours, come back and would see new wet spots on my mats so im kind of starting to think it cant be the seals? =/

thanks ahead of time for the info&help!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:13 PM

I may be wrong but i read the AC leaking is a common problem in 03s?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

oh boy hope it isnt your heater core......

evo8/9's have an issue of water creeping into the cabin via the engine harness that travels through the fender and comes behind the fuse box. the seal can go bad easily and one will travel down and corrode connectors (and possibly drip alittle on the carpet). it shouldnt be enough to wet the passenger side....

ok so this is a common issue but its very difficult to trouble shoot remotely when you aren't doing any of YOUR homework (basically expect us to spoon feed you). i'll be the guy nice though, smell the moisture and see if its radiator fluid. both radiator fluid and washer fluid have a specific tint, maybe you can dab it next time w/ a clean tissue to check.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:43 PM

i had that issue with the water creeping through the seal by the driver side feet.. it did corrode my harness and i ended up having to solder those wires. And it doesnt smell like anything else but water to me. As to the tint of those two, what should i be looking for?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

well i dont have to tell YOU the color of the two fluids... you should already know that.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:56 PM

lol well using a tissue and dabbing it, it just came out looking like dirty water
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure what could be leaking but im in buffalo also got a TB 03 GSR myself
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:48 PM

Is it coolant or water?

If its coolant its more than likely your heater core leaking.

If its water chances are that it is your A/C system building up moisture due to a clogged drain hose.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

You could also get some backlight die and add it to your coolant then check your interior. If not, pull your carpet out and wait for it to get wet and see where it's coming from
Old Mar 9, 2011, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kvinh90
lol well using a tissue and dabbing it, it just came out looking like dirty water
now you already said it doesnt smell like radiator fluid when its wet and theres no green tint to the moisture so doesnt sound like leaking heater core. im going to guess your driver side fender is still leaking. also are you using the grommet on the passenger side by the firewall to run your boost control lines etc? that is also known to run alittle moisture into the cabin too.

wrap tissue etc around the line coming into the driver fender and any lines coming through the firewall grommet(if you have it)... as you said the water will be dirty even IF it dries too quickly you'll spot it if water is traveling along the lines. ok? report back on that.

also did you replace the windshield not long ago? the seals may be bad and water is leaking through and running down the A-pillar onto your carpet.

Last edited by mifesto; Mar 9, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had this exact problem on passenger side carpet getting wet during rainy times. THe cause ended up being improper seal under the left passenger side wheel area. look under the left wheel underneath to see the leak. if its water of course, but if its coolant thats another story