Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Would you let your significant other drive your EVO?
Yes
46.48%
No
37.56%
Maybe
15.96%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Do you let the significant other drive your evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let her drive the car a few times... I always tell her to "Juice it" lolllll.... She let me drive her 996TT so I figured I'd return the favor... She hates on the evo all the time bc she used to drive an STI... but I can tell she secretly loves my car... and she look like this when she drives the Evo ---->
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt teach anyone how to drive stick in my evo. But I taught her in my civic so she already knew how to drive standard. Shes a very very good driver so I dont mind at all. She hated the idea of getting an evo because she wanted a tl or g35x. So i did what i had to do and showed up to the house with our new ix. her exact words after a few hours of driving around " I wouldnt want any other car"
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I vote no, my wife will not learn to drive manual. Which also limits our choices in what car we will purchase for fun. She wants a red convertible, she likes the S2k but will not learn how to drive a stick. The only fun cars out there that are red, convertible and auto are............nevermind, there are none. Plus she has all the standard complaints about my car, too fast, bumpy ride, yada yada yada
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

I made a deal with my wife when we got married 8 years ago that I would buy her a 240sx that she wanted in auto as long as she'd learn to drive a stick so I could convert it.... Guess what she never learned how to do.
Oh, I've tried. It resulted in clutches begging for mercy, rolling backwards down hills, panic attacks when directed to pull onto roads, and many many tears. She did progress, it just wasn't worth the headache.

So, no, she'll not drive my evo but for extreme emergencies. No way I'm going to teach her on a twin plate, big turbo, cammed car.

/I ended up inheriting that 240 and swapping it anyways.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd let my wife drive the car if she wasn't prone to hitting things with the front bumper.

And between with lighten flywheel, clutch and the stiff mounts I don't think she would want to.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes it's a car, it's insured, and only a damn $10k Mitsubishi.

Not sure I see the issue
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did one time... and she loved it so much that she said I wasn't getting it back. So, I solved that by getting her one of her own. Now we cruise around together with HIS and HERS Evos!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:17 PM

She drove it a few times when I was wasted... so every weekend....
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope... Cause if she ever learns to drive stick it will no longer be "MY" EVO. Im whipped like that.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

For the guys saying...why not its only a car? You obviously dont like your car as much as me and some people on here....It's like your baby. I dont have a gf or wife since I'm crazy picky but if/when I do get married I'll have to trust her to drive it, then again I wouldnt marry a chick I dont trust but you get my point. I do have a Close best friend and I would trust her driving mine, and I think it's sexy as hell when I can trust a girl with it and sit back and watch her smoke another dude with it, plus when shes sexy and all dressed up that makes it even better
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:50 AM

I am currently teaching my wife how to drive a stick too with my evo. She wants to drive a Lotus Elise, so she'd better start practicing now!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:44 AM

My wife has driven mine a few times but she doesn't like the stiff clutch. She prefers to drive the S2K. I think it's sorta funny that some guys are so into their cars they don't let others drive them. Any of my friends and family are welcome to my cars and the experience.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:07 AM

Yes and she LOVES it! She isn't the best driver but she knows how to push it...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

i remember teaching my wife how to drive stick but it was in my 95 celica. it cost me a clutch. but she learned and when i had my built 97 gsx, she was able to drive it with the stage 3 clutch. but for some reason, she can't handle the act in the evo. to stiff for her i guess. my bros drive my car but i don't let them take it for road trips. just around town because insurance reasons. friends have driven my car but i know who to let drive and who not to. i have friends that will beat on cars merciless and dont care so them guys i say no to but if you're responsible and respectful you're more than welcome. just gotta pay for gas now since it's going up to 4 bux.

Last edited by whitedsm97; Mar 14, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:33 AM

I let friends who also care for their cars as well drive it. At least I know they will show respect and treat it right. Those that drives beaters or don't have a dime to their name, forgetaboutit.